Any examples of punching power translating between boxing and MMA?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Nate Dogg, May 18, 2017.

1. Nate Dogg Green Belt

Nate Dogg
    I keep reading about Conor having a punchers chance but I highly doubt that his power can transate over wearing larger gloves that spread the point of impact and therefore dissipates the force over a larger surface area.

Now if this was Floyd coming over to MMA I coyld imagine he'd easily KO ppl due to smaller gloves.

Chad Mendes said Conor hits hard but he's trained with guys at TAM who hit harder. Perhaps lying, who knows.

Nate said that Andre Ward hits harder. And those many knockdowns Conor had were probably helped by Nate having a gimped leg to steady himself on. Same as how Conor was taken down at will by Chad.

Conor sparred with an off the couch south African boxing champ who said Conor's power wasnt special, though he had good counters.

I feel in boxing the standard equation of Force=mass x acceleration holds true. Conor just doesn't have the speed in his punches to KO someone in boxing. Though you can somewhat increase that acceleration based ob the forward vector of someone stepping into a counter.

So just wondering of peoples thoughts. Is Conor's confidence in his fists going to lead him into a 12 round ass whooping?

2. Megatronlee Black Belt

Megatronlee
    A lot of these fucks think about the hands but the wrestling is key. How good is Floyd's WRESTLING

Irishwhiskey119 likes this.
  3. linvillegorge Black Belt

linvillegorge
    Andre Ward is significantly bigger than Conor. I'd imagine he does hit harder.

I haven't seen anything from Conor to make me think that he has huge, natural power. It's more of a combination of good power with excellent accuracy and timing. He hurts people with perfectly placed shots. Guys with huge power hurt people with shots that don't even land cleanly.

4. k4lm4h Double Yellow Card

k4lm4h
    F=ma is not easy to explain in terms of punching. What mass? The persons body? You can't use that because only the arm is moving.

anyway, Conor's power will be laughable in the boxing ring alongside bigger gloves.

5. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle White Belt

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle
    Heavy hitters in MMA are average hitters by boxing standards.

6. BobbyD963 Never reveal your sources.

BobbyD963

Z28MARO likes this.
  7. AndleMyRiddum White Belt

AndleMyRiddum
    Where did the idea that Mcgregor has "I touch you and you go to sleep" power? Mcgregor does not have the power of Anthony Rumble Johnson or any decent boxer. Yes, he knocked out Aldo, but it was more due to Aldo running into his punch and leaving himself open. Remember that Mcgregor landed hundreds of punches on Diaz and could not knock him out. He also landed dozens of punches on Mendes and he survived until he gassed out. Rumble needed one punch to knock out Teixeira and a few punches to knock out Gustafsson and Manuwa.

Mcgregor does have good power, but his power has been hyped up.

8. AndleMyRiddum White Belt

AndleMyRiddum
    This. Anthony Rumble Johnson was extraordinaire by MMA-standards, but I doubt he hits harder than David Haye at cruiserweight.

Jedi Judah likes this.
  9. strikezone Purple Belt

strikezone
  10. sickboy_1 Purple Belt

sickboy_1
    Therein lies the fascination of this fight, should it happen. Mayweather hasn't knocked anybody out (discluding a sucker punch) since Ricky Hatton in 2007. Now of course, he choose to use his razor sharp footwork to avoid the power of fighters like Canelo. It's unlikely he'd show the same respect to McGregor but who knows how that will look. The very fact he doesn't perceive McGregor to be much of a threat may make him second guess his usual game of staying out of the pocket. And McGregor has different timing to a classic.

11. Steaminalex Yellow Belt

Steaminalex
    Makes sense but people need to recognize that there is absolutely nothing that McGregor does that Mayweather has never seen. Forget about power, timing, counters...etc. It just amazes me that people want to see this fight when the outcome is so obvious. This is not a middle of the pack boxer ...this is the best boxer of his generation with maybe the best defense in the history of the sport.

12. sickboy_1 Purple Belt

sickboy_1
    Yes indeed that's all true. It could look woefully one sided. Mayweather is also possibly one of the best ever to adapt during a fight. I think McGregor's rhythm may throw him off for a round or two but he will get the measure of him. The only possible Achilles heal for Mayweather is hubris. If McGregor does showboat, Mayweather's natural arrogance may make he less clinical.