Any examples of armbars that were fully locked-in and still didn't work?

2r45549.gif
Came here to make sure this was posted.

Franklin gets a bad rap sometimes because he lost to Silva so badly, but he was a very legit fighter in his day. One of the true well-rounded fighters at the time.

Enson Inoue has said before he would die in the ring before he would ever give up.

When Heath Herring put him in an Americana and Enson would not tap, Heath yelled and warned him several times that he would break his arm. Enson told him "Go ahead. Do it."

He eventually slipped out of the hold but likely tore some cartilage and damaged his arm.

How ironic. I thought of this specific fight.

The reason I thought of it, is on DVD, you can actually hear popping noises if you turn up the volume.

Edit: I just watched the YouTube video and you can hear the popping there as well.

GSP crosses his ankles here, which is a whitebelt-level mistake. It kills the armbar in this position.

I also like how Hardy kept bragging about how "I just don't tap" during this & getting cheers from the crowd, even though he already had 3 submission losses by that time.

Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

main-qimg-570141c7c8f0f31e010b046789a48797-c

GSP crosses his ankles here, which is a whitebelt-level mistake. It kills the armbar in this position.

I also like how Hardy kept bragging about how "I just don't tap" during this & getting cheers from the crowd, even though he already had 3 submission losses by that time.
Lots of high level mma grapplers cross their ankles like noguera and Ronda. The whole don't cross your ankles is so over exaggerated by stubborn gi bjj coaches. Although from what I understand you have better pressure holding the arms not crossing? I usually don't cross because that's just the way my feet end up

~DaViD~

Rose had paige in all kinds of subs before finally submitting her.

GSP had Dan Hardy locked up tight. He didn't have the wrist turned right and it didn't work, but GSP had him dead to rights.

First thought in the first post

That was so frustrating to watch

Yeah but Hardy's career is already an afterthought. A footnote in MMA history. GSP will be talked about for decades.

Not a fan of either, just stating dem facts, dawg.
And so will gifs of gsp tapping to Matt Serra strikes and to a Matt Hughes armbar without even fighting it.

In jiu jitsu it happens a lot, especially with the new sub only rules where they could start in the "spider web" position.

Dean Lister made his career escaping fully locked submissions.

20121017013456_04_XandeRibeiroDeanLister1.JPG

Around minute 14 in this video

How is that possible? An armbar that extended by Werdum of all people and the guy barely even winces. I'm pretty sure Werdum was going somewhat easy out of respect because he didnt warm to ruin the guys career but still.

Just how

TBH, that might be a good way to defend against an armbar. Werdum was unable to put that much pressure on vinnys elbow becaus eof his positioning. you need flexible shoulders though to do it looks like.

Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

main-qimg-570141c7c8f0f31e010b046789a48797-c

Judokas like to cross their ankles, but in that case they extend their legs and scissor hold, as you can see there.

GSP wasn't doing that though. He was trying to do a traditional BJJ armbar, legs bent, but instead of controlling the body and the head, he crossed his ankles, which is a whitebeltish mistake, and lost control of Hardy.

Back