Anthony Bourdain kills himself

Nobody kills themselves over a breakup unless there was already a long history of depression and other issues in the mix.
It's incredible that there are grown adults that can't grasp that.

When I've been suicidal the only thing that's stopped me is the thought of what it'd do to my parents. It is a selfish act in the end but in my experience at least, you're never more aware of other people than when you're considering suicide. Another thing is you wouldn't want to give some people the satisfaction

Ya, I am shocked that with a young child and his mom out there he could go through with it knowing the impact on them.

Beyond that I am shocked as the guy traveled many of he poorest areas of the world and always was able to put things in perspective for them and talked about how they found joy despite everything being so bleak around them. You would think he would have that context to lay back upon (well I could be a lot worse off).

Also I do wonder if there is a weird perverse satisfaction if the woman is the type to be a manipulative type who gets off on knowing a guy is really into her and then toying with his emotions, in that suicide. It is the ultimate power display, in some warped way to believe someone was into you that much that you had that much power over them. Literally life and death power.

Ya, I am shocked that with a young child and his mom out there he could go through with it knowing the impact on them.

Beyond that I am shocked as the guy traveled many of he poorest areas of the world and always was able to put things in perspective for them and talked about how they found joy despite everything being so bleak around them. You would think he would have that context to lay back upon (well I could be a lot worse off).

Also I do wonder if there is a weird perverse satisfaction if the woman is the type to be a manipulative type who gets off on knowing a guy is really into her and then toying with his emotions, in that suicide. It is the ultimate power display, in some warped way to believe someone was into you that much that you had that much power over them. Literally life and death power.

You guys are forgetting one very important thing. For people with life insurance, suicide isn’t always a selfish act. Knowing your loved ones will receive 500k or 1 mil if you die could be a reasonable motivator to end it all.

This is especially true for someone who is a shitty father and can’t support his family financially.

That isn't how it works. You are applying a logical mindset to a problem that by its very nature is illogical. What you mentioned about people bouncing back, yes that is how the human brain is supposed to work. They actually cover this in psychology. Crippling poverty, become paralyzed from the waist down, whatever. Most people will experience a temporary drop in happiness, then level back out. It's a survival mechanism. Works in reverse as well. Let's say you win the lottery tommorrow, you'll have a brief spike in happiness but eventually you will level out again.

That's why this logic a lot of people use of "look what that other guy is going through, and he isn't depressed" doesn't work. Generally speaking people aren't depressed because of quality of life. Of course it's a factor, but the root cause of depression is not typically related to quality of life.

cuck?

You guys are forgetting one very important thing. For people with life insurance, suicide isn’t always a selfish act. Knowing your loved ones will receive 500k or 1 mil if you die could be a reasonable motivator to end it all.

This is especially true for someone who is a shitty father and can’t support his family financially.
Never seen a life insurance policy that was not voided for suicide.

That isn't how it works. You are applying a logical mindset to a problem that by its very nature is illogical. What you mentioned about people bouncing back, yes that is how the human brain is supposed to work. They actually cover this in psychology. Crippling poverty, become paralyzed from the waist down, whatever. Most people will experience a temporary drop in happiness, then level back out. It's a survival mechanism. Works in reverse as well. Let's say you win the lottery tommorrow, you'll have a brief spike in happiness but eventually you will level out again.

That's why this logic a lot of people use of "look what that other guy is going through, and he isn't depressed" doesn't work. Generally speaking people aren't depressed because of quality of life. Of course it's a factor, but the root cause of depression is not typically related to quality of life.

Yeah with me I just random phases of intense depression. Sometimes it's triggered by some kind of real life event, but usually it just happens. And while I'm in that shit I think rationally and I can tell myself it's just a thing and given a couple of days or weeks or whatever I'll be back to normal, but the rational thought doesn't really count for much and it's largely drowned out. Every time you try and think positive it just releases a flood of bad memories and feelings. But ultimately it is just a phase and like it can happen anytime, it can stop anytime too.

Yeah with me I just random phases of intense depression. Sometimes it's triggered by some kind of real life event, but usually it just happens. And while I'm in that shit I think rationally and I can tell myself it's just a thing and given a couple of days or weeks or whatever I'll be back to normal, but the rational thought doesn't really count for much and it's largely drowned out. Every time you try and think positive it just releases a flood of bad memories and feelings. But ultimately it is just a phase and like it can happen anytime, it can stop anytime too.

I wouldn't call it depression per say but events from the past still bother me from time to time and then it fades away for years.

Never seen a life insurance policy that was not voided for suicide.

Then you haven’t seen many policies. If the suicide occurs more than 2 years after the policy start date, the insurance company has to pay.

Look it up and you’ll see I’m right.

you can feel intense fear anger and pain, crazy emotions and feel like you are about to die from fright. just weird feelings that make you want to die. its a very visceral experience that I'm glad I'm out of. all the talk of being grateful for what you have and seeing things differently is important but sometimes you have to get past this intense almost psychedelic experience. so i try not to judge people who kill themselves too harshly.

<WellThere>

Even knowing thoughts or feelings are irrational doesn't help at all. It helps later, when it doesn't matter anymore.

Potato quality but this was one of his darker episodes. We have Rippert talking about how to kill Tony-jokingly of course. But then he was the guy who discovered Tony's corpse.

0821-asia-argento-jimmy-bennett-tmz-wm3-3.jpg

surprised this dude gets the most feels from Sherdoggers. Was he a role model or something great besides a celebrity?

Then you haven’t seen many policies. If the suicide occurs more than 2 years after the policy start date, the insurance company has to pay.

Look it up and you’ll see I’m right.

I think it depends on the jurisdiction. What you described is how it works in Canada too because legislation has forced the insurance companies to honour the policies even in the event of a suicide provided two years has passed from when the policy was entered. As such, the two year rule has simply been written into all policies. However, I think in some states no such laws exist, and where they don’t insurance companies are at liberty to draft policies that have an absolute prohibition against suicide regardless of how long the policy has been in effect.

Don’t ask me where that’s the case because I’m not sure, but I’m about 80% sure I’ve heard that in some places it works like that.

Back