Another Top Rank Disgrace! Lomachenko to face Marriaga on Aug. 5 (Ducks Rigo)

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you cannot defend this in any way, shape or form. I'm a huge Loma fan (or used to be), but the fact that he even signed off on this is embarrassing and downright disgraceful on every level. At the very least, if you couldn't get Rigo to fight you, you should have pulled out all the stops to try and get that Salido rematch. Now he's facing a guy who lost his last fight and is coming up from 126!

"When the financial requests were met suddenly there were other issues like a hand problem, which led to a weight problem, which led to Marriaga. Funny how that happens," Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said. "So we moved on to trying to secure the best possible opponent at the time, and Miguel Marriaga stepped up to the plate as did [previous Lomachenko opponents] Jason Sosa and Rocky Martinez in the past."

Now apparently, Salido turned down $720K, but the big issue for him was the date. Salido wanted to fight late August, Lomachenko and his team wanted the August 5th date.

Rigo said hed fight him at 130. Id like to hear the details on what then hang up was.

That was an outstanding matchup that we wont get now.

Let them fight in November or December

TR making Rigo pay dearly for ruining their English speaking Pacquiao

"So we moved on to trying to secure the best possible opponent at the time, and Miguel Marriaga stepped up to the plate"

What a joke! Rigo was hounding Top Rank and Lomachenko on twitter and Instagram asking for a fight even at 130.

I don't think Loma's team realizes what they've done with this move. They are so out of touch that they think that Loma is so beloved that fans just want to see him fight regardless of what bum he blows out, but that's not the case when better opponents are calling him out publicly and he goes out and fights these guys like Marriaga coming off a loss. They are going to ripped to shreds from fans, they're going to see their instagram pages flooded with cherries. It's going to be a very rude awakening because the fallout from this is going to be extreme. His career has been all good so far, and now he'll find out the other side of boxing and it wont be pretty.

"So we moved on to trying to secure the best possible opponent at the time, and Miguel Marriaga stepped up to the plate"

What a joke! Rigo was hounding Top Rank and Lomachenko on twitter and Instagram asking for a fight even at 130.

I don't think Loma's team realizes what they've done with this move. They are so out of touch that they think that Loma is so beloved that fans just want to see him fight regardless of what bum he blows out, but that's not the case when better opponents are calling him out publicly and he goes out and fights these guys like Marriaga coming off a loss. They are going to ripped to shreds from fans, they're going to see their instagram pages flooded with cherries. It's going to be a very rude awakening because the fallout from this is going to be extreme. His career has been all good so far, and now he'll find out the other side of boxing and it wont be pretty.
Got to be honest with you my dude, very few of us are going to give a shit that Loma didnt take Rigo.

Another bad sign for them is not securing that Salido fight. I mentioned this in the OP, but if Gervonta Davis gets his hands on Salido and blows him out, that's going to look so bad on Loma.

There are so many 'Ls' that just took place for Loma's career right now.

1. Not securing Salido fight, to avenge the one loss on his record.
2. If Gervonta Davis secures Salido fight and KOs Salido (Which is very likely) That'll look horrible on Loma and will steal some of his shine.
3. Not getting the Rigo fight, when he was pretty much pulling out all the stops to fight him.

Where are you getting all this from? Do you have a link?

Cuban, you're a bit of a drama queen, but I agree, this is a major let down. Marriaga?? Cmon now.

I have to be honest, I haven't been this heated about boxing in years. Ever since the HBO witch hunt from two weeks ago, doing their best to get him DQ'd. To being unable to land big fights, because fighters are ducking him and promotional companies are colluding to keep him out of the sport.

The Rigo story is the biggest tragedy in boxing.

It's hard to call it a duck without a lot more information, but Marriaga is not a suitable opponent for Lomachenko at this point. It does seem like both Arum and Klimas don't really want anything to do with Rigo.

Marriaga is a top-notch opponent... For Lee Selby or Scott Quigg.

He looked small to me versus Valdez. This is a fuckin' mismatch.

Weak. Lomachenko isn't 25 either. He's in the thick of his prime age wise and should be picking fights accordingly.

Rigo said hed fight him at 130. Id like to hear the details on what then hang up was.

That was an outstanding matchup that we wont get now.
This garbage fight was already in the works when they were calling out Rigondeaux. They were calling him out last week and this fight got announced today.

This garbage fight was already in the works when they were calling out Rigondeaux. They were calling him out last week and this fight got announced today.
Did not know that. That eases things a bit, but after seeing Lomas handlers say theyd take Rigo if it were at 130 is a little disappointing.

This needs to happen sooner than later because father time will catch up with Rigo in the near future.

Rigo has to do what winky wright did back in the day when everyone was ducking him...

Its only a matter of time before rigo will be impossible to ignore.

Back