any difference in teaching 7-12yr olds than adults ?

migsk8

White Belt
Reaction score
ok so recently i just took the job as a jiu jitsu/grappling teacher at my friends new karate dojo and im going to be teaching 7-12yr old kids and also adults, the kids is what im worried about, do you guys recommend anything on teaching them ? i know you have to be more patient and all that but i still feel that at that age they can handle learning all the basic submissions and positions. do i still play fun games with them or what ? im not quite sure. its only an hour long class

p.s. im a blue belt

Class has to be a little more fun. Drills are good, especially when it's done like a race or something. Techniques have to be taught very simply, because the comprehension skills of kids at that age aren't the same as an adult. But yes they can certainly handle the basic techniques and submissions and positions. I've also found that you need to be a little more enthusiastic when teaching kids because the interest level is generally lower and you need to hold their attention.

I find when teaching there faces are quite blank, and then when it's time for them to try it, they don't remember what to do, so i have one adult working with each pair and helping manually directing their arms, legs, weight to get them to get the first couple of reps, then they get it and can do it themselves, but I am teaching 4-9 year olds, not 7-12 year olds.

Class has to be a little more fun. Drills are good, especially when it's done like a race or something. Techniques have to be taught very simply, because the comprehension skills of kids at that age aren't the same as an adult. But yes they can certainly handle the basic techniques and submissions and positions. I've also found that you need to be a little more enthusiastic when teaching kids because the interest level is generally lower and you need to hold their attention.

This has been my experience as well

If you want to know how to teach kids get the Bullyproof set or better yet borrow it. One DVD is nothing but them (Rener and Ryron) talking about how to teach kids and it's brilliant. I'll try to summarize it.
1. Kids are there to have fun.
2. They don't care much about detail and can't handle too much detail
3. Praise everything they do
4. When they make a mistake correct it for them and then praise them. Ex. using the wrong grip. Rather than trying to TELL them how to make the grip, use your hand to SHOW them the grip in the right place.
5. If you criticize them frequently you can get them to do the technique right but eventually they will cease to enjoy it and quit.

Now these points probably apply much more to 7 yos than 12 yos.

We do Bullyproof at home and I can tell you that using the above rules my kids are so into it they are practically begging to do it. We usually spend about 10-20 minutes a day depending on how much time we have. Good luck with the kids class. I bet it'll be fun.

7-12 year old haven't entered 'formal operations' in their cognitive development.

Piaget's theory of cognitive developmentPiaget's theory of cognitive development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They can learn movments and repititions, but if you have them start thinking too far ahead, they won't grasp abstract concepts real well.
Actually, 12 year olds have:
This stage, which follows the preoperational stage, occurs between the ages of 7 and 11 years

There's a big difference between 7 year olds and 12 year olds, even if we as adults tend to see them both as little kids. With 7 year olds it's basically just playtime for them. But with 12 year olds, they can be very competitive and driven and even skilled in some cases. When I was 12, I wasn't into MMA quite yet, but I was a good athlete and basketball was my main sport. I was already as tall and physically developed as many adults and I pretty much dominated the basketball leagues I played in. I played with a lot of talented kids and our team practices and competitions were basically coached the same as you'd coach high school kids.

So, teaching 7 year olds is basically just playtime for them, but teaching 12 year olds is almost like teaching adults, especially if they've been doing it for a long time already (I started playing B-ball at around 6) and/or have some talent and competitive drive. Hell, I was probably better at B-ball then than I am now. And a 12 year old who's been doing BJJ since he was 6 will be a lot more advanced than an adult who's just starting out.

I had my girls in BJJ until the kids class was cancelled. They went through two instructors, both BB with two totally different methods. One thing they had in common though was that they kept the energy up and the amount of time devoted to one particular aspect of class was short. Meaning that if they were going over guard, they didn't spend all that much time on it.

If I was evaluating a class to put my kids in, I would like to see more position and transition, less submission.

