antibacterial soap found to be useless

tough evolved

White Belt
Reaction score
Triclosan is a popular antibacterial chemical that has been on the market for more than 40 years and found in everything from soap to body washes, but recent studies raise concerns that it might be doing more harm than good.

Studies of triclosan in animals suggest that the chemical could increase the risk of infertility and early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

Consumer advocates have questioned why the chemical is still being used after the FDA said it has no evidence soaps made with triclosan “provide any benefit over washing with regular soap and water.”

In 2007, researchers at the University of Michigan and other universities compiled data from 30 studies looking at the use of antibacterial soaps. The results showed soaps with triclosan were no more effective at preventing illness or reducing bacteria on the hands than plain soap.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/...bacterial-soap-ingredient-draws-fda-scrutiny/

The agency’s review comes amid growing pressure from lawmakers, consumer advocates and others who are concerned about the safety of triclosan. Recent studies of triclosan in animals have led scientists to worry that it could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

“To me it looks like the risks outweigh any benefit associated with these products right now,” said Allison Aiello, professor at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health. “At this point, it’s just looking like a superfluous chemical.”

The concerns over triclosan offer a sobering glimpse at a little-known fact: Many chemicals used in everyday household products have never been formally approved by U.S. health regulators. That’s because many germ-killing chemicals were developed decades ago before there were laws requiring scientific review of cleaning ingredients.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/germkilling-ingredient-under-fda-scrutiny-dd9qbhd-206103781.html

Infertility? Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

My mom made me use Dial as shower soap when I was little religiously because of ringworm.

This is well known since forever. Only morons use antibacterial soap.

hand_sanitizer.png

Bruh if you don't want to shower then don't shower just don't expect anywhere here to support that

Bruh if you don't want to shower then don't shower just don't expect anywhere here to support that

I don't think anyone is saying don't shower, they are saying the soap is useless.

There was actually some blogger that went without soap and shampoo for a year. Apparently it actually decreased his body odor and gave him healthier skin and hair. Something about the body naturally balancing the pH levels rather than chemical see-saw.

Screw that antibacterial stuff... I keep a bar of Lava, Comet and a bottle of bleach next the the sink for a good cleansing. And not that scented bleach either.

I don't think anyone is saying don't shower, they are saying the soap is useless.

There was actually some blogger that went without soap and shampoo for a year. Apparently it actually decreased his body odor and gave him healthier skin and hair. Something about the body naturally balancing the pH levels rather than chemical see-saw.

My wife wouldn't let me in bed if I went without some kind of soap for a couple days. Plain water don't cut it when you have underarm stench or have taken a greasy chicken wing poo.

Infertility? Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

My mom made me use Dial as shower soap when I was little religiously because of ringworm.

Since ringworm is a fungus, I'm not sure how effective an antibacterial soap would be. Does Dial also kill fungi?

There are a lot of good bacteria on your body, using a soap that kills those bacteria doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It might also prevent your immune system from building up immunities to bad bacteria.

That would not work with me at all. After jiu jitsu or my LISS training I smell like rotten ass. I don't think my body would balance shit out, I would just scare people away with my stench. Also, I don't really use antibiotic soap just tea tree oil soap and salves for cuts and scrapes.

That would not work with me at all. After jiu jitsu or my LISS training I smell like rotten ass. I don't think my body would balance shit out, I would just scare people away with my stench. Also, I don't really use antibiotic soap just tea tree oil soap and salves for cuts and scrapes.

Tea tree oil is a very good natural antifungal. Good choice.

Studies of triclosan in animals suggest that the chemical could increase the risk of infertility and early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

Testing cleaning agents on animals huh?

H2QQjDz.gif

if the internet is bad at one thing - it's detecting sarcasm.

'twas a joke =/

You would be fine, especially since all you're using is tea tree oil soap. You body makes its own version of tea tree oil, which is the balance we're talking about.

A really hot shower with a little scrubbing is enough to get the stench off of you - there's no way you leave a shower like that still smelling like rotten ass, soap or no soap.

I use a little soap myself, but I'm just saying we have taken it way too far, as evidenced by the article in this thread about antibacterial soap and all that. It's really not necessary if you have access to clean hot water. But people go insane with the washing and in the process strip their body of the ability to do anything for itself.

I just read a study where babies whose moms regularly licked their pacifiers to clean them off after being dropped somewhere (rather than rinsing in sink) before giving them back to the baby got less colds and were less likely to have allergies and other things like that. That's sort of different than the topic at hand, but it illustrates how insane it is to be a germophobe.

Coconut milk ftw.

No antibacterial soap? Sounds good
No soap? Disgusting.

I don't care if you don't smell without soap, you still aren't going to wash out nasty bacteria with just water.

And I don't care if 1 person went a year without problems, n=1 is a useless experiment. I'd hate to shake some of your guy's hands

Well fuck I hope he was wearing deodorant at least.

powdered sugar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back