Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

As an update...

I thought I would call around and compare prices since there are probably 20-30 weapon stores in town. The online prices for the M&p 9 Compact were very different online, even when searching through local stores, but since each shop charges shipping differently they all come out to around $510. I also will need to pay $25 for a background check and I have to wait three days from the time the pistol arrives in their shop. I may have to continue saving for another week.

I don't understand why I can't fill out the background check info and pay the deposit on the same day; that way my waiting period would be over by the time the gun shipped, but I guess the shop has to physically hold the gun for 72 hours... oh well.

I also plan on paying $20 dollars for a 1 hour safety class. From what I understand and hopefully it will be like a private lesson on the basics of firearm safety and how to take care of my gun.

In the future it seems I may need to get snap caps and night sights, but I'm not too worried about that right now, the first thing I need to do is learn everything I can and get in as much practice as I can afford.

As an update...

I thought I would call around and compare prices since there are probably 20-30 weapon stores in town. The online prices for the M&p 9 Compact were very different online, even when searching through local stores, but since each shop charges shipping differently they all come out to around $510. I also will need to pay $25 for a background check and I have to wait three days from the time the pistol arrives in their shop. I may have to continue saving for another week.

I don't understand why I can't fill out the background check info and pay the deposit on the same day; that way my waiting period would be over by the time the gun shipped, but I guess the shop has to physically hold the gun for 72 hours... oh well.

I also plan on paying $20 dollars for a 1 hour safety class. From what I understand and hopefully it will be like a private lesson on the basics of firearm safety and how to take care of my gun.

In the future it seems I may need to get snap caps and night sights, but I'm not too worried about that right now, the first thing I need to do is learn everything I can and get in as much practice as I can afford.

The serial number on the gun is needed on the background check form, otherwise you could pay now and not have to wait.

Nevada has a waiting period? And you have to pay for a background check?

Nevada has a waiting period? And you have to pay for a background check?

+1

I've never been charged extra when buying a new gun from a dealer. In kansas... you walk into a gun shop... pick out the gun you want... fill out the background check form... the dealer calls BATFE for approval.. 5 mins (or less later) you are approved, hand the dealer your cash... and walk out with your new pistol/rifle.

TS, I have owned two M&Ps and they are fine pistols. S&W also has the best customer service in the industry IMO. Ruger and Glock are also quality manufacturers. As far as the best for you, you need to determine that.

Im sure this has ben discussed, but handle the guns you mentioned, and maybe a few others. If you are allowed to dry fire, then check the triggers too. Finally, rent the guns and shoot them to see which one you can shoot better with. For me, the M&P felt the best in my hand, and I could shoot it rather well.

Try not to pay too much attention to gun store employees or internet posters that bash certain brands. While there may be some relevance to what they are saying, normally it is greatly exaggerated. Gun snobs can be just as bad as MMA snobs. If you have a question about any brand, guntest.com is a pretty relaible and neutral source. Remember, buy what you like and fits you best, not what others tell you.

Be safe, and happy shooting...

Gun snobs can be just as bad as MMA snobs. If you have a question about any brand, guntest.com is a pretty relaible and neutral source. Remember, buy what you like and fits you best, not what others tell you.

Be safe, and happy shooting...

That domain is up for sale, nothing but advertisements...

I am sold on the m&p 9 compact, as soon as I see my check on friday I am going to start the purchasing process. I have also looked into getting mag extention base pads that will allow my compact to comfortably hold just as many rounds as a fullsize (17), although Arredondo doesn't look very pretty it seems to be efficient... I will need to so some more research on that though...

+1

I've never been charged extra when buying a new gun from a dealer. In kansas... you walk into a gun shop... pick out the gun you want... fill out the background check form... the dealer calls BATFE for approval.. 5 mins (or less later) you are approved, hand the dealer your cash... and walk out with your new pistol/rifle.

In CT, they just check on a computer and you are out the door a few minutes later.

So... another update.

My buddy who is a disabled veteran regularly goes to a nearby military base to buy things like furnature and groceries. My understanding is if you are a veteran buying from the base items are a little cheaper and you don't have to pay tax. We are going to head over there tomorrow to see if I can get the M&P. I'm assuming that he may need to buy it then transfer it to my name... I also am assuming that they will not allow me to carry a weapon while on the base, so maybe they will send to FFL holder. Regardless it would be $40-50 cheaper. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Otherwise I will buy online from a retailer with good reviews; either impactguns or buds. I originally thought buying locally would be a good idea, but since the gun is not in stock anywhere the local shop will be going through the same process regardless and marking up shipping. Ranging from $590-620 out the door. So... buying online seems pretty low-risk and from what I've heard of S&W customer service, any defect the gun may have will probably be repaired within 2 weeks. I feel pretty good.

