Any post rock fans here?

Not sure what that term means. I would love to post some rock right now.

It's music like this

I like it. "Post rock" is an interesting term for it. It sounds like the kind of music that might be played by rockers in an apocalyptic post-rock world. New beginnings and all that, the dawn of a new era. Thank you!

coincidentally I just saw deafheaven, emma ruth rundle, and this will destroy you last night (love their newer stuff so much). i've been pining to see ERR for years now and she was great; everyone was great.
I used to be into post rock a lot more when i was younger, even lame saxon shore, old explosion's - the uplifting shit. mono, pelican, russian circles, red sparowes still hold up for me. i don't see very many post rock local acts around detroit to grand rapids anymore.

i'll post the classic for ya ;)

I love Tortoise. Seen them about a dozen times and it's always a cerebral experience. Those guys are just awesome musicians.

My first Sonic Youth show in 2000 had Stereolab opening and I liked them. Caught Mogwai at a festival playing a set before Sonic Youth a few years later but they were a bit too ambient for my tastes.

Also caught Pelican a few times but they're considered "post metal."

Not sure what that term means.

It's music without hooks, strong melodies or groove. And it must be played with zero sincerity or passion. It must instead be performed with a sense of personal disconnection and irony.

It's the best!

Like most genres. there's some stuff I like and some I don't.

This is a pretty good jam

I dig that a lot, sounds like it could be off a Yo La Tengo album. I need to check out more Stereolab, I really liked them live. I just am so all over the place in genres and bands I listen to that some get lost in the shuffle. It was mostly about the live experience for me for a long time but I don't get out to nearly as many shows as I used to.

I dig that a lot, sounds like it could be off a Yo La Tengo album. I need to check out more Stereolab, I really liked them live. I just am so all over the place in genres and bands I listen to that some get lost in the shuffle. It was mostly about the live experience for me for a long time but I don't get out to nearly as many shows as I used to.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I posted the live version because to me hearing it live is part of the experience. I got to see Sonic Youth back in the 90's open for Neil Young. It was actually Social Distortion/Sonic Youth/Neil Young. Its still, after all these years, one of my favorite concerts.

And its funny you should mention Yo La Tengo. I was just listening to them earlier today on the WFMU All Request Marathon. They do it every year to raise money for the station.

(Here's a good thread with all the set lists/songs they played today

http://www.metafilter.com/165739/Yo-La-Tengo-WFMU-All-Request-Marathon-TODAY )

And I always got a Sister Ray vibe from the Stereolab song

Exactly! That Sister Ray, downtempo, chick loaded on quaaludes type of sound is what a lot of Yo La Tengo stuff with Georgia singing reminds me of. The few Stereolab songs I've checked out on YouTube as a result of this thread have that same type of vibe which is is great.

Mogwai is a fave. Saw em at first avenue in Minneapolis. Was fun.

Mogwai is a fave. Saw em at first avenue in Minneapolis. Was fun.
I saw them at first ave back in 2005 ish..I was amazed at the loudness, especially the bass. Just recently saw them again in Boulder for their Atomic tour.

Surfing on dubbs? You should go easy for a while.

Came here to recommend something for post rock fans. This track is the opener from their melting sun album. It's the first of their albums where Neige from Alcest is not the singer.

Volume up and listen till the end. Did you hear the azure chimes?

I generally don't like post-rock, but these guys are simply amazing!

I enjoy it, depends a lot on the artist though, some like Mogwai make it interesting with more than a drone atmosphere. It crosses over a lot with ambient music.

Back