Anti-Depressants

It's true that antidepressants don't separate from from placebo in milder depressions. It may be because the benefits are masked by a robust placebo effect that might be muted in more severe depressions. Regardless, patients with mild depression do improve for whatever reasons, and until we're allowed to prescribe placebo sugar pills, I opine it's still reasonable to prescribe SSRIs to these patients, especially if they are seeking treatment and therapy is not an option. Despite some side effects, SSRIs are generally well-tolerated and among the safest prescription medications.
I think the reason that is the case in mild depression is that they aren't an appropriate treatment in the first place.

I'm on them right now. A year ago my doctor started me off, trying different ones trying to find the right one. The first one I tried made me sleep like 24/7. I just couldn't stay awake. I even fell asleep just waiting in the waiting room. It's like I couldn't go ten minutes without a nap. Then I was on one that made me restless. I couldn't relax, I had to constantly be moving, and I'd go crazy if I couldn't (car rides). Then the next just didn't do shit all. I was still unstable, having crying fits and cutting daily, overdosing on meds, and getting upset at everything.

Now I'm on venlafaxine and it's been great. Stable mood, no crying, no cutting, and no shitty side effects.
Great to hear. It can be torture to find the right med that works for you, so I'm glad it paid off.

I take very small doses of sertaline once in a while because I had GAD. On high doses it took anxiety away. The only downside was you can’t bust a nut on them. Totally numb down there. So I cut dose in half and I shoot ropes again. Then I cut that in half and I Jackson pollock a chick.

An under appreciated potential side effect of anti depressants is that they can trigger a switch to bi-polar in some people. I could be one such although I believe a diagnosis of bi polar could have been made in my case quite a bit before that time. That might explain why all anti-depressants were like poison in my soul where Kardashians reports finding great success eventually.

An under appreciated potential side effect of anti depressants is that they can trigger a switch to bi-polar in some people. I could be one such although I believe a diagnosis of bi polar could have been made in my case quite a bit before that time. That might explain why all anti-depressants were like poison in my soul where Kardashians reports finding great success eventually.

same thing happened to me, I turned bi polar/severe mood swings. But its more of severe mood swings. fucking im also addicted to Lexapro. tried slowly tapering off so many times. All i got was brain zaps and premature ejaculation.

same thing happened to me, I turned bi polar/severe mood swings. But its more of severe mood swings. fucking im also addicted to Lexapro. tried slowly tapering off so many times. All i got was brain zaps and premature ejaculation.
What do you mean by brain zaps?

Anxiety and Depression are first world problems. I have little respect for people who need to take Anti-Depressants

My dad took quetiapine (Seroquel) for like a week and had horrible hunger. Someone I know took duloxetine (Cymbalta) and gained 50 pounds, causing him to be more depressed. He then took bupropion (Wellbutrin) for a week and has tinnitus to this day because of that. As someone who practices medicine (Doctor of Pharmacy) I do NOT recommend antidepressants unless you've tried everything else.

As far as anxiety drugs:
- I've taken buspirone for panic attacks a bunch of times. Small doses (2.5mg only when needed) worked like a charm. 10mg made me feel like I was getting a heart attack.
- I've taken Xanax a few times as a sleep aid and I love it for that. I only take the smallest possible dose, though. My dad once took a bigger dose to sleep and felt like he was going to die, since Xanax shuts your body down. Would not recommend lol.
- My fiancé takes amitriptyline on occasion for migraines and it sometimes works. Ibuprofen seems to work better, though.

Note on Corruption:
- Many of these antidepressants don't work better than placebo.
- The more I learn about the health care industry, the more I learn about the corruption and how it's built to make money, not to treat people.
- Though that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of doctors out there who truly wants to help people.

EDIT: Just take weed instead. It's better than most painkillers and antidepressants.

Last edited:
ThAnk god for big pharma. Being able to make people happy daily. And people want to rely on stupid natural shit like weed. The scientists know my friends!
As a pharmacist I'd recommend weed over most opioids and antidepressants if it was legal. We all know it's much better for people than painkillers and depression drugs.

As a pharmacist I'd recommend weed over most opioids and antidepressants if it was legal. We all know it's much better for people than painkillers and depression drugs.
You're not a pharmacist.

I took some for about a month a few years ago. Felt really good. But then the doctor just stopped my medication. Had electric shock like zaps in my hands for a week afterwards!

I've been taking CBD oil for the last month (not every day) and find it helps with overall mood.

Has anyone been on them? What's it make you feel like? This dude at work is on them and he seems a little unstable. One moment he will be smiling, the next he will say he feels terrible.

I've always felt like these types of medications are more harmful than helpful because they erase a baseline mental constitution to serve as a reference for the patient.

Turns out the drug companies lied: antidepressants are barely more effective than placebos and with a lot more side effects.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/health/17depress.html

You just posted a few weeks ago about being a student. No pharmacist would say they practice medicine or half the shit you said.
Isn't pharmacy a field of medicine? And what do I say that no pharmacist is apparently allowed to say? That weed is better for most than addictive, respiratory depression causing opioids? Am I not allowed to question the status quo as a pharmacist?

And I call my fiancé my wife a lot on these boards too. I tend to switch names/ titles around a lot IRL.

Yeah, they can do that. Which sounds good on the surface if you suffer from depression, but there is no happiness and there is no contrast. I'd rather suffer depression and have occasional moments of real joy than to be numb and angry all the time.

Like 6 years ago I tried them, but I stopped after 3 months. I'd rather take the lows with the highs than nothing at all. I felt like a zombie.

Isn't pharmacy a field of medicine?

No.

And what do I say that no pharmacist is apparently allowed to say?

You're not a pharmacist. You do not "practice medicine." I didn't even have to search your post history to know that because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Claiming that you are and giving advice about prescription drugs is most certainly illegal. You should stop for your own good before you get yourself into trouble.

Back