Any old man strikers in here?

40 here and possibly having my first Am MT fight in Oct.. I can't train nowhere near as much as the young guns at the gym, I just try to train smart

35 here.. Just notice that I cant eat crap anymore and expect to stay in shape. Also going to start BJJ because I think you can do that in your 70's. Dont see myself boxing after 70, but who knows. I can always do Tai Chi.

35 here.. Just notice that I cant eat crap anymore and expect to stay in shape. Also going to start BJJ because I think you can do that in your 70's. Dont see myself boxing after 70, but who knows. I can always do Tai Chi.

I’ve gained more injuries from BJJ than any of the stand up arts and powerlifting I’ve done over the years. Hahaha. But I still love it. Though I’m sure it will put me in a wheelchair early. Lol

Non competitive BJJ (just rolling) is way less injury prone than Non competitive MT (sparring)

Competitive BJJ is way more injury prone than competitive MT.

At 41 Blue belt I’m guaranteed to come out of a (even a local) BJJ tournament with something hurt or pulled.

A smoker, if I don’t over train. I could come out fine.

A guy I train kickboxing with just turned 69 and spars 2x/week for 8-10 rd’s. He hardly ever kicks, and his shoulders and elbows are worn down, but the 165 lb dude has some surprisingly heavy hands and outworks a lot of guys in their 20’s due to his pressure and volume. Gives me hope for the next 30+ years.

If thats the case.. why not start at ate 30-40 with western boxing if you are not kicking etc in the future?

I'm 56. I started in shotokan in my 20s. I switched to BJJ and did it for 20 years. I am now doing Shotokan again. I am way healthier doing shotokan. During BJJ, I always hurt. I train shotokan 6 days a week. Many times, morning and night. I have never felt better.

Age is just a number. I used to get sore in my 20's. I get sore now. No big deal. I think you just have to listen to your body, not take dumb risks, and rest when you need it. No different than when you were young.

Fisrt time posting, been lurking for a while.

Im 36 been training two years this month Muay Thai. Have my 4th amateur fight in October. Run every morning and train 4-6 times a week(muay thai).

Dont feel like im slowing down just yet.

Back