Any Shotokan Karate stylist in full contact Kickboxing?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to see a high level Shotokan stylist in a Kickboxing ring. See how it pans out with boxing gloves. Do you guys know of any full contact Kickboxer who used Shotokan Karate?

No but I'd be interested too. I suspect Shotokan would not do as well with big gloves because karate in general is really designed for gloveless fighting (long stance etc). But I suspect if they made some adjustments it could do well.

Kickboxing is full of Karate practitioners, but I can't think of anyone specific to Shotokan. To me it doesn't translate well. Distancing can be stifled in a ring and no punches to the face is huge. Most of the new generation of Japanese fighters from Karate backgrounds have had gloved punches to the face incorporated into the training from the start.

Well, Horiguchi will make his kickboxing debut in September.

Well, Horiguchi will make his kickboxing debut in September.

Horiguchi ain't shotokan.
Edit: you are right
Re-edit: No he ain't Shotokan
Sports Karate ftw whatever it is, probably various offshoots of karate that exists in japan
RE-REedit: Apparently, he studies Shotokan karate, when asked what style he studies, so not sure what it is, his base isn't shotokan it appears

Last edited:
I would like to see a high level Shotokan stylist in a Kickboxing ring. See how it pans out with boxing gloves. Do you guys know of any full contact Kickboxer who used Shotokan Karate?

Can you imagine Macheeta in a boxing ring? I don't think it works well.

But, who knows.

Massiave Machida fan btw.

Kickboxing is full of Karate practitioners, but I can't think of anyone specific to Shotokan. To me it doesn't translate well. Distancing can be stifled in a ring and no punches to the face is huge. Most of the new generation of Japanese fighters from Karate backgrounds have had gloved punches to the face incorporated into the training from the start.
The currently successful ones have all been... kyokushin? What does Tenshin, Takeru do. I know they are all karate guys who transitiones to MT.

All Shotokan competitions have punches to the face. Bare knuckled face punching in Japan, gloves elsewhere. There nowdays exists a full contact org called Karate Combat

Last edited:
Can you imagine Macheeta in a boxing ring? I don't think it works well.

But, who knows.

Massiave Machida fan btw.

You mean Kickboxing ring. Can you imagine Kickboxers in a boxing ring? Ray Sefo got raped by a journey man outside of the top 50. And Sefo had good hands by Muay Thai standards.

Apart from the natural born boxing talents like Somart (who was a great boxer by any standard) KB get creamed in boxing.

You mean Kickboxing ring. Can you imagine Kickboxers in a boxing ring? Ray Sefo got raped by a journey man outside of the top 50. And Sefo had good hands by Muay Thai standards.

Apart from the natural born boxing talents like Somart (who was a great boxer by any standard) KB get creamed in boxing.

kickboxing produced bunch of boxing champions.

Vitali was of course from KB but he's the exception. Good fighter but dreadful technically:confused:

The currently successful ones have all been... kyokushin? What does Tenshin, Takeru do. I know they are all karate guys who transitiones to MT.

Yeah, all either Ashihara, Kyokushin or Shin Karate.

I don't recall any fighter with a Kickboxing base challenging Sugar Ray Leonard, Iron Mike, etc. They were all pure boxers.

The Klitschkos were kickboxers. Other then that Alexander Ustinov, Alexander Povetkin, Marco Huck, Chris Algieri and bunch of others.

Wlad wasn't a Kickboxer.

yes, point still stands. plenty of successful crossovers, even more so if you take muay thai into the consideration which has produced a bunch of world champion level fighters.

Last edited:
point still stands. plenty of successful crossovers.

Well yeah. Punchers are born, not made. Probably not a good idea to keep them in a KB gym though, unless the instructor has done both. That was my point.

I believe Somart did train Boxing as well. He didn't go straight from Muay Thai to Boxing. But to his credit, he didn't train Boxing very long before he became champ. So it's still a remarkable feat.

Well yeah. Punchers are born, not made. Probably not a good idea to keep them in a KB gym though, unless the instructor has done both. That was my point.

I believe Somart did train Boxing as well. He didn't go straight from Muay Thai to Boxing. But to his credit, he didn't train Boxing very long before he became champ. So it's still a remarkable feat.
Samart is just one of countless NakMuay to transiston into boxing and win legit world titles (WBA, WBO, IBF, etc...)

A lot of Muay Thai gyms in Thailand have dedicated Boxing trainers and fighters.

All Shotokan competitions have punches to the face. Bare knuckled face punching in Japan, gloves elsewhere. There nowdays exists a full contact org called Karate Combat
That's news to me can you show me these bare knuckle punch to the face competions?

Back