Anthony Joshua Lands Fight With Wladimir Klitschko; Announcement Coming This Week

Its tough to know exactly how Wlad is going to be at this point. He's not in his prime anymore, but I can still see both scenarios where he shows up looking like a shell of his former self or him still having some decent fight left in him.

Is this the fight next month??

Or an agreement for 2017?

This is a good question, but since Wlad had his fight cancelled I'm hoping its this year.

Rooting for AJ here, good to see the Klitschko era being over. Klits decline happened so suddenly, I thought his performance vs Pulev (an inarguable all time great) was great but he went downhill so fast after that. Say what you will about Fury but I do think he's definitely, along with Ortiz, the best heavyweight around and if he gets his shit together he probably beats Joshua and Wilder.

Rooting for AJ here, good to see the Klitschko era being over. Klits decline happened so suddenly, I thought his performance vs Pulev (an inarguable all time great) was great but he went downhill so fast after that. Say what you will about Fury but I do think he's definitely, along with Ortiz, the best heavyweight around and if he gets his shit together he probably beats Joshua and Wilder.

I think styles make fights.

Even back in 2008 Wladimir had a terrible stinker vs. Sultan Ibragimov. In his next fight he got beat to the punch by Tony Thompson before Manny Steward made him go for the KO.

The David Haye fight was also pretty awful, not to mention the Povetkin fight. And also Bryant Jennings. By that logic he declined like 10x.

The fights where Wladimir looked good (Pulev, Wach, Thompson rematch) were a rarity.

I think styles make fights.

Even back in 2008 Wladimir had a terrible stinker vs. Sultan Ibragimov. In his next fight he got beat to the punch by Tony Thompson before Manny Steward made him go for the KO.

The David Haye fight was also pretty awful, not to mention the Povetkin fight. And also Bryant Jennings. By that logic he declined like 10x.

The fights where Wladimir looked good (Pulev, Wach, Thompson rematch) were a rarity.
I agree he looks good against tall and aggressive fighters. Wlad vs Joshua or Wilder will end in a KO.

Wlad against a short guy like Jennings or Povetkin is a stinker

I think saying that he declined by putting the Pulev and Fury fights in contrast is quite a stretch. Pulev fought a terrible fight. Fury is much more skilled, boxed entirely different.

No disprespect to Pulev though. He's still the GOAT. :)

Joshua taking a big chance here. Wlad is definitely on the decline, but AJ, while having great power has slow feet and fights stiff, I also don't think he has a great chin. Would not surprise me if Wlad KO's him.

Manchester? Ugh.

Huge risk Hearn is taking with his biggest cash cow, I hope it pays for off for AJ though.

Wlad looked shot to me last time out, couldn't pull the trigger at all, incredibly low output.

I agree that Wlad is far past it at this point but I also give credit to Fury who is awkward and doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves. But yeah I expect Joshua to stop Wlad.

Wlad is an ATG though so he still could win if he can turn back time one last time. I still give both fighters credit regardless of who wins even beating an old Wlad would be impressive for Joshua at this point and if Wlad wins then it#s a really good win for his legacy

This shows you all the nonsense about it takes years to make super fights in boxing nonsense. If 2 top fighters want to fight, the fight happens
Wlad is 40 and coming off losing all his titles, and lots consider Jushua not ready.
If both were prime and held world belts at the same time, this isnt happening.
This is a good fight, but nothing super about it.

thought hearn was all talk. kudos

The prominent rumour is that it will be December 10th and probably still in the UK - either the 02 or MEN Arena (whatever they call it these days)

Wlad is 40 and coming off losing all his titles, and lots consider Jushua not ready.
If both were prime and held world belts at the same time, this isnt happening.
This is a good fight, but nothing super about it.
AJ doesnt have to take this fight at all. His promoter says its AJ who is pushing for the fight. Neither does Vlad....this is the 2 best HW in the world. I dont care what titles Fury has....he isnt better than AJ

Doesnt Klitscko have a deal with HBO and Joshua have a deal with Showtime?

giphy.gif

Wlad looked shot to me last time out, couldn't pull the trigger at all, incredibly low output.
He didn't look great, for sure, but a good deal of that was Fury failing to engage at all.

If you plan on counter punching, and the opponent doesn't give you much to work with, it makes for a long fucking night.

Joshua will bring it though, so I suspect a great performance from Wlad.

(Not saying Joshua won't win, he very well may, just that against an aggressive opponent, Wlad will shine again.)

This is a good risk for Joshua to take. Wlad is old, looked it in his last fight and could be ready to go. But even if he's not and Anthony loses, then he just stepped up a bit too soon. He'll be able to bounce back from a loss to Wlad. And either way, he's going to make a ton of money.

Klit looked the same he always does. Show methodical low output. He just couldn't deal with a guy his size but quicker and tricky.

Joshua taking a big chance here. Wlad is definitely on the decline, but AJ, while having great power has slow feet and fights stiff, I also don't think he has a great chin. Would not surprise me if Wlad KO's him.

What makes you say that? Only time i've seen him have any trouble was when Whyte caught him flush with a really torqued up left hook in the 2nd round of their fight. Definitely stiffened him up but he wasn't close to going down really.

No reason to think he's got a bad chin on the basis of that. Plenty of fighters with proven granite chins get stiffened up/wobbled at some point in their career.

Back