Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira Best Performances

His performance against Sergei was def his most impressive to me

theres not many HWs in history id favor over 03-05 Sergei before the shoulder and injuries fucked up his career. I would only favor a handful.

That was an incredible allaround performance by Nog
The Sapp and Cro Cop fights were very impressive too

Becoming the First Pride Heavyweight Champion beating Herring
Submitting Cro Cop
Taking Werdum to school
Barnett II
Handy

Personal favorite back to back anaconda choke wins

bob sapp put him through a beating, but really I wouldn't consider it a big win. it was a big come from behind win, but not a best win or performance. No CC, no Fedor, etc, not a very good list.

The wins over Sapp, and Mirko made him a legend. His win over Coleman made him champion. He has many other great wins

Tough decision over Volk Han
Tough decision over Kharitonov
Tough decision over Werdum
Tough decision over Couture

Plus the rivalries with Barnett, Herring, and Henderson

He went through a lot of wars, generally outdueling the other guy.

bob sapp put him through a beating, but really I wouldn't consider it a big win. it was a big come from behind win, but not a best win or performance.

I had it #1 because of how epic and legendary the fight was, and it is probably one of the greatest comeback victories in MMA history. I agree it wasn't Nogueirias best performance. I also put the Gustaffson as Jon Jones #1 fight in that breakdown, but it certainly wasn't his most dominant performance but demonstrated his heart and warrior spirit.

No CC, no Fedor, etc, not a very good list.

I had Cro Cop number 2. And I thought about including fedor, but it was a one sided beating 3 times, and the only credit you can give Big Nog was surviving and eating those big shots without going unconscious. Its not like Big Nog had any significant highlight from the fight or made a comeback.

Submitting Crocop. Damn that guy can take a beating.

What did chael "the American gayster" sonnen say? Lol. Some shit about Japan is fake fighting?

That the Nogueira brothers tried to feed a bus a carrot because they thought it was a horse...

the sapp comeback comes to mind
One of the greatest moments in mma history... At the time it was some Superman shit, beating Sapp wasn't even a proper thing back then.

Dat strength of schedule...

Fedor 3x
Barnett 2x
Cro Cop
Randy
Sylvia
Herting 3x
Coleman
Mir 2x
Semmy
Sergei
Werdum 2x
Cain
Etc

Best performance striking wise: Herring 2

Best performance grappling wise: Tim Sylvia - scored a late takedown in R2, pulled guard, swept, choked Tim in R3. All that against Tim Sylvia, a very tough opponent with excellent takedown defense and defensive ground game.

All around best fight: Barnett 1, even though he lost. That might have been the best heavyweight MMA fight ever.

When he busted out the anaconda choke on Heath Herring. That was the most dangerous Big Nog.

Best performance striking wise: Herring 2

Best performance grappling wise: Tim Sylvia - scored a late takedown in R2, pulled guard, swept, choked Tim in R3. All that against Tim Sylvia, a very tough opponent with excellent takedown defense and defensive ground game.

All around best fight: Barnett 1, even though he lost. That might have been the best heavyweight MMA fight ever.

Sergei was a better performance sturiking wise

Coleman armbar was nasty as well and that was when Coleman was one of the best P4P fighters in the world, anaconda on Heath as well

Barnett/Nog 1 was unquestionably the GOAT HW fight

Back