Anthony Pettis' Corner Should Have Thrown In The Towel

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pettis was also heard in between rounds telling his corner that he couldn't see, and it raises serious questions on whether his coaches should've actually pulled the plug on the contest after learning this. Eyes are more delicate and don't really heal like joints or other injuries, so by not throwing in the towel, Duke Roufus and his corner actually risked permanent damage. Hopefully things turn out well for the former champion's health, but allowing him to continue without vision on one eye is just reckless on his coaches part.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/1...pettis-vs-rafael-dos-anjos-full-interview-eye

Flashback:

After fighting his way into the UFC, heavyweight Josh (Cuddly Bear) Copeland wasn't about to exit early. In his UFC debut last November, Copeland absorbed a high kick and was caught in the eye by Ruslan Magomedov's toe late in the second round.

"Instantly everything turned completely white," he recalled.

Copeland kept fighting even though he couldn't see out of the eye.

"I was blind in that eye for a couple of a weeks," he said. "You always think going in there, worst-case scenario you're going to break a bone or get knocked out or whatever. You don't really think of losing your eyesight."

Copeland recoiled in obvious pain when the kick landed. After the second round, when the doctor asked whether he could see out of his left eye, he replied, "Yes."

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...tagon-doctor-prevent-doctor-stoppage-2956727/

Last edited:
Remember this incident involving the same team?

"Roufusport fighter Dennis Munson Jr., 24, died due to head trauma following an unsanctioned, amateur kickboxing bout in March. An investigative report in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last month highlighted apparent negligence at the event from officials, doctors and Munson's own cornermen."

Anthony Pettis: Duke Roufus haters using fighter's death 'to attack personal issues'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/1/7317483/anthony-pettis-duke-roufus-haters-using-fighters-death-to-attack

200w.gif

Remember this incident involving the same team?

"Roufusport fighter Dennis Munson Jr., 24, died due to head trauma following an unsanctioned, amateur kickboxing bout in March. An investigative report in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last month highlighted apparent negligence at the event from officials, doctors and Munson's own cornermen."

Anthony Pettis: Duke Roufus haters using fighter's death 'to attack personal issues'

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/1/7317483/anthony-pettis-duke-roufus-haters-using-fighters-death-to-attack

Wow.

That is fucked up.

About Pettits:
Seriously, the sport should be ok with them throwing in the towel in the forth, live to fight another day, prolong their career.

Those who think otherwise are morons.

If he couldn't see because of swelling, then I don't think throwing in the towel is necessary. But his eye wasn't that swollen. Should've had it checked out by the dr at least.

Pettis was hit by several hard lefts that he never seemed to see coming. Still, he was never completely out of the fight. Although he got the worst of the fight standing, he certainly was landing well in his own right.

I think Carla Esparza's coach should have been the one to throw in the towel. She had stopped fighting back well before the fight ended and was eating pretty much everything her opponent threw.

pettis can make this decision on his own. if he couldn't fight with one eye, pettis knows what are his options--fight or quit.

The way I see it, Anthony said he couldn't see so it's their responsibility to then make the call. Of course he's going to want to continue but you have to look at the best interest for your fighter. That is, if you actually give a shit about your fighter. Allowing him to continue could've caused permanent damage to his eye.

I also agree with IngaVovchanchyn that Carla's corner should've stopped the fight as well.

That is stuff you definitely do not want to mess around with. Irresponsible on the corners part.

pettis can make this decision on his own. if he couldn't fight with one eye, pettis knows what are his options--fight or quit.
You think Pettis is gonna quit with Roufus in his corner?

You could have made the same argument for Sonnen v Silva 1 during the 4th round.

To me it seems extremely disrespectful to throw in the towel on a defending champion. Pettis is well aware of the risks of fighting. He could easily give up a rnc if he wanted out of the match.

You could have made the same argument for Sonnen v Silva 1 during the 4th round.

To me it seems extremely disrespectful to throw in the towel on a defending champion. Pettis is well aware of the risks of fighting. He could easily give up a rnc if he wanted out of the match.

Silva's eye was injured?

And no fighter of Pettis caliber is gonna give up a fight. Don't be ridiculous.

The way I see it, Anthony said he couldn't see so it's their responsibility to then make the call. Of course he's going to want to continue but you have to look at the best interest for your fighter. That is, if you actually give a shit about your fighter. Allowing him to continue could've caused permanent damage to his eye.

I also agree with IngaVovchanchyn that Carla's corner should've stopped the fight as well.

Well said

I think they should have at least had the doctor check it out. If he couldn't see, what if he kept taking shots to that eye (which I'm sure he did) and he could have suffered permanent damage like loss of eyesight completely or damaged vision.

I get that fighters have made amazing comebacks before, Anderson on Sonnen is the most obvious example, but difference is Anderson wasn't fucked in the face and eye going into that 5th.

People would be completely shitting on Pettis' corner if he was blinded permanently. Stopping the fight is the BEST option. Get an immediate rematch with a doctor stoppage, less brain damage, and better chance of not getting BLINDED.

The poll should be altered. Calling for the Dr. is the same as quitting. If the Dr. says can you see out of the eye, and Pettis says no, the fight is over. There is no point calling for the Dr. if you are going to lie and say you can see fine.

ETA: It happened in the first round, so people voting yes are in favor of Dr. stoppage after the 1st round.

They should have brought in a doctor at the very least. They completely ignored the injury that their fighter had sustained which is a pretty good sign it's a very poor corner.

I think more care needs to be taken with eye issues in MMA even if the corner/fighter aren't the ones doing it. The doctor should be finding these things out. Pretty ridiculous that a fight like GSP/Koscheck wasn't stopped when Koscheck's orbital was broken in the first round and by the last round he was punching the air.

Back