another punch bag mounting thread...sorry

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Hudson1984, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Hudson1984

Hudson1984 White Belt

Hi all,

so i'm in the process of working out how to put a punch bag in my garage.

It started simple but has gotten a little out of hand so wanting some sage advice as to what's the best option.

So, my garage has a flat roof and rafters spanning the width (it's 3m wide)
    The roof isn't great and to be fair neither is the brickwork in the garage so I've ruled out putting a mount on the wall or for that matter the rafters - any vibration will hurt the roofing and I don't want leaks.

I have been looking at making a frame from Tubeclamp (scaffold tube) which is only supported by the floor, i.e. 2 uprights with 45 degree supports and a horizontal beam across with 2 diagonal supports to the uprights (a bit like a gymnasts frame)

This is one option, comes in at around £130 all in.

Another option is to have two uprights, then bolt on an I beam and purchase a crane trolley, this would mean I can easily move the bag out of the way when I want/need to rather than having to take it off as in option 1.

This option is around £250 all in.

I have however seen pro mountings rafter mounts with the in built shock absorbers etc. Look great...not available in the UK!

anyone have any other options or should I just get on with the Tube clamp frame and be done with it.

Just a big bit of kit to install and don't want to look back and go "what if" or for that matter "I wish i'd done this"

2. Woldog

Woldog Boxer

You might have been better off buying a prebuilt freestanding bag mount.

j-boxing likes this.