Anthony Joshua open to MMA cage fight

Lol as if hw has so much to offer right now , he's alnost done clearing the division
Its really not Stipe's fault that the modern-day HWs feel the need to cut as far as MW to maintain a career

Hell, LW fighters are walking around at 200 pounds.

..... lol UFC hype machine works wonders on you dude

Fighting Stipe would fucking suck.. but his Joshua character would punch you way fucking harder.
hype machine? please, I'm talking marketing strategies with you, and highlighting attributes that could factor into packaging of the man... I've got extensive education and experience in the field... I know what I'm talking about.

Meanwhile you're saying "oh I can't describe it, but he just doesn't have 'it'"... and now carrying on with "lol"... so I'm not going to waste my time after saying this:

If you think you have a better chance of beating Stipe than you do Joshua, than you're a fucking idiot. With 25 years of training under my belt, I reckon maybe at a smallest percentage, I could take Joshua down or catch him in some submission if I pulled guard or something... maybe 1% chance I'd have against him... but against Stipe it would be 0% every time. There's nothing I could do to beat that man no matter how many times I tried. He's a solid all around MMA fighter, and that too at HW.

That's all I'm discussing of this with you.

I mean, you don't even find Stipe appealing on any level because he doesn't have "it"... simple truth is that if you were a martial artist yourself, you'd see how scary Stipe is... there's a reason K1 Champion Overeem ran from him in the fight the way he did... so in truth, YOU don't have "it" to understand the intensity of one Stipe Miocic.

But whatever dude. you're in the majority. we're in the gimmick-era of mma. so I understand I'm in the minority.

That's all I'm discussing of this with you for now. Peace.

Also, these people saying Anthony could beat the UFC heavyweights in a muay thai fight... Are you serious? You'd think this was a boxing forum, not an MMA forum. Look here man, keep distance, lowkicks, headkicks, teeps and when he comes close clinch, knees and elbows. Logic guys. Use it.

Sounds like you're suggesting he embraces a Firebreaker Stipe gimmick based on him being a fireman. Or maybe a Cleveland Brawler gimmick based on him having a baseball background. Or one of those other silly and failed gimmicks that wrestling jobbers had back in the 90's.
Stipe being a firefighter is NOT a gimmick. Its a fact. Same goes with him being from Cleveland, and his collegiate background.

You guys have to step away from that pro-wrestling mentality. This is a sport. If you keep watching it through pro-wrestling lens, then we're going to keep getting Ronda/Conor type of hypejobs and fake packaging.

I'm not American, but I thought that being a 'hero' is a pretty big deal for you guys out there... so if you as an American tells me that no one gives a shit about firefighters then sure, I'm in no position to argue. I'm basing it off what I see on your TV programs/news.

yea but with the MayMac hype, it makes more sense to say "MMA with no submissions". lol

There are many different types of stand-up in Martial Arts. You do understand that if you mixed them together in a stand-up match, it would be a Mix of Martial Arts... right???

I reckon maybe at a smallest percentage, I could take Joshua down or catch him in some submission if I pulled guard or something.
I sucessfully trolled you so hard you posted the most embarracing post of the day. have a good one.

I sucessfully trolled you so hard you posted the most embarracing post of the day. have a good one.
Oh wow, congratulations... you succeeded in making me talk about MMA on sherdog. Well done!

lol, getting emotional and making it personal on a forum, plus gloating over trolling-attempts. pathetic.

peace

There are many different types of stand-up in Martial Arts. You do understand that if you mixed them together in a stand-up match, it would be a Mix of Martial Arts... right???
That's an equivocation on "Mixed Martial Arts".

Yes, mixing of multiple martial arts is a "mix of martial arts"... but when we say "mixed martial arts" (noun), we're referring to the sport of MMA as defined and sanctioned by the Athletic Commissions.

Stipe being a firefighter is NOT a gimmick. Its a fact. Same goes with him being from Cleveland, and his collegiate background.

You guys have to step away from that pro-wrestling mentality. This is a sport. If you keep watching it through pro-wrestling lens, then we're going to keep getting Ronda/Conor type of hypejobs and fake packaging.

I'm not American, but I thought that being a 'hero' is a pretty big deal for you guys out there... so if you as an American tells me that no one gives a shit about firefighters then sure, I'm in no position to argue. I'm basing it off what I see on your TV programs/news.

I'm not American either. Canadian here. But what you're suggesting they market Stipe as is something that the UFC has tried many times in the past and without much success. It worked one time with Couture because he was the original All-American working class nice guy. They then tried to duplicate that by investing heavily in marketing Rich Franklin as the All-American working class nice guy who happened to be a school teacher, and while he had some success as a PPV draw, it wasn't nearly to the level that they were envisioning with him. The fans saw it as a "been there, done that" situation as they already had Couture. Same thing in more recent years with guys like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman. They're portrayed as the All-American working class nice guy who drape themselves with the American flag and neither have been able to go on and become big draws on their own. There's nothing unique about them and that's one of the main selling points when it comes to fight sports. If you look at all the biggest draws in UFC history they all had something very unique to sell to the public that the UFC hadn't seen before.

only because Miocic has like zero fan base.

Hes got Cleveland.

Joshua has a country.