As a parent, maybe I'll put them in competition, maybe I won't, but I'm more interested in their physical development. I'm not as concerned about the self defense aspect, like protecting themselves from bullying. In my opinion, bullies prey on the weak. You look at a kid that's been training BJJ, that kid is going to have good posture, good awareness and self-confidence. A bully is less likely to prey on them.

And also think of the kid that is now a teenager that has been training positioning and transitioning for years. That kid is going to be sick!

Now using this method, let's say you go over 5 things: closed guard, half-guard, spider guard, classic hook sweep & hip bump sweep. I know some of these are complex but you can spend 5 minutes on each, which will keep it active for them and varied enough to hold their interests. You've taught them fundamental BJJ and kept it interesting for them. Add conditioning and sparring, and you have enough for a class.

As an adult, I don't want it too varied. I want to keep drilling the same things over and over. I also want to spar, a lot! I don't think that's good for a kid.

First thing you should do is understand that they cannot and should not be learning the same stuff as adults. You need to research what is allowed and what isn't per belt rank and age group.

I honestly think you should maybe decline the job and get some training in regards to teaching BJJ to children. Not trying to be a dick at all, but there is ALOT more to it than showing them some games, some positions and some subs.

Before our class on Wednesday was a kids class of about 12 kids being taught by 3-4 purple/brown belts.

I got asked to hop on to allow on of the instructors to show the kids some stuff (These kids were really quite young 6-9?) and they just got taught 4 steps and then they took it in turns to call out the 4 steps they have learnt

Child 1: Loosen the gi
Child 2: Get your hand in behind the neck
Child 3: Other hand in
Child 4: Elbows close

It was fun, they all worked together then i sat with a pair and watched them whilst the other instructor was with the other pair.

Alot of the kids at our gym are children of the adults (Who are normally quite good) so everyone is happy to turn up 15-20 mins early and help the kids out and just be friendly and make it enjoyable for them

I would play games as well that involve basic BJJ movements to keep them happy

Last edited:
The younger kids are just going to want to play. The older ones may be more interested in the technical aspect of things. I know that my instructor likes to play a lot of games with the kids and make them jiu jitsu orientated. For example, freeze tag but to get unfrozen, they have to do a sweep five times. Bully Proof is another resource. Crazy Horse is an awesome game that I play with my teammates kids.

Im suprised so many people are saying that the kids 7 & up are not interested or able to grasp technique. IMO all (most) 7yr olds are able to grasp technique in subs, etc.

Of course it's different, they're 7-12 years old. As has been pointed out so far in this thread, they're likely to have shorter attention spans, need more supervision, have different learning styles and capabilities due to development.

They can of course be taught effectively, but it brings about a number of considerations.

First thing you should do is understand that they cannot and should not be learning the same stuff as adults. You need to research what is allowed and what isn't per belt rank and age group.

I honestly think you should maybe decline the job and get some training in regards to teaching BJJ to children. Not trying to be a dick at all, but there is ALOT more to it than showing them some games, some positions and some subs.

way too late for that one

way too late for that one

haha, well then be diligent in your studies!!! These are little people we are talking about with no concept of what is o.k. and what isn't.

First thing like i said would be to study up on what is allowed at what belt level and what age limit. In regards to triangles and pulling on the head, keylocks, etc. Most things are not allowed at a young age and should not be taught.

You can't just arm these little kids with these submission skills and trust they will know when and how to apply them and with what force.

im thinking alot of position escapes and takedowns for these kids ..........

im thinking alot of position escapes and takedowns for these kids ..........

Keylock
karati chop armbar from mount
side control
Mount
backpad (taking the back)
double leg
double leg with the trip
shrimp
shrimp to guard
scissor sweep
proper sidecontrol to mount to dismount to sidecontrol. to scarf, to North South to sidecontrol.
a couple different collar chokes.
ezekial choke (sp?)

well i have the gracie barra fundementals dvd, im gonna go by their 16week program pretty much, i might take the submissions part out and add a game

Back