Anthony Pettis: "Barboza will actually show up to fight."

Learn how to wrestle then.

He just needs to get Chuck-like sprawl takedown defense.

liddell-sprawl-320x192.jpg

Man you can keep complaining about the way that they score top position or controlling the clinch but it's not going to change the way that it's done. I just find it insane that people are still able to do this to Pettis. I would've bet my house after the Guida fight that he would've corrected that part of his game. Like I mentioned before, he trains with one of THE BEST grapplers in the entire sport of MMA on a daily basis! Honestly, he should be the one with the skills to do that to other people! Like at what point are you going to stop blaming the judges and maybe ask why he isn't fixing that hole in his game?

Pettis out wrestled Alvarez. Eddie went 6/15 on takedowns which means over half the fight Pettis was dictating where it took place. Even in the clinch Pettis out struck Eddie and defended the takedowns. Most of these takedowns were inside the 3rd as well the only round Eddie won and he outstruck Eddie comfortably the first two rounds. It has been corrected Pettis is difficult to take down now but our judging system rewards fighters who fail to complete takedowns and stall along the cage. Takedowns are scored for points but defending take downs is not scored as effective grappling. And if training with Askren should make Pettis a world class wrestler why isn't Askren a world class striker? Or maybe training obviously doesn't work like that...

If Pettis can't get to Barboza's chin early, I could see Barboza outstriking him. Pettis hasn't really outstruck a really good striker recently. Barboza was lighting up Ferguson before getting submitted. Should be a good scrap.

Will Pettis come to fight? I hate the way that Alvarez won, but you LET him hump you against the cage. Pettis had no defense or offense to remove Alvarez from humping his leg.
I am looking forward to this next match up though. Should be action packed.

I'm not gonna hate on Alvarez, but he was barely competing in the sport aspect of mma.

Sure he was holding on to Pettis, but he was incredibly unimpressive IMO.

It was like watching a basketball team score a few lay ups and then play keep away in there own end.

No shot clock in mma though.

Back when there was no shot clock in basketball, that was basketball.

Yellow cards inc.

Yup, Nate didn't even say he'd win thr fight, pains me to admit he probably isn't feeling too confident.

Also admitting to feeling weak with the cage pushing/wrestling seems like a bad idea

Pettis needs to stop working on his TDD so much, imo. It was much better in the alvarez fight, but it actually hurt him more because it slowed the fight down too much.'

I feel like he was better off just pulling guard and working from his guard then staying pushed against the fence for 15 minutes.
I thought that too. Ironically it just created a stalemate but with his back against the fence he was going to lose the scoring.

But it has to be hard to intentionally give it up. And one would think their opponent would eventually tire. He just has had the misfortune to face a few high level guys that can do that style and have cardio for days.

Yup, Nate didn't even say he'd win thr fight, pains me to admit he probably isn't feeling too confident.

Also admitting to feeling weak with the cage pushing/wrestling seems like a bad idea

Nate never says he'll win. Not that I can remember anyway. I'm not sure either brother ever does say that.

When did he admit this?

Pettis out wrestled Alvarez. Eddie went 6/15 on takedowns which means over half the fight Pettis was dictating where it took place. Even in the clinch Pettis out struck Eddie and defended the takedowns. Most of these takedowns were inside the 3rd as well the only round Eddie won and he outstruck Eddie comfortably the first two rounds. It has been corrected Pettis is difficult to take down now but our judging system rewards fighters who fail to complete takedowns and stall along the cage. Takedowns are scored for points but defending take downs is not scored as effective grappling. And if training with Askren should make Pettis a world class wrestler why isn't Askren a world class striker? Or maybe training obviously doesn't work like that...
Yea but what you just said about judging isn't new. Remember Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann? One of the most egregious wall and stall performances of all time but Shields still won. Clearly there is a way to work on controlling the clinch, guys like Couture made a career out of it. Maybe it is a little reductionist to assume that just training with a world class wrestler should improve your wrestling, but as the fighter it's on you to make sure that you gain those skills. If he can't get it at his camp or isn't taking the time to work on it then it needs to be addressed.

That is true

I'm going by what the OP said, if he did say it then I think it wasn't a smart idea

Pettis should be thanking Alvarez. Now him and Joe Duffy can forget jujitsu, forget standup, and just train take down defense. That is your only weakness.

and the times they were in the middle and striking.. Pettis was just staring at him 99% of the time and throwing nothing. 3 minutes of round 2 there was no wrestling at all and Pettis was doing nothing.

Pettis landed more strikes in round 2 against Alvarez than Cruz did in the rounds he won (1-3) against TJ. Despite being wall n stalled for 2 minutes.

Hell, Pettis actually landed almost as many strikes in rounds 1, 2 and 3 against Eddie (56) as Dom did in rounds 1, 2 and 3 against TJ (57).

He's salty because he can't wrestle.

Eddie was doing no damage with his "wrestling". He shut down Pettis' offense while providing none of his own; basically preventing any sort of fight from taking place.

It was a terrible fight. If everyone was satisfied to stall like that there'd be no money in MMA and it sure as he'll wouldn't be on television.

I thought that too. Ironically it just created a stalemate but with his back against the fence he was going to lose the scoring.

But it has to be hard to intentionally give it up. And one would think their opponent would eventually tire. He just has had the misfortune to face a few high level guys that can do that style and have cardio for days.

Yeah, I dunno. It's just that Pettis has such a legit ground game off his back that I can't imagine his coaches would keep telling him to get pushed up against the cage. He just never circled out. I thought towards the end maybe he'd at least go for a desperate triangle or something.

show up to fight, hahahaha

stop crying pettis

If Barbosa does anything other than mix up striking with wrestling, put the pressure and take Petit's down then his coach needs to be fired.. Blueprint to beat Pettis is out there. Just take the path of least resistance, Barbosa needs a win.

Back