Anti-Cartel Mexican Congressional candidate shot dead while posing for selfie

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

He's one of 113 candidates or politicians murdered since last September.

Nieto's homicide total has exceeded his predecessor, now. The following story dates to April 23rd when this apparently seized and dominated their Presidential debates. I'm seeing reports that violence is now at a 20-year high:
Violence in Mexico is still setting records — and the embattled president just reached a grisly milestone
The number of intentional homicide cases in Mexico went up in March, with 2,346 cases. The new figures ends two consecutive months of declines and rounds out the most violent first quarter of a year on record.

But the March total also constitutes a more ignominious distinction for the government of President Enrique Peña Nieto. The 104,583 homicide cases registered since he took office in December 2012 are more than the 102,859 officially recorded under his predecessor, Felipe Calderon, who deployed military personnel around the country to confront organized-crime and drug-related violence.

Homicide cases can contain more than one victim, and Mexican government data recorded 2,729 victims during March, the most on record for that month, according to Animal Politico. The January-March 2018 total was 6,553 homicide cases, a new record, and 7,667 homicide victims, which works out to about 85 victims a day, or three to four every hour.
If you adjust that figure for the US population the total would be approximately 268k homicides from December 2012 through March 2018 (5yr3mo period). That's roughly 5x our military combat casualties in Vietnam, 2/3 our combat casualties in WWII, and 3/7 (close to half) our combat casualty estimates for the Civil War-- our deadliest conflict in history.

April wasn't slowing down:
Is Cancun Safe? 14 Killed in Brutal Crime Spree at Mexican Resort Town (in a 36-hour period)

5ade1a4319ee8657008b4683-750.jpg

In January our government issued new travel advisory guidelines to us (American citizens) concerning Mexico. You can review these current guidelines here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html
Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico as U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel to these areas.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from intercity travel after dark in many areas of Mexico.

U.S. government employees are also not permitted to drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico with the exception of daytime travel on Highway 15 between Nogales and Hermosillo.
That last part amounts to the effect that US government employees aren't allowed to travel from the border inland into Mexico, at all, meaningfully, except on this highway during the daytime.

These are the Mexican states with caution advisories. The “do not travel” notice, considered a “Level 4” alert, is the highest warning level issued for international travel (Afghanistan, Syria, and Yemen are all similarly classified as a Level 4 danger).
  • Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.
  • Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.
  • Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.
  • Level 4 - Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.
LEVEL 4: DO NOT TRAVEL
  1. Colima
  2. Guerrero
  3. Michoacán
  4. Sinaloa
  5. Tamaulipas

LEVEL 3: RECONSIDER TRAVEL
  1. Chihuahua
  2. Coahulla
  3. Durango
  4. Estado de Mexico
  5. Jalisco
  6. Morelos
  7. Nayarit
  8. Nuevo Leon
  9. San Luis Potosi
  10. Sonora
  11. Zacatecas

LEVEL 2: EXERCISE INCREASED CAUTION
  1. Aguascalientes
  2. Baja California
  3. Baja California Sur
  4. Campeche
  5. Chiapas
  6. Guanajuato
  7. Hidalgo
  8. Mexico City
  9. Oaxaca
  10. Puebla
  11. Querataro
  12. Quintana Roo
  13. Tabasco
  14. Tiaxcala
  15. Veracruz
  16. Yucatan

As you can see, not even their capitol achieves the highest safety rating, and Cancun doesn't appear to any longer be a stable, secure portal into the country. Unsurprisingly, instability is even spreading to the ritzy tourist destinations:
U.S. bans government employees from travel to Mexican beach resort
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Citing a new security threat in Mexico’s Caribbean beach resort of Playa del Carmen, the U.S. government is prohibiting its employees from traveling there, marking another blow to the battered reputations of the country’s most popular tourist hubs.

The U.S. travel ban was issued late on Wednesday and was later cited by the Canadian government in its own warning. While the travel ban only applies to government employees, the U.S. Embassy said Americans should consider the security threat, which it did not specify, before traveling to the area.

Here is an extensive 2018 report on their drug violence situation:
https://justiceinmexico.org/2018-drug-violence-mexico-report/

Despite all of this, they still aren't leading south of the border in this hemisphere:
Mexico had over 29,000 murders in 2017, but homicide rate still lower than some Latin American nations

I was surprised to learn how many of my friends (and acquaintances) have visited Playa del Carmen at a pool party last summer. It seemed like everyone has been there. Many more than once. FYI, it's in the Quintana Roo state, with the Level 2 rating, but you've probably caught wind of the reports of illegal tequila and other nefarious activities creeping deeper and deeper into the spiritually gated heart of that tourist jewel.

I tell them all the same thing, now. Don't go back. Don't go to Mexico.

Last edited:
From last November and January-- more on Cancun:

This showed up in my YouTube column as I was watching the other videos. It shows you how little value there is on life right now among our neighbors to the south. The girl also references the increasing fear among reporters to even talk about the issues happening there. This is one of my longest standing frustrations with American transparency. It's easy to see all our imperfections because we shine a light on them. Many other countries that join us in this criticism ironically cannot quantify their own ignorance, and assume worse of us than is proportionate or correct: because no news isn't bad news, is it?

