Any series of title fights closer than Woodley/Thompson?

Kinosis

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just finished watching Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson 1 and 2. The first fight wasn't a bad fight, the second one was pretty boring until the last 20 seconds. I actually scored both fights a draw because of the round by round scoring (though judged like a Pride fight..aggression, damage, which is how I judge them Woodley won). Has there ever been a series of title fights between two guys that were as close as this series?

The first one was a majority draw (two judges scored it a draw, one scored it for Woodley). The second one was a majority win (two judges scored it for Woodley, one scored it a draw).

Idk the second fight wasn't that close

The judges are just idiots

Who won in your view?

As far as the official scores go, the Henderson/Edgar series turned out as a decision win, and a split decision win, both for Henderson. So Woodley/Thompson was still officially closer fights, but in terms of actual outcome it will be interesting to compare them.

Who won in your view?

As far as the official scores go, the Henderson/Edgar series turned out as a decision win, and a split decision win, both for Henderson. So Woodley/Thompson was still officially closer fights, but in terms of actual outcome it will be interesting to compare them.

I thought Bendo won the first, but that it could go either way. I thought Frankie won the first time I watched it, but after a couple viewings I thought Benson deserved a close win. The second one I thought Frankie won every round but the first and should have easily won the decision

Henderson-Shogun I and II for the PRIDE Middleweight title

If by "closer" you mean "nothing happening" then no probably not. The first fight, there were 7 significant strikes landed in the first 10 minutes ... between the two of them ...

How the fuck are you supposed to score fights where they just stare at each other and play fight? I think the 2nd fight was a more clear victory for Woodley, but still boring as fuck.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I might actually rewatch them pretty soon. Thanks!
Yea, I mean neither fight was a draw at all, so if you go off the judge's scorecards, they werent as close. But, I think both of the fights could have gone either way, as no one did any real damage and it was about how you perceived the rounds. I also had Edgar winning the second fight, but given that there wasnt much damage and both were scoring points, its really hard to say who won in my view. The fact that Tyron did serious damage in both fights makes me feel they werent as close, although if you go round by round etc, I can see how the fights were very close.

Yea, I mean neither fight was a draw at all, so if you go off the judge's scorecards, they werent as close. But, I think both of the fights could have gone either way, as no one did any real damage and it was about how you perceived the rounds. I also had Edgar winning the second fight, but given that there wasnt much damage and both were scoring points, its really hard to say who won in my view.

Yeah, I care much more about watching them myself than what judges say. I'll check them out again, it's been a long time since I've seen either one.

Yeah, I care much more about watching them myself than what judges say. I'll check them out again, it's been a long time since I've seen either one.
Agreed. Judge's opinions are just another opinion. Sometimes, I think fans have better views of the fight from a TV vs. judges sitting cageside.

It definitely wasn't Dillashaw-Garbrandt that's for damn sure.

canelo/ggg. sorry i know it doesn't belong in this thread but thats also all I can think about right now

Back