Any good muay thai gyms in New York

garlic85

White Belt
Reaction score
I'll be going to New York (staying in Manhattan) soon for a holiday. Would like to find out what are the gyms in NYC that offer good muay thai training. Could be a mma gym as well :)

Thanks!

The CRUNCHER..... will always get my vote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: This is all second hand information I gathered when researching gyms for my brother very recently. Please take everything with a grain of salt as I've never attended any of these gyms, and if anyone has any corrections or additions, go right ahead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coban's place is relatively new and certainly worth checking out. Everything I'm reading about it is positive, with not one negative experience. Whenever you have someone like Coban teaching classes, it's at least worth a peak.

The three established powerhouses in NYC, of course, are The Wat, Five Points Academy and Evolution Muay Thai. The Wat is (*generally*) considered the best of the three, Five Points Academy has the best facilities and a massive open gym, and Evolution Muay Thai is a good combo of both, more welcoming to the inexperienced. There's also Chok Sabai that I've heard good things about, and it attracts a sizable amount of good looking women.

If you can make the trip, Sitan's in Astoria Queens is widely considered the best Muay Thai in New York (even though it has more of a dutch flavor to it), but if you're coming from Manhattan, you may be spending more time on the subway than actually training, and Sitan's schedule isn't as flexible as the NYC gyms.
Borodins in Brooklyn is supposedly very good as well, but the Manhattan gyms are on par, and the trip can once again be kinda painful depending on where you are.

For the MMA swing of things, Renzo Gracie Academy, and Camp Undefeated both have great Muay Thai coaches (I believe Renzo's instructor came from The Wat). So if you want to throw in some BJJ/Wrestling/MMA in there, these may be your best bets. Actually, New York Jiu Jitsu may have some great Muay Thai coaching but they seem to drive away their MT trainers every year.

There's supposedly very kickboxing oriented Kyokushin dojos in NYC too, but Kyokushin isn't very beginner friendly.

Also, from what I gather, stay away from NYSanda unless you wanna just take the one free class deal.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've trained at Ronin Atletics and Five Points (still go there) and can recommend both. Instructor at both are excellent. Haven't trained at Coban but I've heard/read nothing but good things so it's definitely worth a try.

I've trained at Ronin Atletics and Five Points (still go there) and can recommend both. Instructor at both are excellent. Haven't trained at Coban but I've heard/read nothing but good things so it's definitely worth a try.

How does Ronin compare to Five Points? I've heard its standup doesn't compare to the other big named gyms

^ Yeah Ronin definitely focuses more on grappling, primarily BJJ. I think they only have a single session of muay thai and that’s on a weekend. If grappling's your thing, the student there do well at tournaments (NAGA, Grappler’s Quest, etc.) I myself won a gold after my first 3 months training there back in 2006.

Does anyone know how pricey Coban's gym is? Right now i'm paying upwards of $200/month which is pretty ridiculous

Haha I know who you are. :)

Does anyone know how pricey Coban's gym is? Right now i'm paying upwards of $200/month which is pretty ridiculous

Coban is definitely not $200... I don't want to say how much I pay but its a lot lower than that. Coban got a BJJ coach starting this week too.

Looks like i'm gonna go there to look around this saturday...do they still pay half of the termination fees your current gym issues?

Coban is definitely not $200... I don't want to say how much I pay but its a lot lower than that. Coban got a BJJ coach starting this week too.

And that's fine, as long as it's under what I'm currently paying

Looks like i'm gonna go there to look around this saturday...do they still pay half of the termination fees your current gym issues?

And that's fine, as long as it's under what I'm currently paying

No termination fees or sign up fees. I wouldn't join any gym that had those policies.

I called Coban's and its $180/month for everything including muay thai, BJJ, and kettlebells.

Ive trained with COban before not only hes a good instructor hes also a cool guy in general

Back