Stipe was great against JDS though. If he keeps winning he will become a big name

Man the UFC is messing up a chance with Stipe to make him a big time star.

HE'S A FIREFIGHTER and Cleveland worships him.

He should stay in his own sport. He just did the nearly impossible and dethroned Klitschko (in a more convincing way than Fury could ever muster). He should cement his legacy in boxing, instead of getting distracted chasing freakshow fight paydays.

I'm not American either. Canadian here. But what you're suggesting they market Stipe as is something that the UFC has tried many times in the past and without much success. It worked one time with Couture because he was the original All-American working class nice guy. They then tried to duplicate that by investing heavily in marketing Rich Franklin as the All-American working class nice guy who happened to be a school teacher, and while he had some success as a PPV draw, it wasn't nearly to the level that they were envisioning with him. The fans saw it as a "been there, done that" situation as they already had Couture. Same thing in more recent years with guys like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman. They're portrayed as the All-American working class nice guy who drape themselves with the American flag and neither have been able to go on and become big draws on their own. There's nothing unique about them and that's one of the main selling points when it comes to fight sports. If you look at all the biggest draws in UFC history they all had something very unique to sell to the public that the UFC hadn't seen before.
Thanks for taking the time to share your insight in a mature manner.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Rich Franklin. He was a very big star for the UFC, and one of my favorite fighters - ever... even till today. But the problem was that he simply couldn't beat Anderson Silva. God how I wish USADA was around in that era. Anyways, my personal feelings aside, the UFC has tremendous success with both Couture and Franklin. Hell, they even made a franklinweight and that would sell as the main-event. They could main-event Rich Franklin anywhere, and that arena would sell...

You'll find a lot of diehard Rich Franklin fans like myself lurking around sherdog.

Anyways, on point, being a firefighter is much different from being an all-American poster boy. The average man is not an all-American college star. The average man, can however, identify with being a firefighter. That's my opinion on it at least.

I'll tell you the real reason why they won't spend money on marketing Stipe, its because Stipe has been unhappy with the UFC since the Overeem fight, and is now leveraging his position against them for a bigger deal after finding out that the challenger made more money than him in their fight (which is fucking unfair IMO).

So, until that is resolved, they're not going to promote him on any level.

And its not because he doesn't have unique attributes- he's the most well rounded HW mixed martial artist in a very long time... possibly ever: Golden Gloves winner in boxing, NCAA wrestler...MMA champion with a chance of making history for most consecutive title defenses.

This is just a different era of MMA. The UFC under the Hollywood agency, wants angles... gimmicks, stories... 'talk'... and other TMZ shit. Stipe is not up for all of that. Hell, even GSP didn't fit their mold anymore - they told him they'd have to spend millions reintroducing him to the market (last year)... despite GSP being the top accumulated-PPV draw in UFC history. That humble and noble martial artist honor thing is gone... and so with that, yes, Stipe has nothing unique to offer the current UFC regime.

However, they could still surely promote him on multiple levels with the FACT that he's the most dangerous man on the planet. If they can convince people that Ronda Rousey is the best female athlete on the planet, they should have some success in making people believe that Stipe is the best fighter in the UFC at least, even if not in the entire world.

Stipe Miocic has 2 losses in his MMA career (as a HW), and is undefeated against Fire. BAM

Stipe wins most likely if wrestling is still allowed. But this would be much more interesting than Mcgregor trying to beat Mayweather in boxing. If it was strictly kickboxing, then I would give Joshua a much bigger chance, although it's hard to say how he would deal with kicks.

He would get destroyed in pure stand up with any top level pure striker but MMA fighters are not pure strikers and not many of the top guys are solely from a pure striking background. I'd pick a complete striker like Overeem over Anthony Joshua in a kickboxing match but guys like Stipe whose base is 'boxing' and who have a low level kicking game aren't exactly the most lethal.

Of course it is also a myth that all boxers have insane K.O. power and that boxers with 4oz gloves somehow equals=== 'you are dead with first punch'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2...mma-cage-fight-future-boxing-bout-mayweather/

Anthony Joshua would be willing to box a mixed martial artist or accept a cage fight in the future.

He told Press Association Sport: "I like fighting, I'd do whatever.

"I'd probably get beaten. The only thing that they can't do is submissions, but they can kick, elbow, bite - whatever they want. Just no submissions.

"I can't beat a guy (via submission). That takes a lot of time to learn the skills and submissions, which I don't have the time for, but when it comes to pure aggression and fighting rules, I can definitely fight, so I don't mind that.

"It wouldn't be a problem. If you look at most boxers who've crossed over to MMA, they get beaten on the ground. James Toney, Roy Jones, they were phenomenal boxers but they just couldn't compete in the cage because of the 'ground and pound' game.

------------------
AJ managing to accept things for what they are, which is pretty mature.

Would definitely be fun to see Joshua VS Overeem in an mma-kickboxing bout in the near future.

The Reem would KILL mr Joshua in a kickboxing fight,

latest

I would like to see a hybrid fight game. Much like Muay Thai in that it would include throws. I'd also include takedowns. Fuck 10-9 scoring, too. Score a point for each takedown (the goal of battle in the field, wherein in a cage fight we know stomps can end you if they are allowed) and 5 for a knockdown.

Back