Any of you sherbros going hunting this year? (Hunting brahs gtfih!)

That sounds really nice man ! You are fortunate to have that at your disposal. My Dad has a little vacant piece , its only 20 acres , about 30 minutes from my house that we use for camping and having pig roasts , target shooting ECT and I feel fortunate to have that. I'm in the middle of the yuppyfied suburbs , so I appreciate the shit out of the open space.

How often are you able to get to your place? I think 2 hours is about the outer limit of where I'd like to be , ideally about 90 minutes. Do you find the drive a major obstacle to using it as much as you'd like?

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/147_Acres_in_Amherst_County-4696999/

A decent example of the something in the area I'm zeroed in on , though having decent water on it is a requirement for me.
I'm trapped in the city so I like to get away to country as well. During hunting season I'm usually at my place every weekend. Other than that I'm not out there very often anymore unless I'm doing work there to prepare for deer season or turkey season. I used to go camping out there & fishing often, but not so much anymore. I bought a bass boat a few years ago so now my passion is bass fishing. I try to get out bass fishing every weekend until it gets cold. Once it gets cold, I'm back in hunting mode & at the farm every weekend.

My place is actually 1 hour & 40 minutes away so i don't consider it that long of a drive. Could be a lot longer. But yeah 2 hours is about as far as I'd want my place to be from me. The way I see it is if I hunt Sunday evening, i want to make it home at a decent time so i can wake up early Monday morning.

That place you'd be interested in looks really nice. Definitely more scenic than my spot. Looks like a nice area. My place is actually for sale right now & pray to god it doesn't sell. My dad & uncle want the money & there's nothing I can do about it. My grandpa bought the place in 1970 & he told them to never sell it.

I'm trapped in the city so I like to get away to country as well. During hunting season I'm usually at my place every weekend. Other than that I'm not out there very often anymore unless I'm doing work there to prepare for deer season or turkey season. I used to go camping out there & fishing often, but not so much anymore. I bought a bass boat a few years ago so now my passion is bass fishing. I try to get out bass fishing every weekend until it gets cold. Once it gets cold, I'm back in hunting mode & at the farm every weekend.

My place is actually 1 hour & 40 minutes away so i don't consider it that long of a drive. Could be a lot longer. But yeah 2 hours is about as far as I'd want my place to be from me. The way I see it is if I hunt Sunday evening, i want to make it home at a decent time so i can wake up early Monday morning.

That place you'd be interested in looks really nice. Definitely more scenic than my spot. Looks like a nice area. My place is actually for sale right now & pray to god it doesn't sell. My dad & uncle want the money & there's nothing I can do about it. My grandpa bought the place in 1970 & he told them to never sell it.

Thats a bummer about it being on the market. I'm sure that million bucks dangling out there is tempting as hell for your old man , but shit , like you say it'll only increase in value . I guess that equation looks a little different when you're 65 than it does at 35 though.
Maybe you could pick up something of your own and not have to worry about the whims of others ? In my experience land always seems prohibitively expensive when your are looking to buy , and I could kick myself for not buying more when it was so cheap in hindsight.

Anyway , thanks for the responses and happy hunting this fall.

Thats a bummer about it being on the market. I'm sure that million bucks dangling out there is tempting as hell for your old man , but shit , like you say it'll only increase in value . I guess that equation looks a little different when you're 65 than it does at 35 though.
Maybe you could pick up something of your own and not have to worry about the whims of others ? In my experience land always seems prohibitively expensive when your are looking to buy , and I could kick myself for not buying more when it was so cheap in hindsight.

Anyway , thanks for the responses and happy hunting this fall.
Yeah it's a bummer. Unfortunately they aren't hunters & don't appreciate land. They just want the money. They've already sold the other 2 farms. One farm sold for 14 million. My grandpa bought the place for about 100k knowing the land would sky rocket in value. I think it's ridiculous that they need more money, but it's all out of my control. Right now I'm just hoping for one more good season out of it.

If the farm does sell I'll get 1% of the money which isn't shit, but at least it's something. Someday I'd like to buy my own place, but I have a long way to go before I can afford it.

And good luck to you too! Can't wait for the leaves to start changing colors & the temps to start dropping

Yes. My family has a 2000 acre ranch in Nuevo Leon, MX. White tail for sure. I'll probably shoot a few coyote just for fun while I'm out there.
I'm also after a bobcat but they're elusive as fuck.

Wouldn't the squirrel literally blow up if you shot it with .223 and wouldn't be much left of the squirrel afterwards?
Yeah, not squirrel. But they're great for coyote, groundhogs, hogs, things like that.

Going hunting this year for the first time in my life. Im either going to use my AK, .357 breach load rifle or a 12 gauge. Im hunting for the meat, so ill take whatever walks in front of me.

Any tips for a noob?

Cant this year all my vacay is for my holidays are for my wedding amd honeymoon. Otherwise i would be bear hunting.