So... another update.

My buddy who is a disabled veteran regularly goes to a nearby military base to buy things like furnature and groceries. My understanding is if you are a veteran buying from the base items are a little cheaper and you don't have to pay tax. We are going to head over there tomorrow to see if I can get the M&P. I'm assuming that he may need to buy it then transfer it to my name... I also am assuming that they will not allow me to carry a weapon while on the base, so maybe they will send to FFL holder. Regardless it would be $40-50 cheaper. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Otherwise I will buy online from a retailer with good reviews; either impactguns or buds. I originally thought buying locally would be a good idea, but since the gun is not in stock anywhere the local shop will be going through the same process regardless and marking up shipping. Ranging from $590-620 out the door. So... buying online seems pretty low-risk and from what I've heard of S&W customer service, any defect the gun may have will probably be repaired within 2 weeks. I feel pretty good.

Potentially, yes. It could be regarded as a straw purchase, and those are illegal. Practically speaking, there may not be much chance of any problem, but I don't know the details; you asked if there were any potential problems, and that's one I see. The $40-50 wouldn't be worth it, in my humble opinion.
That said, I have had a person buy a gun for me- once. It was when I first started buying guns, and I would have to wait 5 days instead of getting it approved right away. I had a buddy buy an AK for me at a gun show, and sell it to me for cost off-site later, as I didn't want to wait 5 days. After a couple of purchases and BG checks, I was getting approved right away, so I never did it again.

That might be considered a straw purchase. I would be real careful with using any kind of "he's buying it for me" language in a gun shop. Maybe have your friend call ahead and see if they will sell to civilians. Him buying it for you is definitely illegal, if he buys it and then later decides to sell or give it to you it's not illegal, just keep that in mind.

You shouldn't have any worries about buying online. I'm not sure what transfer fees are like your state but you may have to pay a higher transfer fee if you buy online than buy local, something to look up/consider.

Also, feel free to call me an idiot because this is probably a stupid question. :redface:

In the future if I wanted to get night sights, and the current model I've been looking into says 'fixed sights' does that mean I can't buy night sights and have them installed?

Also, feel free to call me an idiot because this is probably a stupid question. :redface:

In the future if I wanted to get night sights, and the current model I've been looking into says 'fixed sights' does that mean I can't buy night sights and have them installed?

You idiot!!

j/k!

Of course, sights can be swapped. Night sights are a common upgrade, and a worthy one. Fixed sights means as opposed to an adjustable target sight. Adjustables can be adjusted for elevation and windage, fixed are not.

Last edited:
As others have said, you're looking at a strawman purchase. Plus, I don't think they'll let you buy there since you don't have a military ID card. Just getting on base is a pain these days if you're a civilian.

You idiot!!

j/k!

Of course, sights can be swapped. Night sights are a common upgrade, and a worthy one. Fixed sights means as opposed to an adjustable target sight. Adjustables can be adjusted for elevation and windage, fixed are not.

Ok, thank you... Definitely a relief, I was thinking I might have to go through each model number and find one without fixed sights. The way you explain it I assume that there would be no reason for a compact pistol to even have adjustable sights.

Well I definitely saved myself a long trip to the base. I spoke to my buddy and he didn't consider the fact that they wont sell to a non-family member civilian (He usually goes with his family)... Also he can't purchase a gun himself because of something relating to PTSD. So the plan is to order online tomorrow. Hopefully by the beginning of next month I'll have pictures and video in this thread instead of stupid questions. Thanks for the responses everyone.

So... another update.

I have a gift for you:

Nevada Shooters

Well I definitely saved myself a long trip to the base. I spoke to my buddy and he didn't consider the fact that they wont sell to a non-family member civilian (He usually goes with his family)... Also he can't purchase a gun himself because of something relating to PTSD. So the plan is to order online tomorrow. Hopefully by the beginning of next month I'll have pictures and video in this thread instead of stupid questions. Thanks for the responses everyone.

No problem, anytime.

And the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :D

Good luck on the purchase, and don't forget to post pics!

Back