Anthony Pettis: #2 striker in UFC?

Don't know how you can even debate the bolded ones.

The Diaz one is in there for humorous intent I assume?

Actually Hominick it is a great striker. Too bad Aldo ruined his brain for life.
And Shogun obviously is a great striker too. A healthy Shogun outstriked Chuck and Machida!

But I'm with you in Vitor, Diaz and Barao. Good strikers, but not the best.

The same Hominick that got KO'd in 7 seconds by KZ and has outstruck noone of note?

that has nothing to do with anything - anyone can say "oh you mean the same Pettis that lost to Palaszewski.

And oh, forgot about Makdessi, Cruickshank, Njokuani and Barboza. LW really is nicely fullfilled with great strikers in the new breed.

that has nothing to do with anything - anyone can say "oh you mean the same Pettis that lost to Palaszewski.

Losing via split decision and getting KOed are hardly the same thing.

geez 2010 join date, I'd assume you knew what you were talking about. If you think the fighters I've listed aren't better strikers I don't know what to say. What's wrong with the bolded fighters I've listed.

Diaz has some of the best Boxing in mma, maybe you haven't heard.

Hominick's striking is as technical as anyone. Shogun and Vitor, nothing has to be said. Pettis is flashy I'll give him that.

First of all, no, having no head movement, no footwork and overall poor defense does not make you one of the best boxers.

And again, the same Hominick that was KO'd in 7 seconds by KZ. Tell me anyone of note Hominick has outstruck.

Shogun is a technical brawler.

Anderson
Mousasi
Overeem
Aldo/pettis
Mark hunt
Condit
Barao
Frankie
Diaz
Cerrone

This is a tough call, he's definitely up there but I would argue that there are more than the obvious. For example, guys like GSP aren't knockout artists but uses his strikes incredibly well to set up other things. Hunt might not be technically crisp but his power is absurd. Overeem has better striking credentials than Anderson, Ado and Pettis combined, granted the Bigfoot fight makes people think he's a washed up nobody now but that is the reality of it.

For me:
(in the UFC only)

01.) Alistair Overeem
02.) Anderson Silva
03.) Jose Aldo
04.) Junior Dos Santos
05.) Anthony Pettis
06.) Jon Jones
07.) Renan Barao
08.) Georges St-Pierre
09.) Mark Hunt
10.) Vitor Belfort

Isn't that the guy who just got KTFO by BF......Sorry if you are the best then you don't get KTFO......

Overeem and Anderson are the two best as far as straight up skill goes, imo, but Silva has the chin and that weaving that keeps him unfazed and allows him to be more secure.

Pettis is next, Aldo closely behind him (I had Aldo above Silva a few years ago, but Anderson's boxing has improved since then).

Then it's Barboza, Alves, Daley, Hunt, JDS and Njokuani to fill my top 10, and after watching Conor McGregor's past fights, he's close to the highest level, just needs more good comp (which can change things). Order:

1. Overeem
2. Anderson
3. Pettis
4. Aldo
5. Barboza
6. Njokuani
7. Hunt (is tough to place, could be higher or lower. Is good at pacing himself, but his age combined with his weight limits him more than before)
8. Alves
9. JDS
10. Daley

Barboza was headed to K-1, Njokuani is on his level, Hunt and Reem won it, and the rest with the exception of Alves and Daley would be near the top there. Mousasi is on the level of Alves and Daley, he's one of the best. As is Gus. Gus & Mousasi are the best strikers at LHW.

Anderson
Aldo
Alves
Pettis

Losing via split decision and getting KOed are hardly the same thing.

I agree, but the point was made that Hominick is not a technically good striker because he lost in 7 seconds.

I agree, but the point was made that Hominick is not a technically good striker because he lost in 7 seconds.

Nope, the point was made as Hominick got KO'd in less than 7 seconds standing up with KZ.

Anderson
Machida
Aldo
Pettis
Jds
Condit
Edgar
Mighty mouse(surpised noones mentioned him. Great movement boxing and defense)
Barao
Bisbing(u might not agree but the only thing he does wrong is leave his chin up)

Everyone has flaws but these fighters consistently outstrike their opponents using good technique and fight iq

Aldo Pettis is gonna be a fkng awesome fight, but by far Aldo is the superior striker

First of all, no, having no head movement, no footwork and overall poor defense does not make you one of the best boxers.

And again, the same Hominick that was KO'd in 7 seconds by KZ. Tell me anyone of note Hominick has outstruck.

Shogun is a technical brawler.

now you're also saying Diaz is not one of the best strikers. No one wants to stand with him. lol

Roop

Shogun is a striker

yes Hominick was KO'd in 7 seconds, it happens. In fairness to Hominick he had alot going on in his life at the time and got caught. Hominicks' striking is STILL better then the KZ.

forgot to mention Edgar in the original comment.

Can't believe this fight is happening.

Such an underrated fight.

Oh please let Anderson fight Jones and GSP, while all the attention is there, people are missing the realllll fucking fight right here.

I'm making sure everyone I know, know about this fight.

Anderson
Machida
Aldo
Pettis
Jds
Condit
Edgar
Mighty mouse(surpised noones mentioned him. Great movement boxing and defense)
Barao
Bisbing(u might not agree but the only thing he does wrong is leave his chin up)

Everyone has flaws but these fighters consistently outstrike their opponents using good technique and fight iq

Although I love Condit he is a technical brawler (although his fight with Diaz was a really smart one). But yes, he is a great striker, but not that much of technical that he would need to be in this convo.

And yeah, Bisping. Great boxer, but lacks power and chin. Also, I find him a better striker than Belfort (but not more efficient, sadly).

This is a tough call, he's definitely up there but I would argue that there are more than the obvious. For example, guys like GSP aren't knockout artists but uses his strikes incredibly well to set up other things. Hunt might not be technically crisp but his power is absurd. Overeem has better striking credentials than Anderson, Ado and Pettis combined, granted the Bigfoot fight makes people think he's a washed up nobody now but that is the reality of it.

For me:
(in the UFC only)

01.) Alistair Overeem
02.) Anderson Silva
03.) Jose Aldo
04.) Junior Dos Santos
05.) Anthony Pettis
06.) Jon Jones
07.) Renan Barao
08.) Georges St-Pierre
09.) Mark Hunt
10.) Vitor Belfort

ROFLCOPTER BAHAHAHAH OMFG BAHAHAHHAH ROFL.

No.

susumu04_display_image.jpg

1. Anderson
2. Aldo
3. Alves

alveslegkickslytle.gif

leg_kick.gif

alveslegkickskosh.gif

Back