Anthony Pettis potential LW GOAT?

Wait a minute... are you saying khabib has a better resume than Pettis??

He's a great fighter and I'm glad to see him back to form but for now Penn still has LW GOAT wrapped up. Title defenses, top 5 wins, and overall dominance all go to Penn.

And I am NOT a Penn fan. Seeing him quit vs GSP and lose the belt to Edgar in a close fight were damn satisfying, but his title run speaks for itself.

Nope, but a career long elite LW, that's nothing to scoff at. Not only that, the man was putting it down when his division was considered even tougher than WW (I'd say at this point LW overtook WW again, but that can easily change).

The LW division really has no GOAT as the top guys resumes are just too thin and anyone who wins the title and puts in 3 defenses is in immediate contention for GOAT.

I'd still have to go with Penn as LW GOAT, Pettis has one of the best resumes but frankly i don't think he has a legit case for LW GOAT. There's a few others who do.

Khabib is the LW GOAT since he has the best resume and is undefeated, never even looked in trouble

The other contender would be Tony, but he decisively lost to journeyman Michael Johnson, almost got KOed in another journeyman Lando Vannata, got manhandled by Castillo and TKOed by wire

Maybe BJ Penn could be in there too but his prime was brief
How does Khabib have the best resume? He has the potential to become the GOAT, but he's got very few wins over actual top tier LWs

Well he has the Wheaties Box thing going him, what other fighter could say that. I don’t think even connnir has been on a Cereal Box yet.
In todays world these snowflakes would throw a fit and cry racism if he was on the wheaties box.

Not surprised a virgin Colby fan would think this about Pettis.

Pettis would have to beat Conor or Tony.
That isn't happening.
Khabib isn't the real champion.
Decisioning the #11 ranked fighter doesn't make you champion.

He was a candidate for a while but he dropped the ball at RDA fight and after.

Top 10 after:

BJ
Edgar
Gomi
Aoki
Alvarez
Bendo
Ferguson
Khabib
How can you rank Bendo top 6 over showtime?

Pettis beat Bendo twice and finished him during their primes.

Bendo’s resume is littered with controversial decisions while Pettis finished majority of his wins.

Last edited:
Resume wise, BJ is the LW GOAT, but the best LW fighter ever is Khabib (26-0).

How is BJ the LW GOAT resume wise??? He's the LW GOAT based on talent and other things. His LW resume is 100% not the best ever.

I don’t think Pettis resume is underrated I think it’s just forgotton, he hasn’t been a top 5 guy in a long time, and it’s not as though he defended the belt against anyone. He still has potential but he needs to beat a top 5 guy asap.

Top 10 after:

BJ
Edgar
Gomi
Aoki
Alvarez
Bendo
Ferguson
Khabib
Aoki? His resume is not as good as Pettis'. His resume is better than khabib's too. Cerrone, bendo and Melendez are better than khabib's best 3 wins.

As much as i like Pettis....he is (3-5) in his last 8 fights, i know he beat Chiesa but GOAT conversation i think is too soon for now.....but i do recognize he does has the talent to be GOAT or close to it.

Aoki? His resume is not as good as Pettis'. His resume is better than khabib's too. Cerrone, bendo and Melendez are better than khabib's best 3 wins.

I agree. Khabib has beaten relatively nobody. But he is 26-0. Pettis has lost loads of fights. LW is probably the hardest division to rank a GOAT in.

Being dated shouldn’t affect ones status. Examples: Jordan, Ali, Tyson. Obviously those are some of thee GREATEST names in sports but if more recent LWs can top BJ Penns wins and championships then it’s on them to do so (some have) and shouldn’t be a knock on Penn and the competition during his time.

Penn and Gomi are in the mix for top 5, imo. What they accomplished was incredible. Don’t let the Ferguson’s (interim champion) and Conor’s (one time, one off champion) fool us. BJ was a 4x UFC LW champion, fought the old guard in Pulver to veterans like Sherk to newer TUF era contenders like Florian.

Then he lost twice to Frankie. I’m just being honest, and I don’t think his accomplishments hold up. If he had’ve fought his entire career at LW I think he would unquestionably be the goat, but his resume isn’t as impressive now as it was then. When I say it’s dated, it’s because lots of other fighters have accomplished a lot at LW since. What makes BJ’s run better than Frankie’s, Bendo’s, Pettis’, or Alvarez?

Back