Any fans of Ghost???

I cannot get into them at all and I don't find their style of Doom Metal to be great at all

Candlesmass however is what real quality Doom Metal is. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is one of the best Doom Metal albums ever recorded and it still amazes me that it was released in 1986 because damn does it still sound fresh today.

Ghost had nothing to do with doom and was never marketed as such.
To me they are an occult rock band w some metal mixed in

My initial impressions are extremely underwhelming.

Their sound is unbelievably soft relative to their lyrics and pageantry.

It doesn’t sound particularly novel either. I feel like I’m listening to generic 80’s riffs.

It doesn’t sound particularly novel either. I feel like I’m listening to generic 80’s riffs.
The first album is extremely catchy and fresh. The lyrics on this one all generally point to the birth of Satan's son bringing about the end of the world. Every song on it is great.

Well, that's kind of the "point". It's not meant to be heavy as fuck, or brutal. It's meant to be catchy, tongue in cheek - while still (surely) part metal. There's a reason they're doing i.e. ABBA-covers ...

First and foremost, they simply make great, catchy tunes. Their first album completely took me by surprise, as I'm not much into 70's occult rock, or Merciful Fate influences (which Ghost has, too) - but Ghost nailed it with that one.

I'm a fan! Going to the St. Paul show on June 1 and can't wait! Curious to see if they do something special that show since it's the last date of the Rats on the Road tour and the Prequelle release date. Perhaps Cardinal Copia will be made a papa?

Ghost had nothing to do with doom and was never marketed as such.
To me they are an occult rock band w some metal mixed in
Then you best tell all these fans of them going on about how they are a Doom Metal band and are bringing back quality Doom Metal.

I don't like them and probably never will then again I find their style of metal to be boring and gimmicky. More power to you for liking them but I'll pass.

The new Sleep album by the way is amazing. Everyone should listen to it right now!

They have been on a steady decline since Opus Eponymous, although I really loved aspects of Meliora and Infestissumum, they were both hit or miss.

Rats was pretty terrible, and the video only made it worse imo. I’m not liking the current direction of the group, but I’ll give the new album a listen as I’m optimistic.

They have been on a steady decline since Opus Eponymous, although I really loved aspects of Meliora and Infestissumum, they were both hit or miss.

Rats was pretty terrible, and the video only made it worse imo. I’m not liking the current direction of the group, but I’ll give the new album a listen as I’m optimistic.
Didnt check new stuff yet but i agree. I like half of 2nd lp and less of stuff after. First lp knocks it out of the park in every way. A classic.

Then you best tell all these fans of them going on about how they are a Doom Metal band and are bringing back quality Doom Metal.

I don't like them and probably never will then again I find their style of metal to be boring and gimmicky. More power to you for liking them but I'll pass.

The new Sleep album by the way is amazing. Everyone should listen to it right now!

Windhand is probably my favorite “new” Doom metal band. I wouldn’t consider Ghost Doom metal at all tbh.

Didnt check new stuff yet but i agree. I like half of 2nd lp and less of stuff after. First lp knocks it out of the park in every way. A classic.

It’s pretty goofy, even more so than the video for “He Is”. I know Papa has been going through some legal problems with previous nameless Ghouls which probably explains why each album sounds so different. I’m digging the new guitarist though, as the solo in “Rats” is pretty solid.

Windhand is probably my favorite “new” Doom metal band. I wouldn’t consider Ghost Doom metal at all tbh.
I wouldn't either but their fans seem to think they are and what not.

Same here, for me it was one of the strongest case of "that's it? That's the band everybody is talking about?" To me it's really at the level of bland generic "modern" rock bands like Volbeat or Danko Jones, but ripping-off black metal's and old school occult rock's decorum.

Back