Antony Smith 30-13

Randy Couture is 30-11. BJ Penn was 13-5-1 in his prime and deemed the best LW of all time (and he is still rightfully considered the best).

I don't care how you try and swing it

a 30-13 record isn't very good

Yet this guy KOed Shogun

Shogun is 7 years past prime

30-13 in MMA is very good. It's like 30-5 in boxing. More ways to lose, more style matchups in mma.

For me, 30 wins on your resume means you're a badass regardless of how many losses you have.

There aren't a lot of fighters that get to 30 wins.

If shogun waa on drugs like jones ans silva he would be loved and praised. This happens when you dont di drugs : u lose believe it or not

dude lost a string of fights early in his pro career. Easiest to imagine they dont exist since he was so green.

Seems like Smith has put it together.... silly thread

A record doesn't tell you everything about a fighter, TS.

Record seems pretty good to me. Take him off the GOAT contender list but maybe he can get to mythical "in the mix" territory with another win or two.

It's because at 20yo he started his career with a 5-6 record.

Since 2014 he's 13-2.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why people think beating Shogun Rua in 2018 is deserving of a title shot.
DC thought Shogun was worthy of a title shot. And Brock, apparently. Smith seems fairly credible compared to those two.

this

get off fight finder and watch some fights

I mean just the fact that Lobov is the GOAT should tell TS you can't judge a fighter by it's record.

He had a rough start to his career. If you discount his first 11 fights he's 25 - 7, which isn't bad.

dude lost a string of fights early in his pro career. Easiest to imagine they dont exist since he was so green.

Seems like Smith has put it together.... silly thread
He was 20-22 years old when he lost all those fights.

Some guys are just late bloomers. Mark Hunt is basically a .500 fighter, yet he put together enough quality wins late in his career to be on the cusp of title contention a couple of times. Matt Brown is 21-16, but tore off 7 wins in a row and fought for the title.

The overall record doesn't always give an accurate picture of who/what a fighter currently is.
Some fighters just have ups and downs for whatever reason. Hunt kinda fits in that category. Started his career beating some of the best fighters in the world, to losing to Manhoef and McCorkle, and then KOing top HWs again.

Same for fighters like Arlovski, Lawler, the Diaz bros, etc. Some fighters just have a strange ebb and flow to their career.

I’d like to see him face several top 10 guys to see how he fares.

The record is horrible, but it's not just that - he's made his name by smashing three ridiculously washed-up veterans. Two of whom, were almost 40 at the time, the other has been fucked since about 2009 or earlier.....no, labouring away against Gian Villante is not a sign of 'still having it', ask guys like Tom Lawlor how you're meant o deal with Villante and his ilk.

Smith's only fight recently against someone the right side of 35, and not even a relevant guy really, saw him destroyed by a one-dimensional kickboxer in Marreta. A guy who was KO'd by Dave Branch and submitted by Eric fucking Spicely.

So yeah, I can totally see why few are getting on board with Smith as a contender. I like the guy, seems cool and has obviously improved since his early career but still. Doesnt beat any relevant 205lb'er. Still, he might well have earned a big name next.

holy sh... 30-13 is not good for ya?!?

Yeah, a 30-13 record is very good. How many fighters have 30 wins total?

What MMA records boil down to is quality wins and Anthony Smith has a few good ones.

Is anyone actually saying that? The most I've heard was fill in for UFC 227, before Gus bailed on that.

I never linger in threads like this long enough to get an accurate count, but Anthony Smith has said he deserves one himself, and I definitely haven’t seen anyone disagreeing with him on that.

I don't care how you try and swing it

a 30-13 record isn't very good

Yet this guy KOed Shogun

Shogun is 7 years past prime
He started out as 5-6 on the regional. 25-5 outside of those fights is great. His ufc record is even more impressive. He’s no up and coming phenom, but we have seen fighters start out rough and finally get their shit together.

Back