Well I'll be looking elsewhere to vacation for the time being.

cant wait for the just announced world cup in Canada/US/Mexico

Definitely not a shithole country.

Nieto's homicide total has exceeded his predecessor, now. The following story dates to April 23rd when this apparently seized and dominated their Presidential debates. I'm seeing reports that violence is now at a 20-year high:
Violence in Mexico is still setting records — and the embattled president just reached a grisly milestone

If you adjust that figure for the US population the total would be approximately 268k homicides from December 2012 through March 2018 (5yr3mo period). That's roughly 5x our military combat casualties in Vietnam, 2/3 our combat casualties in WWII, and 3/7 (close to half) our combat casualty estimates for the Civil War-- our deadliest conflict in history.

Is Cancun Safe? 14 Killed in Brutal Crime Spree at Mexican Resort Town (in a 36-hour period)

In January our government issued new travel advisory guidelines to us (American citizens) concerning Mexico. You can review these current guidelines here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

That last part amounts to the effect that US government employees aren't allowed to travel from the border inland into Mexico, at all, meaningfully, except on this highway during the daytime.

These are the Mexican states with caution advisories. The “do not travel” notice, considered a “Level 4” alert, is the highest warning level issued for international travel (Afghanistan, Syria, and Yemen are all similarly classified as a Level 4 danger).

1. Colima
  2. Guerrero
  3. Michoacán
  4. Sinaloa
  5. Tamaulipas

1. Chihuahua
  2. Coahulla
  3. Durango
  4. Estado de Mexico
  5. Jalisco
  6. Morelos
  7. Nayarit
  8. Nuevo Leon
  9. San Luis Potosi
  10. Sonora
  11. Zacatecas

1. Aguascalientes
  2. Baja California
  3. Baja California Sur
  4. Campeche
  5. Chiapas
  6. Guanajuato
  7. Hidalgo
  8. Mexico City
  9. Oaxaca
  10. Puebla
  11. Querataro
  12. Quintana Roo
  13. Tabasco
  14. Tiaxcala
  15. Veracruz
  16. Yucatan

As you can see, not even their capitol achieves the highest safety rating, and Cancun doesn't appear to any longer be a stable, secure portal into the country. Unsurprisingly, instability is even spreading to the ritzy tourist destinations:

Despite all of this, they still aren't leading south of the border in this hemisphere:
Mexico had over 29,000 murders in 2017, but homicide rate still lower than some Latin American nations

I was surprised to learn how many of my friends (and acquaintances) have visited Playa del Carmen at a pool party last summer. It seemed like everyone has been there. Many more than once. FYI, it's in the Quintana Roo state, with the Level 2 rating, but you've probably caught wind of the reports of illegal tequila and other nefarious activities creeping deeper and deeper into the spiritually gated heart of that tourist jewel.

Sheesh thanks for this post man I had no f'in idea

It is sad what is going on in Mexico. I guess much of the violence is fed by N. America's thirst for recreational drugs. The other day I read that in the latest election in Mexico around 130 politicians running for office have been murdered.

what if he managed to take the selfie at the exact moment when the bullet exited the front of his skull..

I could see that winning National Geographic's "photograph of the year" award.

It is sad what is going on in Mexico. I guess much of the violence is fed by N. America's thirst for recreational drugs. The other day I read that in the latest election in Mexico around 130 politicians running for office have been murdered.

White peoples fault then?

what if he managed to take the selfie at the exact moment when the bullet exited the front of his skull..

That's an extraordinarily macabre thought.

That's what we call "dedication".

1. Colima
  2. Guerrero
  3. Michoacán
  4. Sinaloa
  5. Tamaulipas

1. Chihuahua
  2. Coahulla
  3. Durango
  4. Estado de Mexico
  5. Jalisco
  6. Morelos
  7. Nayarit
  8. Nuevo Leon
  9. San Luis Potosi
  10. Sonora
  11. Zacatecas

1. Aguascalientes
  2. Baja California
  3. Baja California Sur
  4. Campeche
  5. Chiapas
  6. Guanajuato
  7. Hidalgo
  8. Mexico City
  9. Oaxaca
  10. Puebla
  11. Querataro
  12. Quintana Roo
  13. Tabasco
  14. Tiaxcala
  15. Veracruz
  16. Yucatan

Well, shit. It's too late to heed your advice now. I live in Baja California right now, and I've already got plane tickets booked to meet my girlfriend's family in Toluca.

If you guys don't hear anything from me 4 months from now, well, um, you can probably safely assume that I got my head chopped off with a machete or a chainsaw.

Well, shit. It's too late to heed your advice now. I live in Baja California right now, and I've already got plane tickets booked to meet my girlfriend's family in Toluca.

If you guys don't hear anything from me 4 months from now, well, um, you can probably safely assume that I got my head chopped off with a machete or a chainsaw.
Is there anything we could easily identify you with? I'll be looking for your video bro.

As a young fella Playing Red Dead I always wanted to visit Mexico. Now I must find a alternative.

It has always bothered me the amount of time, money and effort we spend in the middle east when our neighbor to the south is such a shit show. It's a failed state right on our border but we aren't putting in any efforts to help fix them (or force them to fix themselves).

Back