Anthony Pettis: I Couldnt See Out of My Right Eye The Whole Time

yall are a bunch of pretentious pantie liners

He CLEARLY stated after the excuse: that it's not excusable and he has to go back to training.

EXACTLY HOW IN THE F is telling the truth an excuse now?

he didnt say he was injured prior to the fight or he was sick or anything. he said he got CAUGHT with a legit punch from a legit opponent and told the truth that his eye swole up it was very visible, he was telling his corner that from the beginning. thats not a FN excuse its the truth. would of it been a different fight? in my opinion no i feel it was RDAs fight and he would of beasted anyone tonight.

but still...pettis was a great champ and no doubt he will be back

It was an excuse when Barao said similar, well to sherdog.

Some guy even bothered to make a big book of excuses shoop.

Anything said about a loss is an excuse, doesn't matter if the reason was getting punched in the head really hard still an excuse.

There's absolutely no problem with what Pettis said, some people here are insane.

I wouldn't do a rematch so quick reason being RDA did outstrike him even though he didn't have the right eye problem in the first round. After the strike Pettis was getting popped with left hands that would drop a majority of LW's and his TDD needs work. If Pettis studies RDA he could beat him. RDA should have finished Pettis with only one eye. Just goes to show it wasn't as dominating as it should have been.

Oh shit, didn't realise Pettis went into the fight with an eye injury.

Immediate rematch please.

Hey Shertards, stating a simple fact is not making an excuse. If his eye closed and he couldn't see out of it the whole fight, should he just ignore it and never mention it? It is what it is, if it happened then it happened, that is not an excuse. Even if he believes he can win a rematch right now he lost and there is nothing to be said that can excuse him of that loss.

wtf-japan-gif-my-eyes-boobs.gif

It was an excuse when Barao said similar, well to sherdog.

Some guy even bothered to make a big book of excuses shoop.

Anything said about a loss is an excuse, doesn't matter if the reason was getting punched in the head really hard still an excuse.
It was a little different with Barao IMO because he said...

"After (that punch), I only woke up in the locker room. The fight was really close in the beginning, but everything changed after that punch. "I was too slow, I wasn’t thinking. (Andre Pederneiras) told me to do one thing and I did another. But I will fight smart this time, I won’t let this happen again.""

He basically is saying he made a mistake and that is the only reason why TJ was able to land the punch. He then says he woke up in the lockerroom despite having his best round of the fight in round 2, the round after getting hit. And then implies that only happened because he took the fight on short notice and didn't have time to prepare but with a full camp he will definitely win if they fight again..

"I accepted the fight on short notice and was not 100% ready for it but this time will be different"

http://www.mma-core.com/news/Renan_Barao_Says_He_Woke_Up_in_the_Locker_Room_at_UFC_173/1065873

Compare that to Petis who credits RDA for hitting him with a hard shot in the eye which messed it up and had this to say after:

"Congrats @RdosAnjosMMA you fought a great fight."

https://twitter.com/RdosAnjosMMA/status/577017734409531392

Last edited:
It was a little different with Barao IMO because he said...

"After (that punch), I only woke up in the locker room. The fight was really close in the beginning, but everything changed after that punch. "I was too slow, I wasn

How I am reading this,

Pettis "I got hurt by that punch" = not an excuse

Barao "I got hurt by that punch" = an excuse.

Its kind of like how RDA shocks the world = PED accusations a plenty.
TJ shocks the world = Damn Ludwig is good.

Why ignore any praise Renan gave TJ post fight, Sure that all dried up after the striking class jokes by Alfafla male but till then he was nothing but respectful, after that he merely shut up.

Personally I view neither as excuses.
Hell 90% of things that get called excuses aren't excuse imo, more just explanations but I am well aware I am seriously out of line with Sherdog thinking in this regard.

but can you be clear and explain to me which part of the Barao quote made you think he meant "that is the only reason why TJ was able to land the punch", Seems to me is purely talking about the punch.

"But I will fight smart this time, I won’t let this happen again."

"I accepted the fight on short notice and was not 100% ready for it but this time will be different"

Seems clear to me. You aren't giving credit to your opponent when you say the reason he caught you is because you weren't fighting smart. That is saying i beat myself, he didn't really beat me. Then he exaggerated the effect IMO as you don't have your best round afterwards if you are on autopilot for 4 rounds and don't remember anything until being back in the lockerroom. And then basically blamed the whole loss on not having a full camp.

Do you not see the difference?

Don't tell us that you couldn't see out of your eye. If your eye was busted, we know you can't see. Also, if you say I couldn't see at all, don't immediately say you lost your peripheral vision.

Do you nitpick this hard in real life? It was essentially the same response, he just didn't word the way you wanted it to, and now it's an excuse?

In the post fight interview he said "No excuses but here is my excuse anyways." like a lot of the butt hurt fighters say when they lose.

They are asked about the events that led to the conclusion of the fight. It's called an explanation. And that's exactly what Pettis did. By your rationale, it was your fault to have been hit by a drunk driver by standing where you were.

Last edited:
They are asked about the events that led to the conclusion of the fight. It's called an explanation. And that's exactly what Pettis did. By your rationale, it was your fault to have been hit by a drunk driver by standing where you were.

I'v already posted this in the thread but all that Rogan said to Pettis was
'what surprised you about RDA in this fight' n Pettis said yea man he hit me with the first punch of the night n i couldn't see the whole fight, no excuses'......

I personally thin it takes away from RDA's win a bit with a comment like that, basically acting like one punch to the eye cost him the fight

"But I will fight smart this time, I won’t let this happen again."

Seems clear to me. You aren't giving credit to your opponent when you say the reason he caught you is because you weren't fighting smart. That is saying i beat myself, he didn't really beat me. Then he exaggerated the effect IMO as you don't have your best round afterwards if you are on autopilot for 4 rounds and don't remember anything until being back in the lockerroom. And then basically blamed the whole loss on not having a full camp.

In the post fight interview Pettis offered more excuses than Barao did in his.

The comments you quoted are in the lead up to the rematch, a time where he is basically forced to say something of that sort to get people interested.

If you compare Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges, Barao said less.

Not that I think Pettis is making excuses but it just seems biased to give one a pass but not the other.

Give it time and if Pettis does get a rematch I can guarantee Pettis will say something similar to what Barao said when its his turn to hype the rematch.
And You know what I will not hold it against Pettis because basically every fighter has to say something of the sort to hype the fight.

He should thanks RDA for his mercy, who choosed to not punch, kick or elbow his right eye in the round 5

I'v already posted this in the thread but all that Rogan said to Pettis was
'what surprised you about RDA in this fight' n Pettis said yea man he hit me with the first punch of the night n i couldn't see the whole fight, no excuses'......

I personally thin it takes away from RDA's win a bit with a comment like that, basically acting like one punch to the eye cost him the fight

Personally have no issue becauseI have full confidence that RDA was trying to punch him and hurt him when he punched him and hurt him. What gets me is guys talking about injuries and shit like that.

I don't even have much of an issue if its said a day or two after, but in the cage you shut the fuck up and let the guy who beat you have his moment without being a bitch.

An example would be Bigfoot talking about his hurt back after he drew with Hunt, that bugged me alot.

Back