Another Top Rank Disgrace! Lomachenko to face Marriaga on Aug. 5 (Ducks Rigo)

Shame, would've been two chess players show casing their skills.

"So we moved on to trying to secure the best possible opponent at the time, and Miguel Marriaga stepped up to the plate"

What a joke! Rigo was hounding Top Rank and Lomachenko on twitter and Instagram asking for a fight even at 130.

I don't think Loma's team realizes what they've done with this move. They are so out of touch that they think that Loma is so beloved that fans just want to see him fight regardless of what bum he blows out, but that's not the case when better opponents are calling him out publicly and he goes out and fights these guys like Marriaga coming off a loss. They are going to ripped to shreds from fans, they're going to see their instagram pages flooded with cherries. It's going to be a very rude awakening because the fallout from this is going to be extreme. His career has been all good so far, and now he'll find out the other side of boxing and it wont be pretty.

Damn, fight fans are crazy nowadays.
I don't have any of that social media bullshit for many reasons but you as an adult boxing fan hounds fighters online because of a free fight you're not crazy about? Lol!

I'm sure he will have hurt feelings over you guys weird sense of entitlement .

Well now they're going to be looking to fight Salido in November and December... If he lasts that long.
They couldn't come to agreement on money for Salida. That combined with hyping the rig fight makes me think they wanted to do the rig fight but not so soon. Hopefully it happens in November.

Damn, fight fans are crazy nowadays.
I don't have any of that social media bullshit for many reasons but you as an adult boxing fan hounds fighters online because of a free fight you're not crazy about? Lol!

I'm sure he will have hurt feelings over you guys weird sense of entitlement .
I blame the Bay of Pigs on @cuban23

Rigo has to do what winky wright did back in the day when everyone was ducking him...

Its only a matter of time before rigo will be impossible to ignore.

It's only a matter of time before he gets too old and can't compete anymore. Man's what, 36 or 37? Time waits on no man. I expect big names will run the clock on him until he expires and fades away into obscurity. Unfortunate, but "is boxing".

What a shame... no salido rematch , no rigo even though he said he'll fight at 130 and now this .....

Saddest thing in boxing, watching Rigo miss out on a career. He deserved better. I wasn't 100% sold on his pro career right away, but his humiliation of all who stood in his way, yeah, he wasn't just the Olympic great, as a professional he was "The Man" at and around his weight, by a country mile.

I couldn't believe fans accepted the Frampton/LSC rematch, those two had dates with Rigo they avoided like the plague, i guess all he'll ever have is the Donaire W and not much else to put on his resume unless he gets this Loma fight.

I thought at very least they'd be brave enough to face each other... I never thought Rigo was afraid. He was unapologetically good the entire time his career has been in play.

Saddest thing in boxing, watching Rigo miss out on a career. He deserved better. I wasn't 100% sold on his pro career right away, but his humiliation of all who stood in his way, yeah, he wasn't just the Olympic great, as a professional he was "The Man" at and around his weight, by a country mile.

I couldn't believe fans accepted the Frampton/LSC rematch, those two had dates with Rigo they avoided like the plague, i guess all he'll ever have is the Donaire W and not much else to put on his resume unless he gets this Loma fight.

I thought at very least they'd be brave enough to face each other... I never thought Rigo was afraid. He was unapologetically good the entire time his career has been in play.

Politics & business aside, neither is afraid to face the other imo. What we do know is that this fight could've already happened when it was much more realistic at the time because they weren't two weight classes apart. Rigo did call Loma out then and then changed his mind by asking for more money/attempting to renegotiate when he was already offered a half million + another half million if he beat Loma. This was before Loma was even in the P4P conversation and was still at Featherweight. The fight could've been done at 126 for Loma's WBO title then and there.

What we just saw was posturing from Rigo's team and Roc Nation. They got every major YouTube channel with an agenda pushing for this fight all of a sudden (Dontae's Boxing Nation, BoxingEgo, etc). Instead of taking to Twitter and claiming that Loma had ducked him he should've had a conversation with Loma directly, which is what just happened a few days ago. No Bob Arum in the way (though Bob was okay the first time around with this match-up, which is being ignored for some strange reason). Neither manages their own social media accounts and their recent war of words came to a conclusion that Rigo seems happy with. I wouldn't be happy with it if I truly wanted this fight as badly as Rigo and his team claim he does. They had an entire campaign for this in effect and the answer he got days ago by talking to Loma personally that he was satisfied with is that he was confident that they'd fight "1day"? No urgency at all.

If I'm #TeamRigo I'd be telling them, "Let's set a date after our next fights". Rigo just fought, the decision was overturned and is being mandated to fight the same guy again (Flores). Loma was already negotiating with Salido and other fighters and will be fighting on ESPN under Top Rank's new deal. Look at the timing of this social media campaign on Rigo's side. It's the oldest trick in the book and all of that talk was for attention.

This fight would only be interesting if it happens at 126 and very soon. The 130 talk is just that, talk. Which is why the latest campaign to fight Loma started at 126 in the first place, #RigoLoma126. If this isn't at 126, when both fighters are AVAILABLE to even start negotiating, then there's no point in talking about it because it'd be a mismatch.

Last edited:
Could the match up possibly have anything to do with the fact that it will be free on ESPN? I'm guessing a Rigo fight would be a PPV. I agree this looks like another easy showcase of Loma. He needs to fight someone serious soon. But his team may want the exposure and press that comes from a free ESPN fight spot to further increase Loma's notoriety before taking a bigger fight.

Could the match up possibly have anything to do with the fact that it will be free on ESPN? I'm guessing a Rigo fight would be a PPV. I agree this looks like another easy showcase of Loma. He needs to fight someone serious soon. But his team may want the exposure and press that comes from a free ESPN fight spot to further increase Loma's notoriety before taking a bigger fight.

I don't know about PPV but it's a good chance for Loma to show off to a wide audience. With Rigo achieving the same in a Flores rematch we'd be pretty solid.

We're getting this disappointing fight the same way we got Sosa, because TR put all their eggs in one basket believing the Salido rematch was a sure thing (was supposed to be). Expect to see mismatches until Loma moves up. He's been trying to fight the other titleholders and get his rematch with Salido before moving up again. He can't force them to fight him. They don't care that they'll be receiving the highest payday they've had in their careers and a guaranteed spot on HBO (at the time), they didn't want to take the risk despite the reward. Even Rigo, as ducked as he's been in his division, can't claim there's some huge reward on his head for beating him as an incentive to fight. Lomachenko can since he's the new poster boy of Top Rank and HBO, and soon to be ESPN's along with Crawford. He has the network backing and the push, yet, nobody is answering the door. Welcome to the age of "pure businessmen" (the majority).

Lomachenko Praises Sosa, Slams Champions at 126, 130

Salido's now fighting Davis (Davis KO's him), Pac just lost controversially to a guy named Jeff Horn in Brisbane and Mikey Garcia just moved up to fight Broner (nobody was calling for this) when he said he'd stick around to meet Lomachenko after he called Mikey out and told him to stay put at 135. Mikey did say he'll move back down to fight Loma at 135 but it's a loss for the time being as the best option for them to close out the year. Options need to be there for a decent fight to be put together in the first place. Right now at 130 Loma currently has none and not too many at 135 either with Mikey temporarily at 140.

Last edited:
Back