Anti-Depressants

O

Overtures

Has anyone been on them? What's it make you feel like? This dude at work is on them and he seems a little unstable. One moment he will be smiling, the next he will say he feels terrible.

I've always felt like these types of medications are more harmful than helpful because they erase a baseline mental constitution to serve as a reference for the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
been on and off them since 99, they made me sleep and crave sweet stuff,which sucks big time.

I tried seroxat 20 years ago. Threw em away after a few weeks. I was a goth and smiling for no reason just didn't jive.

I've been on and off anti-depressants for over a decade.

I've never found one that really worked. Every single one seems to strip away all of my emotions. Like, my anxiety and depression goes away, but so does any sort of happiness or excitement. All I'm left with is anger at being numb.

I've been on and off anti-depressants for over a decade.

I've never found one that really worked. Every single one seems to strip away all of my emotions. Like, my anxiety and depression goes away, but so does any sort of happiness or excitement. All I'm left with is anger at being numb.

that sounds pretty bad.

the guy at work told me he can't be sad.

that sounds pretty bad.

the guy at work told me he can't be sad.

Yeah, they can do that. Which sounds good on the surface if you suffer from depression, but there is no happiness and there is no contrast. I'd rather suffer depression and have occasional moments of real joy than to be numb and angry all the time.

I used to recreationally take my girlfriend's Xanax. Shit fucked me up.

That's all?

How about your outlook and the way you feel?
they did the job for me,but its getting the right one and the right dose. I'm a big guy and was on a dose way over the bnf limits. they tried prozac first and i knew straight away they weren't gonna work. then tried sertraline but really bad vertigo. cause i wasn't sleeping without drinking myself unconscious they tried mitazapine,it slowed my mind down and has a sedative affect so i got to sleep.

Been on Fluoxetine, Citalopram, Mirtazapine, and Diazepram. None of 'em really worked.

Fluoxetine made me feel like @BEER desribes above.
While I was on Citalopram, I had a suicide attempt.
I was put on Diazepram after my suicide attempt but I stopped taking them because my family weren't comfortable with it after what happened on Citalopram.
I stopped taking Mirtazapine because I think they made my anxiety worse, and I felt like I couldn't even go to the pharmacy to get them without having an anxiety attack.

I've been on and off them for fourteen years and they have never really helped. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work for somebody else though. I just felt like a human guinea pig after a while. Currently I just smoke a lot of weed. I know it's not the best alternative, but my quality of life has greatly improved.

I'd rather be stoned than feel like a robot.

wait so the consensus here is that they all fucking suck.

is it literally better to not just fuck with them and try other shit like exercising or getting your life conditions in check?

Has anyone been on them? What's it make you feel like? This dude at work is on them and he seems a little unstable. One moment he will be smiling, the next he will say he feels terrible.

I've always felt like these types of medications are more harmful than helpful because they erase a baseline mental constitution to serve as a reference for the patient.
they don't work man. new studies have shown that serotonin isn't the cause of depression.

dopamine boost is what you need. there are dopamine reuptake inhibitors you can take. like Wellbutrin. don't have any experience with it though

the ONLY thing to really compeltely cure my anxiety and depression is testosterone. I have a hunch that messed up hormones or low hormone production is the culprit behind many mental illnesses

I was on them for like 6 or 7 years and only recently came off them because I don't need them anymore (They moved me onto other drugs). It took a long time to find the right drugs and dosages but once it clicked it turned my life around. But when you're in the trial and error phase, I'd get intense lethargy and fatigue to where I'd have to sneak out of work and take naps in my car. Little interest in doing things and no sex drive. I'd watch pron and wouldn't even bother fapping to it.

I'd definitely recommend them to anyone suffering from depression, but also stress that you gotta have patience and closely monitor shit with your doc.

I'm sure my post is going to offend some people, but I believe all of that stuff is garbage.

I dont think anybody needs to be medicated for depression or anxiety.

wait so the consensus here is that they all fucking suck.

is it literally better to not just fuck with them and try other shit like exercising or getting your life conditions in check?
Nah, they just don't work for everyone. I know plenty of people who's anti-depressants have worked for them.

Every single one seems to strip away all of my emotions. Like, my anxiety and depression goes away, but so does any sort of happiness or excitement. All I'm left with is anger at being numb.

I've been on 3 different ones over the last 3 years, currently on Zoloft (dont remember name of the other ones). What @BEER posted is my experience with all 3 kinds. Thinking about going off them for a while since I'm in a good spot atm and think I might be better off without.

Edit: Depression can cause lack of motivation/lethargy but anti-depressants can do the same. At least it does for me. The genital numbness is also a mofo. It can make you last longer in bed if you have problems with premature ejaculation but if you dont you'll just end up with a penis that feels like its made of rubber which is really annoying.

Last edited:
I was on them for like 6 or 7 years and only recently came off them because I don't need them anymore (They moved me onto other drugs). It took a long time to find the right drugs and dosages but once it clicked it turned my life around. But when you're in the trial and error phase, I'd get intense lethargy and fatigue to where I'd have to sneak out of work and take naps in my car. Little interest in doing things and no sex drive. I'd watch pron and wouldn't even bother fapping to it.

I'd definitely recommend them to anyone suffering from depression, but also stress that you gotta have patience and closely monitor shit with your doc.
The no sex drive part is one of the worse parts lol. That and when you work the bosses don't seem to care and want you to carry on as normal.

I was on them for two years and the side effects just weren't worth it. The only thing the medication did was remove the physical symptoms of the anxiety and depression. Well until my tolerance went up, then they just keep uping to dosage until they need to find another drug. I still was just as stressed, but I still had to deal with being exhausted all day from the medication. Well that was just one medication. Doctors love trying every type of medication on you to see what works best. That's also torture because every medication is different. I had medications that if you didn't take it exactly 24 hours apart, and you took it an hour later, you'd be going through withdraw for 2 days. Let me reiterate... A person with ANXIETY who subconsciously puts things off or avoids things misses their prescription time by minutes, they have to suffer. So now I have developed a massive anxiety around taking my anxiety medication... doesn't sound right, huh?

My therapist was very clear that depression and anxiety are with you for life, and it's all about coping, so I decided to learn how to cope. Because really dealing with the pain and exhaustion from taking the medication was just as bad as the anxiety. So now I just deal with it.

I know it works for some people, just not me.

aren't you on TRT? are am I thinking of someone else

Back