Any advice to maintain mount?

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I want to improve my mount game. I never get swept or lose position with the basic roll over to the side move. Whenever they try that I usually take the back or maintain the top position.

But a lot of my training partners are really good at pushing up on my hips and getting their knees underneath me to where they get to butterfly and then they recover from there.

Now of course all of these guys are about 30 pounds bigger than me but sometimes I feel they are just effortlessly bench pressing me off of them and bringing their knees up and it is very hard to stop.

I am good at getting to mount but I keep losing the position over and over before I can even attempt a sub. I feel like I have good pressure in most positions but the mount is a weak point in my game right now. Can anyone be so kind to offer some advice on how not to lose this dominant position?

Cradle their head, put shoulder pressure on their face, have heavy hips and grapevine their legs. They'll never bench press you off that way.

Grapevine is a good option from there; switching to knee ride (as they lift you, windshield wiper your shin over their legs) is a good option too.

grape vine isnt that great tbh hooking the legs like doing a leg curl is the best way while sprawling hips down or closed guarding your legs underneath so they cant trap your feet to do mount you have to have good leg work constantly switching but keeping pressure at same time

grape vine isnt that great tbh hooking the legs like doing a leg curl is the best way while sprawling hips down or closed guarding your legs underneath so they cant trap your feet to do mount you have to have good leg work constantly switching but keeping pressure at same time

I more or less agree with this. The grapevine is good for preventing a bridge because you can splay out their hips, and it's a good defense for shrimping escapes for the same reason. It's also not great for attacking, for that same reason as well. But if a guy is good and getting that knee inside (as is the case for most leglockers), it's not the best option. Also, that kind of escape isn't really a bench press, so if they're literally benching you off of them then you have a different problem to start with.

To shut down those types of escapes I like to remember to control one of their arms at all times. It doesn't have to be a tie up or anything like that, but there should be no situation where they can just get both hands comfortably on my hips to create that kind of space.

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded. The knowledge is much appreciated!

strong crossface is the first thing to do. always be ready to post with the other hand, or your head, if they attempt to bridge. keep your toes together under their butt, so they can't extend their leg to the mat and can't get to halfguard, but when they bridge you, grapevine the leg opposite from the side they're bridging you to. always use your non crossfacing hand to peel their hands off of your hips if they put them there - this part is especially important with the problem you described in the original post. crossface + hand pealing will solve that, pronto.

but above all, realize that mount is not a static position. you need to constantly adjust and react to what they're doing.

I am also not a big fan of the grapevine. I like to cross my ankles, which forces me to create more pressure with my hips.

Have an active mount. High, low, grapevines, cross-face, attack, attack, attack..
Bail to kob, side control, and back to mount.
Cesar would call it "mount from hell." If you were ever under Jake shields mount; hell is exactly where you were.

sprawling your pelvis into their stomach while using hands to actively post makes it very very hard for ppl to escape. I use this when I feel ppl getting too frisky and it wears them down a lot. I'm not a big guy either. I don't grapevine I simply hide my feet under their butt as I sprawl, not grapevining gives me more attack options

sprawling your pelvis into their stomach while using hands to actively post makes it very very hard for ppl to escape. I use this when I feel ppl getting too frisky and it wears them down a lot. I'm not a big guy either. I don't grapevine I simply hide my feet under their butt as I sprawl, not grapevining gives me more attack options

I do the same thing. I think when people grape vine, it makes it easy to kick out and get half guard. I'm not sure I remember the last time I was unable to get half guard against the grape vine.

I like to put my feet in a prayer position under them so that they can't get either leg on the ground. That forces them to try to hip bump me, which they can't do because of the pelvis pressure.

Have an active mount. High, low, grapevines, cross-face, attack, attack, attack..
Bail to kob, side control, and back to mount.
Cesar would call it "mount from hell." If you were ever under Jake shields mount; hell is exactly where you were.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm only a purple but my mount has improved a lot and basically it boils down to being active like you said. I feel like if I stay stationary for any mount of time I'm going to get swept but if I'm combining attacking with changing my position in mount it allows me to maintain the position and start advancing towards submission.

I also feel like as you progress you develop a sensitivity to the movement of the other person and you can feel when they are going bridge or try to shrimp out. For me, when they try to escape I tend to transition right to technical mount, get the gift wrap or kimura grip and start going for subs or taking the back.

Holy shit a post where you aren't acting like a total douchebag. Did you actually get humbled on here?

I really recommed this video

Damn that is going on my list for hidden gems on youtube. Great stuff.

One thing that is not a piece of technical advise that has really helped me is to focus on being a "waterbed" and "not a box spring/bed frame". The latter is stiff and if it were on top of you it would be very easy to move. The former is relaxed and if you tried to push up on a waterbed on top of you then the part you pushed on may give a little bit, but the rest of it would still collapse around you. So being relaxed on top of someone will make them feel all of your weight and you can think of melting on top of them like the liquid metal T-1000. Plus when you are relaxed on top of them you can feel their movements underneath you and adjust. But if you're tense then you won't be able to feel their movements under you.

Ryan Hall has the heaviest mount I've ever felt and he's a lightweight/featherweight. He was totally relaxed and also had shoulder pressure on my face or his head under my chin like a pez dispenser. When I tried to get air I could feel him relax his weight into the space my diaphragm made upon exhaling. It was awful and I kept sticking out limbs for him to snatch because I couldn't breathe. I try to picture that whenever I get the mount.

The mount is a lost art with a steep learning curve so give yourself time and patience. I'm a brown belt and I'm just finally feeling like my mount doesn't suck.

Damn that is going on my list for hidden gems on youtube. Great stuff.

One thing that is not a piece of technical advise that has really helped me is to focus on being a "waterbed" and "not a box spring/bed frame". The latter is stiff and if it were on top of you it would be very easy to move. The former is relaxed and if you tried to push up on a waterbed on top of you then the part you pushed on may give a little bit, but the rest of it would still collapse around you. So being relaxed on top of someone will make them feel all of your weight and you can think of melting on top of them like the liquid metal T-1000. Plus when you are relaxed on top of them you can feel their movements underneath you and adjust. But if you're tense then you won't be able to feel their movements under you.

Ryan Hall has the heaviest mount I've ever felt and he's a lightweight/featherweight. He was totally relaxed and also had shoulder pressure on my face or his head under my chin like a pez dispenser. When I tried to get air I could feel him relax his weight into the space my diaphragm made upon exhaling. It was awful and I kept sticking out limbs for him to snatch because I couldn't breathe. I try to picture that whenever I get the mount.

The mount is a lost art with a steep learning curve so give yourself time and patience. I'm a brown belt and I'm just finally feeling like my mount doesn't suck.

It's very hard. I've been a brown belt for over two years and my mount is still just okay despite working on it quite a bit. And I learned how to attack directly from Roger. It's just tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back