Any ideas for soemthing I can punch thats quiet so the neibours wont hear?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
There doesn't have to be any resistance its just for technique form.

Or am I just better off practicing on the air for form? Since thats harder anyway?

Its such an anti social habit!

I can go to a gym or outside for a heavy bag but its nice to just practice when I feel like it in my boxer shorts unwashed I find I get more done that way

yea shadowboxing the air is better for form. Or shadow box with dumbells.

if you want to go berserk on something, then you can try the pillow. Or even hang/tape 1-2 pillows onto the wall.

wall_punch_bag_3.jpg

This is what Bruce Lee used. Not sure what that is. Looks like a pillow to me.

I guess I could use

if you want to go berserk on something, then you can try the pillow. Or even hang/tape 1-2 pillows onto the wall.

wall_punch_bag_3.jpg

Thats a great way to break your hand lol

No the walls cause wayyy too much noise

I guess it has to be the air, it seems with the bag you rely on it for balance so its probably better to practice on the air

I guess the only way to practice full power is on a bag outside

Maybe I will make a foam bag inside hanging, foam is very quiet

Tie a small piece of paper to a string and hang it from the ceiling lamp. Train punching on it to increase your precision. The piece of paper should be small but large enough for the air resistance to keep it from swinging too much.

you can never dampen the actual sound of the impact, but if you are worried about the sound resonating through the ceiling mount (which makes it sound like drumming on the next floor) you can always try a poor bob
https://www.geezersboxing.co.uk/century-poor-bob-body-opponent-xl Its available everywhere. only fill it with sand and not water (with water it "walks around" when hit).

It is not a heavy bag, but it is a decent second best.

you might also try kicking and punching with resistance bands
there are a lot of stuff I disagree with the girl in this vid about, but the basic idea gets across.

You can do shadowboxing or formal techniques, as you want.
It is not a heavy bag, but it is good complementary training to hitting air, its cheap -and it is as close to completely silent as it gets.

I have heard punching with dumbbells is counter productive. No idea if it's true or not, but my gut feeling is that it is.

I have heard punching with dumbbells is counter productive. No idea if it's true or not, but my gut feeling is that it is.
If you’re not good at punching I can definitely see it being detrimental. But if you have the technique down and your shoulders are conditioned, then dumbells is great conditioning. Especially the jab hand

Depends, do you have a quiet wife / gf?

wall_punch_bag_3.jpg

thats not a pillow i don't know what it is called, but it is filled with beans or something else hard, it is used to condition the knuckles most tam schools i have been to use those. furthermore several boxing gyms i have been to have something similar they will have a uppercut stand which serves a similar purpose or will hang up a pad on a solid concrete wall for you to blast full force developing the connectivity from everything to the punch.

Or am I just better off practicing on the air for form? Since thats harder anyway?

I can go to a gym or outside for a heavy bag but its nice to just practice when I feel like it in my boxer shorts unwashed I find I get more done that way

Do you have banana trees in the backyard? You are not a Thai boxer so the workout should be like a mouse pissing on cotton in comparison:

Do you have a bunch of cut down trees stacked in your backyard perchance? Methinks it would make a great training tool.

kostya tszu did it with small hand weights for conditioning.

Some say the stuff the Thais be doing is more like broscience but that 50-0 boxer guy seems to do it too:

a dumbbell is a weight. once it is in motion you need to stop that motion or it will try to hyper-extend your arm if you throw long straight punches. so either you practice to hold back the punch, or injure your elbow. but if you throw hooks or short range stuff, it is safe.
However, dumbbells pulls down to the ground by gravity, not back against the punch direction. so unless the purpose of the exercise is develop muscles enough to not drop the guard, they are... not optimal. resistance bands are better.

Last edited:
a dumbbell is a weight. once it is in motion you need to stop that motion or it will try to hyper-extend your arm if you throw long straight punches. so either you practice to hold back the punch, or injure your elbow. but if you throw hooks or short range stuff, it is safe.
However, dumbbells pulls down to the ground by gravity, not back against the punch direction. so unless the purpose of the exercise is develop muscles enough to not drop the guard, they are... not optimal. resistance bands are better.

Ya these are the criticisms I've heard of dumbbells, and without having any actual properly conducted studies, my gut feeling says they're totally valid.

It doesn't matter how many people do a particular excercise, it still might be useless or even harmful. For example tons of TMAs still "warmup" by doing knee circles, which is a great way to condition yourself to blow your ACL out.

Edit: Another criticism of dumbbells is that they build slow endurance muscle rather than fast explosive muscle (in the wrong place even), another thing the bungies do better.

A mail order bride.

<Goldie11>

GGG prefers the smaller one, but it seems like smaller is a little louder. The bigger ones are damn near silent.

Hang it using a cord, straps, or rope instead of chains, that way it wont make that annoying loud jangle every time.

GGG prefers the smaller one, but it seems like smaller is a little louder. The bigger ones are damn near silent.

Hang it using a cord, straps, or rope instead of chains, that way it wont make that annoying loud jangle every time.

Looks good. But Im not sure I would want he big ones in my home. Sooner or later it will spring a leak.

Back