Any one got a gif/name of a boxer who used the casting punch to KO someone in boxing?

Nunn over Kalambay?

nope but thanks for trying, that is a regular boxing long hook, it was long and his arms were long, but this thing is like a hook with almost 0 bend at the elbow, its like using the fist as a ball on a chain, obviously theres some bend still but even less than the boxing long hooks.

The best way to guage it is look at his boxing glove the thumb is pointing to the floor and he is illegally hitting with the top of the glove on the knuckles like how a spinning back fist connects

Sounds like it was just an overhand that landed on the top of the fist.

nope but thanks for trying, that is a regular boxing long hook, it was long and his arms were long, but this thing is like a hook with almost 0 bend at the elbow, its like using the fist as a ball on a chain, obviously theres some bend still but even less than the boxing long hooks.

The best way to guage it is look at his boxing glove the thumb is pointing to the floor and he is illegally hitting with the top of the glove on the knuckles like how a spinning back fist connects

Bolded: That in itself isn't illegal in boxing. Lots of guys, especially Cubans & guys from ex-Soviet countries, turn their hands over on a hook like that.

edit: example
eflAx.gif

Last edited:
Looks like a Ronda Rousey turn your punches over way too much technique to me.

Bolded: That in itself isn't illegal in boxing. Lots of guys, especially Cubans & guys from ex-Soviet countries, turn their hands over on a hook like that.

edit: example
eflAx.gif

nope that a russian style long hook, not a casting punch, while his thumb is slightly down his arm is not floppy and it doesn't connect with the TOP of the hand like a BACK FIST, hes still hitting with the front legal part of the glove

Are you talking about Indongo's KO of Troyanovsky?

Lol, nobody seems happy by what happened here besides the fighter and his corner. The crowd and even the announcers seem genuinely
disappointed.

Lol, nobody seems happy by what happened here besides the fighter and his corner. The crowd and even the announcers seem genuinely
disappointed.

I never noticed the photographer getting up close pictures of Troyanovsky as he's still completely out of it on the ground. That's a tad tasteless.

I never noticed the photographer getting up close pictures of Troyanovsky as he's still completely out of it on the ground. That's a tad tasteless.

Now most broadcasts won't even show a replay until the guy is up and about.

nope that a russian style long hook

Uh huh. That's what I said.

not a casting punch

I didn't say it was. I said that hitting with that part of the knuckle wasn't inherently illegal. And it's not. I've never seen a rule that says you can't strike with the back most portion of the knuckle. Maybe not a scoring blow in the old computer-scoring days but not an illegal one.

If a rule does exist, please link. I've never heard of or seen such a thing though.

while his thumb is slightly down his arm is not floppy and it doesn't connect with the TOP of the hand like a BACK FIST, hes still hitting with the front legal part of the glove

Oh you mean the back of the hand?

I watched the tutorial and I gotta say, it looks like a pretty ineffective punch to throw.

this is not how fedor throws them either fedors using boxing hooks not casting punche, the american sonnen here is using a casting punch as seen in the video, notice thumb all the way down and arm almost completely extended! Thats not the russian style long hook that partially turns the fist down and has the elbow bent at about 145 degrees, not fully extended
chaelsilva.jpg

angle_145_32623_lg.gif

Boxing long hook, Fedor Hook Igors etc all BOXING

Casting hook angle, the video, sonnens punch etc NOT BOXING SAMBO!

angle_175_32653_lg.gif

Yeah it looks pretty fucking ridiculous if you ask me.

seen it used twice 1 boxer got a ko with it, sonnen rocked anderson with it, thats all ive ever seen of it, pretty good tale of the tape so far

it looks like a drunk throwing a closeline but its better than it seems at first glance,its motion is fairly economical unlike a big swing, because the slip gets the punch closer to the target faster and makes it travel a less circular path

Its long range

Its unexpected, weird angle , its longer range than they will be expecting

Its powerful enough to KO even without anyy solid structure or full bodyweight behind it much like the spinning backfist is also quite powerful enough to KO anyway, unlike the spinning backfist its a practical higher percentage punch not a high risk/reward strike

It sets up throws/clinches

Last edited:
Thats not the russian style long hook that partially turns the fist down

No one said it was.

edit: holy shit. I just saw your other posts. That's an awful lot of rustle for someone just correcting your incorrect statement that hitting with the top of the knuckles was "illegal".

No one said it was.

edit: holy shit. I just saw your other posts. That's an awful lot of rustle for someone just correcting your incorrect statement that hitting with the top of the knuckles was "illegal".

my jimmies are easily rustled what you wanna do?

my jimmies are easily rustled what you wanna do?

Not going to lie, this post really caught me off guard.

Hmmm shit. Well, since you seem to have abandoned the discussion about legality, I suppose I'll get a glass of water. Good luck finding the fight I guess.

Is it just me, or does this thread reek of someone who just learned about some "super-secret MMA" technique and tried to show off in the boxing forum?

Back