Fuck. I am useless.

Keep saying i will get my license and go. Still cant understand why people come here to hate on hunters. Sure, there are blood thirsty hunters that just like to kill. But imo, if you are not a vegetarian, you dont have the right to say shit about hunters.

Going hunting this year for the first time in my life. Im either going to use my AK, .357 breach load rifle or a 12 gauge. Im hunting for the meat, so ill take whatever walks in front of me.

Any tips for a noob?

How long is a piece of string ?

What are you hunting and where? Are you jump shooting ruffed grouse in the Appalachians or going after Mule deer in New Mexico?

I haven't come across that rule yet, but I understand it won't be fair to the animal if a hunter has 30 round mag. Where do you go hunting? Would you know a specific brand of 223 ammo that you personally use and know is effective against animals like deer, bears, boar, and elk? I want to get a .308 rifle, specifically the Ruger Precision rifle but that thing is $1,500.

Bear and Elk is pretty much out of the question. If they were close and you blasted away it would most likely do the job but it's not really a good choice to hunt with on large game.

That ruger is good for target shooting but wouldn't be good with hunting. Thing weighs a lot.

For example a weatherby vanguard is a great cheap rifle to get into for hunting.

I don't have first hand experience with many of these but I've done lots of research. Rounds you can look into in addition to the tsx and swift would be the speer 75gr gold dot, Winchester RA556B 64gr bonded solid base(can be found on gun broker) and many of the offerings with the 62gr TBBC bullet. The 62gr tbbc is what I have experience using on a couple Coyotes. Speer gold dot has the same bullet construction as the tbbc.

Those 5 rounds are extremely popular for use against deer, hogs, etc. People use all different kinds but those seem to be universally liked and proven performers.

Also if you think you'll only hunt out to around 100 yards some of the fragmenting rounds are also good. 77gr TMK, 64gr Power Point, etc.

How long is a piece of string ?

What are you hunting and where? Are you jump shooting ruffed grouse in the Appalachians or going after Mule deer in New Mexico?

Deer in Indiana. Not sure how we will be hunting.

Didnt get drawn for a deer tag again this year so i will be focusing on coyote hunting. I prefer coyote hunting over deer hunting due to having to call in a very smart and keen predator (seeing them sneak in to your call from a distance is an adrenaline rush). I use a foxpro e-caller with many different calls than can be placed over 100 yards from where I set up (they are suckers for pup distress calls). Once the mosquitoes get frozen up in ND I will be out calling.

I was all cool with this until the pup distress call thing. Now I kinda feel weird about it.

Using that call seems just kinda wrong. Not sure why.

I was all cool with this until the pup distress call thing. Now I kinda feel weird about it.

Using that call seems just kinda wrong. Not sure why.

A lot of the predator calls sound awful.

Distressed pigs, cats, rabbits, pups, etc.

Bear and Elk is pretty much out of the question. If they were close and you blasted away it would most likely do the job but it's not really a good choice to hunt with on large game.

That ruger is good for target shooting but wouldn't be good with hunting. Thing weighs a lot.

For example a weatherby vanguard is a great cheap rifle to get into for hunting.

I don't have first hand experience with many of these but I've done lots of research. Rounds you can look into in addition to the tsx and swift would be the speer 75gr gold dot, Winchester RA556B 64gr bonded solid base(can be found on gun broker) and many of the offerings with the 62gr TBBC bullet. The 62gr tbbc is what I have experience using on a couple Coyotes. Speer gold dot has the same bullet construction as the tbbc.

Those 5 rounds are extremely popular for use against deer, hogs, etc. People use all different kinds but those seem to be universally liked and proven performers.

Also if you think you'll only hunt out to around 100 yards some of the fragmenting rounds are also good. 77gr TMK, 64gr Power Point, etc.

Should probably be noted that the 223/5.56 is not legal for hunting deer or bear in lots of states. 23 cal or larger in my state I believe.

Should probably be noted that the 223/5.56 is not legal for hunting deer or bear in lots of states. 23 cal or larger in my state I believe.

True. Mine is just centerfire.

People using shitty fmj is the reason for that. Good ammo will absolutely drop deer.

Speer gd jsp
223GoldDot64grCS24448_p14.875_w64gr_e.jpg

ve26tsx7x93x3b11vvdu9wd7gxepoonh.jpg

TSX
barnes2.jpg

lSJKqkj.jpg

True. Mine is just centerfire.

People using shitty fmj is the reason for that. Good ammo will absolutely drop deer.

Speer gd jsp
223GoldDot64grCS24448_p14.875_w64gr_e.jpg

ve26tsx7x93x3b11vvdu9wd7gxepoonh.jpg

TSX
barnes2.jpg

lSJKqkj.jpg

No doubt , white tail deer aren't particularly difficult to put down.

I've never been despite living in one of the redneckiest of redneck states in the country. I'd really like to. Seems like a good skill to have plus venison is delicious.

Back