Anthony Pettis: #2 striker in UFC?

SL9

Believe
Reaction score
In my opinion Anderson Silva is the only one who I would have above Pettis in terms of standup...

1) Anderson Silva
2) Anthony Pettis
3) Jose Aldo

Maybe theres someone I'm missing... let me know.

Last edited:
I can't really pick between him and Aldo for #2. Good thing they're fighting.

Can't believe this fight is happening.

Such an underrated fight.

Oh please let Anderson fight Jones and GSP, while all the attention is there, people are missing the realllll fucking fight right here.

To be honest I think Aldo is going to go for takedowns.

He won't get them easily, he will have to work hard for them. Anthony isn't Hominick.

Pettis is gonna be fine, and these two are going to stand and bang.

Anthony's movement and TDD combined together will make sure of it.

All three have diverse and effective striking, it's hard to place them in a specific order. I think Pettis would be third, he's revered on here because of THAT kick

He's top 3 pertaining to entertainment value for damn sure. But yeah he's way up there now overall. So fluid, so creative, so well diversified. I love how he brings Capoeira into the octagon. Can't think of another guy who is doing that at the top level.

This is a tough call, he's definitely up there but I would argue that there are more than the obvious. For example, guys like GSP aren't knockout artists but uses his strikes incredibly well to set up other things. Hunt might not be technically crisp but his power is absurd. Overeem has better striking credentials than Anderson, Ado and Pettis combined, granted the Bigfoot fight makes people think he's a washed up nobody now but that is the reality of it.

For me:
(in the UFC only)

01.) Alistair Overeem
02.) Anderson Silva
03.) Jose Aldo
04.) Junior Dos Santos
05.) Anthony Pettis
06.) Jon Jones
07.) Renan Barao
08.) Georges St-Pierre
09.) Mark Hunt
10.) Vitor Belfort

I don't know about #2, but he's certainly up there. His fight with bendo showed how good his striking really is.

My take is that Pettis doesn't have the mental game down. He's all show and ego and not really centred in himself.

1- Anderson
2- Machida
3- GSP
4- Thiago Alves
5- Pettis
6- JDS
7- Aldo
8- Overeem
9- Shogun
10- Mousasi

Honorable mention: Cung Le

No way. He is more flashy but Aldo is more of a striker. His boxing is technical, his jab is amazing, his head movement is one of the best ever and he kicks just as well as Pettis (leg kicks are even better).

I love Pettis, great great fighter but Aldo is way too much for him. Just a little better in every aspect of the game

Jose Aldo is going to shock a lot of people on how he handles Pettis.

And for this thread no Pettis isn't my top 5

Anderson
Machida
Aldo
Barao
Jones

Jose Aldo is going to shock a lot of people on how he handles Pettis.

And for this thread no Pettis isn't my top 5

Anderson
Machida
Aldo
Barao
Jones

I'm a huge Barao fan, but honestly, there is no way he can be considered a top 5 striker in the ufc. That's just crazy, he brawls a lot.

Have to agree. So confident, so creative, so effective

Back