any good portable android gaming console?

panzer723

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any suggestion on portable android gaming console?

Maybe, Nvidia JXD S192 - the best Android gaming consol:)

I have one of these that I use for emulators. You can also run it through a Chromecast. It hooks up to your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

upload_2017-4-27_19-38-3.jpeg

"Portable" and "Console" are strange terms to couple. I assume you mean Android Handheld Gaming Console. There are none. The market hasn't seen fit to fill this niche, and for an obvious reason. If you want a portable Android gaming machine, just pull your phone out of your pocket.

If you're looking to add console input functionality to a mobile Android machine, then must get the Moga Pro controller that Liondrake mentioned.

Amazon: Moga Pro Controller
:

The NVIDIA Shield Pro TV 2017 is the unofficial flagship of Android "Gaming Consoles" right now, but like all non-handheld consoles outside with the Wii U and Switch, it isn't designed for portability. It has dual-analog controllers designed specifically for it:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

Amazon: NVIDIA Shield TV:

GPD XD, even has mini HDMI out

20151105185458x5zeu3w.jpg

GPD XD, even has mini HDMI out

20151105185458x5zeu3w.jpg
I stand corrected. There appears to be a cheap, brandless Chinese industry around this tech, too. I couldn't find the above product, but obviously someone there in China manufactures it and then sells it to anyone willing to try to move it, so it has dozens of brands. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The cheap bluetooth headsets are like this, and many of them are quite reliable:
Amazon: Droidbox XD

upload_2017-5-25_22-10-28.jpeg

Why dont you get PSP Vita or some new Nintendo handheld. Way better then playing android games if you ask me.

Why dont you get PSP Vita or some new Nintendo handheld. Way better then playing android games if you ask me.
This isn't really designed for Android games (although you can play them too); thus the traditional console input with the dual analog joysticks and buttons. This thing is about emulation.

Android emulation isn't nearly as stable as Windows emulation, so if there's a Windows product they make, then it would almost certainly be preferable. If not, Linux is probably inferior to Windows overall in terms of emulation stability, but it's free, and apparently has better joystick driver support. Both are superior to Android for emulation, no doubt about it, especially considering these GPD devices use Rockchips, and no software in the West developed for Android is getting tailored or optimized for per-device compatibility with those chipsets outside Amazon. The only major Android product over here that uses Rockchips are the Kindle Fire TV/sticks.

I agree, though, this is a godawful hardware value. It would be appropriately priced around the $99-$129 range. $205 is absurd. Their profit margin has to be ridiculous. The emulation niche is the only possible cogent reason someone could offer to justify spending $205 on that Droidbox when the MSRP for the Nintendo Switch is $299 (or the non-mobile NVIDIA Shield 16GB is $199). Just be patient. Nintendo finally began their manufacturing push.

Alternatively, it seems pretty stupid considering that you can slide your phone into one of those Moga controllers for $40, but I suppose many don't want their phone doing double duty.

i had a shield and it was a quality piece of hardware. the tablet version should be enough for you. i had the home 500gb version and if i would ever play anything more on it other then snes and genesis games i would have kept it.

i had a shield and it was a quality piece of hardware. the tablet version should be enough for you. i had the home 500gb version and if i would ever play anything more on it other then snes and genesis games i would have kept it.
16GB ($199)

500GB ($299)

These are older videos, but the 2017 refresh is identical. This is what @cabear is talking about. Here is a one week hands-on review from Techradar for the 2017 edition:

Interesting options here suggest I'm not a professional but in my opinion all the options are good)

Interesting options here suggest I'm not a professional but in my opinion all the options are good)
On the contrary, all dedicated options are quite poor. For a gaming console, the Android OS just isn't there, yet.

The controllers that transform your phone into a mobile gaming display are nifty, but while the Tegra K1 & X1 processors in the NVIDIA Shield both have ample horsepower to motor serious games, certainly decent even if they aren't up to Console/PC flagship quality, there's still barely any games made for Android that utilize controllers, not simple touchscreen controls, and almost all of the games on this operating system are either free and ad-laden, or operating on a freemium model. Very few good games charge you up front and deliver a worthwhile product.

Considering that you get far, far more processing power, an older, more stable, and more secure OS, far better games, more of them, superior online gaming communities, and all sorts of online goodies and services that aren't available on Android, it makes absolutely zero sense to purchase an NVIDIA Shield 16GB for $200 or 500GB for $300 when there is an Xbox One or PS4 (1TB of either) bundled with one of the most popular AAA games at any given moment for ~$250. Zero sense. It's a terrible purchase.

Similarly, the Apple TV (4th Gen) might be a great product, but not for games. The special attention that Apple software gets means that their superb remote controller gets extra focus for many games, but that's still a far cry from a dedicated dual-analog controller. The A8 processor is respectable, but even weaker than the Tegra processors, and the Apple TV only comes in 16GB or 32GB variants making serious game storage implausible.

I still strongly favor the baseline Xbox One and PS4 as the market's entry HTPC offerings. Just look past the Fire TV and the rest of the dregs.

The latest NVIDIA Shield is probably what you want.
The controller support is the best you can get for Android, however, there aren't many games that really use the controller.

[QUOTE = "Madmick, post: 132538471, участник: 52632"] Напротив, все выделенные опции довольно плохие. Для игровой консоли Android OS просто еще нет.

Контроллеры, которые преобразуют ваш телефон в мобильный игровой дисплей, отличные, но в то время как процессоры Tegra K1 & X1 в NVIDIA Shield имеют достаточную мощность для серьезных игр с двигателем, безусловно, приличные, даже если они не соответствуют флагманскому качеству Console / PC , Для Android все еще есть игры, в которых используются контроллеры, а не простые элементы управления сенсорным экраном, и почти все игры в этой операционной системе являются бесплатными и загруженными объявлениями или работают на модели freemium. Очень немногие хорошие игры заряжают вас впереди и обеспечивают достойный продукт.

Учитывая, что вы получаете гораздо больше мощности обработки, более старую, более стабильную и более безопасную ОС, гораздо лучшие игры, больше из них, превосходные сообщества онлайн-игр и всевозможные онлайн-лайки и услуги, которые недоступны на Android , Абсолютно нулевой смысл купить NVIDIA Shield 16GB за 200 долларов или 500 ГБ за 300 долларов, если есть Xbox One или PS4 (1 ТБ) в комплекте с одной из самых популярных игр AAA в любой момент времени за ~ 250 долларов. Нулевой смысл. Это ужасная покупка.

Similarly, the Apple TV (4th Gen) might be a great product, but not for games. The special attention that Apple software gets means that their superb remote controller gets extra focus for many games, but that's still a far cry from a dedicated dual-analog controller. The A8 processor is respectable, but even weaker than the Tegra processors, and the Apple TV only comes in 16GB or 32GB variants making serious game storage implausible.

I still strongly favor the baseline Xbox One and PS4 as the market's entry HTPC offerings. Just look past the Fire TV and the rest of the dregs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Back