Anthony Pettis's team says Jose Aldo's leg kicks are a non-issue. Big mistake??

except for edgar was the champ while pettis was getting beaten by guida so he is at best the 2nd best fighter hes fought recently. i dont think anyone in their right mind would have picked pettis to beat edgar for the title.

I'd pick Pettis to beat Frankie. Frankie would get plenty of takedowns, but Pettis would get right back up and eventually pick Frankie apart on the feet and get the KO.

Everybody knows about Aldo's leg kicks now and how dangerous they are, he can still use them obviously but not as often. I'd say look for more things like this.

4512907_o.gif

It was a very nice front kick but wasn't effective like it should of been. Edgar was able to pull his head back quickly, so it only grazed Frankie's nose.

Shame would have been a great highlight if it hit Edgar's jaw.

Last edited:
I'd pick Pettis to beat Frankie. Frankie would get plenty of takedowns, but Pettis would get right back up and eventually pick Frankie apart on the feet and get the KO.

Frankie, due to his inability to keep people down after the TD would be closer. But I still see him winning like he always do, by points because of his pace.
I can't even imagine Edgar being knocked out. Well, if it happened to big Nog, will happen to anyone... it's just a matter of time.

I didn't say that. I just think Aldo is the favorite and it wouldn't be close.
I see it similar to Aldo x Hominick. Aldo, using his speed, will outstruck him during the first 3 rounds and when/if he starts to fade he will bring him down and use g&p.

I'm pretty sure Bendo can beat any of the LW today. I see Pettis losing to an average wrestler. -- as a LW or FW. I would bet against him if he fought against Maynard, Guida, Mendes, Edgar...

Castillo was an above average wrestler, Roller an average wrestler and well above average fighter in WEC, Bendo way above average. 3-1 against them and Guida. Even Campbell was a decent wrestler and fighter, whether you're aware of him or not. Just throw Pettis in there against a wrestler and he'll lose though......

I see it similar to Aldo x Hominick. Aldo, using his speed, will outstruck him during the first 3 rounds and when/if he starts to fade he will bring him down and use g&p.

I'm pretty sure Bendo can beat any of the LW today. I see Pettis losing to an average wrestler. -- as a LW or FW. I would bet against him if he fought against Maynard, Guida, Mendes, Edgar...

If you are willing to bet, then I would like to bet a sig for a month on it. Aldo vs Pettis and I'm calling Pettis to win.

If you are willing to bet, then I would like to bet a sig for a month on it. Aldo vs Pettis and I'm calling Pettis to win.

I don't even know how that works, but OK. Unfortunately we're still in February...

Castillo was an above average wrestler, Roller an average wrestler and well above average fighter in WEC, Bendo way above average. 3-1 against them and Guida. Even Campbell was a decent wrestler and fighter, whether you're aware of him or not. Just throw Pettis in there against a wrestler and he'll lose though......

Castillo and Roller were good wrestlers (although Roller wasn't even able to take Thiago down...)
By the names, it was really clear that I was talking about wrestlers with good cardio, fast pace and that don't stop the pressure. I think we can agree that Roller and Castillo are not like that.

I don't even know how that works, but OK. Unfortunately we're still in February...

The winner will get to put almost any text in the losers sig section (you will learn about it before August I bet). I'm no good at trash talking, so I will probably just put a praise line about my own good fortune for picking a side in a closely contested battle.

The winner will get to put almost any text in the losers sig section (you will learn about it before August I bet). I'm no good at trash talking, so I will probably just put a praise line about my own good fortune for picking a side in a closely contested battle.

I'd rather bet some money, but OK. It's a deal.
I still have to cover my losses. Cerrone really fucked me when he decided to be Nate's punching bag.

I don't think that Roufus was saying that they don't matter. I think he means they will be ready for them.

Maybe not but Aldo can take him down at will and should be able to submit him easily.

Totes dude, I mean Aldo does have that one submission against a winless fighter 20 fights ago, and Pettis has never been subbed before, so it should be a formality that Aldo taps him.

Some of the delusions from Aldo fans are amazing. First Pettis has to watch out not to get head kick knocked out like Aldo's first MMA opponent who was winless, now Pettis is going to get subbed easily like Aldo's 3rd opponent who was also winless. Aldo is a great fighter, but he might be the most overrated fighter in the UFC when it comes to individual skills like kicks and subs. He hasn't shown the best kicks in the UFC when he hasn't finished any of 12 fighters in Zuffa that way, and when he hasn't subbed an opponent with any wins isn't likely going to sub a #1 contender who has never succumbed via that method before. The amount of myth circulating Aldo is ridiculous.

It was a very nice front kick but wasn't effective like it should of been. Edgar was able to pull his head back quickly, so it only grazed Frankie's nose.

Shame would have been a great highlight if it hit Edgar's jaw.

Or if Jose threw it correctly.

So hard to comment on this one. So many questions regarding the cut for Pettis.

He's a great fighter though and seems to be a pretty smart guy so I'm sure he'll do everything he can to be good to go that night.

I think the leg-kick talk is just pre-fight posturing...I'm sure they're very concerned about Aldo's leg kicks.

If he's fresh, I think he'll have a good chance against Aldo.

At no time during that fight did it appear to me that Edgar was matching Aldo's speed.

at several points in rds 3, 4, and 5 you could tell edgar had more pep in his step and edgar started landing leg kicks on aldo

If Rufus is good at one thing it's the striking game. I think they mean it's a non-issue in that they are ready for it at Rufus camp, not that Aldo's kicks are not effective. Not a big Pettis follower but did you not see him pick apart Cerrone inside one round? Cerrone is a great striker.

Also, Edgar was able to match Aldo's speed so it's not delusional. Pettis is not bulky like Maynard or anything. Aldo once again showed that he slows down a bit in the championship rounds.

edgar didnt match aldo speed. even when he was gassing out he was still faster than edgar. dont let edgar's two step fool you

at several points in rds 3, 4, and 5 you could tell edgar had more pep in his step and edgar started landing leg kicks on aldo

..jake shield type leg kicks..no power at all just scoring points. so thats matching speed? edgar lost damn near every exchange and was beat to the punch all through the fight. aldo clearly was faster

aldo gets hit plenty.

pettis is hands down better than anyone aldo has fought.

and your measuring stick is what? cerrone and lauzon? lmao get the fuck outta here. pettis is going to get finished.

Losing to an average wrestler? I take it you never saw his fight against Shane Roller back in the WEC. Anthony does fine against wrestlers unless they literally are content to do nothing but hold him. Benson completely annihilated Guida and yet Anthony dealt with Benson's grappling just fine, even taking his back for the entire 3rd round. Guida had success against Anthony because you can't sub a guy who lies on you chest to chest and waits for the referee to call a break.

Back