Another hard sparrring, feedback welcome as always

jonander50

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hello guys, so I had another hard sparring event.

Combination striking was highlighted by some users in a recently sparring video a week ago, and again I think thats one of the problems I still have, I need to drill some combos to have it ready in my arsenal.

Another thing to solve is that I dont follow the pressure, I throw and I retreat, I think is because a lack of cardio again, I felt I need to conserve energy. I improved my cardio and is a thing that i am doing, so thats nice.

Anyways, here's the video, there are three rounds, the first round is cropped for some seconds, the camera didnt get the begining.

round 1:

round 2:

round 3:

Last edited:
Hello guys, so I had another hard sparring event.

Combination striking was highlighted by some users in a recently sparring video a week ago, and again I think thats one of the problems I still have, I need to drill some combos to have it ready in my arsenal.

Another thing to solve is that I dont follow the pressure, I throw and I retreat, I think is because a lack of cardio again, I felt I need to conserve energy. I improved my cardio and is a thing that i am doing, so thats nice.

Anyways, here's the video, there are three rounds, the first round is cropped for some seconds, the camera didnt get the begining.

round 1:

round 2:

round 3:

You're in the black shirt?

Having combinations like 2nd nature takes time to do. When I first started I was the same way. It took me 2 camps to adjust and throw combos instinctively. Practice, drill, and drill. It'll come over time. When I was doing it, literally everything was combinations: offense, and defense. I think I mentioned it in the other thread, and it may seem strange, but you'd interrupt your opponent/partner's offense with a combination. Repeating that day in and day out bred out the single striking habit I was doing.

One problem with not pursing may be due to the way you may spar. If when you spar and get your partner on the ropes/wall, then you throw a combo or 2, feel satisfied and back off, it creates a habit to do the same in your fights. To be honest, it benefits your partner if you continue throwing heat, it'll teach them to quickly get out of the corner because in a fight the opponent is not going to back down, and worse strikes will come (outside knee, liver shots, etc).
This is fairly common at most gyms, it happened with me as well in the beginning, when our coach saw the issues pop up in our first exhibitions, we changed the style to what I just described. He said it was cringe worthy to him to see, because guys (us and others) would do well pressing and getting the opponent into the corner, then after a flurry, sort o step aside and the guy would get out with no resistance.

Do some clinch work as well, he was with your range quite a bit, if you knew how to you could tie up and work from there. He also did some damage in the 3rd. Basics with clinching will seem very counter intuitive esp. if you've gone wrestling/grappling before. You feel you're getting pulled, keep hips to hips (junk to junk) right away and try to keep your head up (posture). If there is space, you will get kneed (straight), and those are the ones that hurt. Then work, if you don't know how to pummel or clinch, this at the minimum will help.

Do some drills where your partner barrages on you as well. Turning away is something you need to get rid of. Try to do 1 thing only: block (stay firm and stationary -- think being a boulder) or move, not both.

Overall, you just need more time and lots of drilling, drill combos, drill the gameplan, and keep pressure when on your partner is in the corner. Make them work to get out. Try to keep them there as well. They move to your right: bodykick and keep them back. They move to your left: throw hooks, and them keep them there again. Then work.

How's your breathing? Are you exhaling while not breathing in at all? Talk to your coach about it, knowing how to pace and control your breathing is what prevents gassing out. In between rounds, slow your breathing down, don't hyperventilate. It will be very difficult, it will feel like a fight trying to slow it down, but about 40 seconds in, you'll thank yourself you did. You can get back about 70% of your tank back once you get the heart-rate down from slowing the breathing down. The break in between rounds is used to recover, not to chill and have a seat. If all you've been doing is hyperventilating while your opponent has been recovering, you've wasted 1min and he's now in a better spot than you are.

If you already know this, feel free to ignore it.

Cheers

You're in the black shirt?

Having combinations like 2nd nature takes time to do. When I first started I was the same way. It took me 2 camps to adjust and throw combos instinctively. Practice, drill, and drill. It'll come over time. When I was doing it, literally everything was combinations: offense, and defense. I think I mentioned it in the other thread, and it may seem strange, but you'd interrupt your opponent/partner's offense with a combination. Repeating that day in and day out bred out the single striking habit I was doing.

One problem with not pursing may be due to the way you may spar. If when you spar and get your partner on the ropes/wall, then you throw a combo or 2, feel satisfied and back off, it creates a habit to do the same in your fights. To be honest, it benefits your partner if you continue throwing heat, it'll teach them to quickly get out of the corner because in a fight the opponent is not going to back down, and worse strikes will come (outside knee, liver shots, etc).
This is fairly common at most gyms, it happened with me as well in the beginning, when our coach saw the issues pop up in our first exhibitions, we changed the style to what I just described. He said it was cringe worthy to him to see, because guys (us and others) would do well pressing and getting the opponent into the corner, then after a flurry, sort o step aside and the guy would get out with no resistance.

Do some clinch work as well, he was with your range quite a bit, if you knew how to you could tie up and work from there. He also did some damage in the 3rd. Basics with clinching will seem very counter intuitive esp. if you've gone wrestling/grappling before. You feel you're getting pulled, keep hips to hips (junk to junk) right away and try to keep your head up (posture). If there is space, you will get kneed (straight), and those are the ones that hurt. Then work, if you don't know how to pummel or clinch, this at the minimum will help.

Do some drills where your partner barrages on you as well. Turning away is something you need to get rid of. Try to do 1 thing only: block (stay firm and stationary -- think being a boulder) or move, not both.

Overall, you just need more time and lots of drilling, drill combos, drill the gameplan, and keep pressure when on your partner is in the corner. Make them work to get out. Try to keep them there as well. They move to your right: bodykick and keep them back. They move to your left: throw hooks, and them keep them there again. Then work.

How's your breathing? Are you exhaling while not breathing in at all? Talk to your coach about it, knowing how to pace and control your breathing is what prevents gassing out. In between rounds, slow your breathing down, don't hyperventilate. It will be very difficult, it will feel like a fight trying to slow it down, but about 40 seconds in, you'll thank yourself you did. You can get back about 70% of your tank back once you get the heart-rate down from slowing the breathing down. The break in between rounds is used to recover, not to chill and have a seat. If all you've been doing is hyperventilating while your opponent has been recovering, you've wasted 1min and he's now in a better spot than you are.

If you already know this, feel free to ignore it.

Cheers

You're right, from not too much ago I have been sparring too light. Now I spar like I fight, and I felt better results. I tend to spar only with the ones I think are at my level, and we throw knees too. We try to emulate our sparring as much as possible to the real fight, and I think it's better.

Thanks for your comment, very informative.

Nice sparring. Where did you get those knee pads?

The guy in the black looks like a lot more confident fighter and effectively use his range with leg kicks and front kicks. Guy in the red of just put his head down and barrelled in, in the hope of landing a couple of punches.

Either this video speed has been sped up or both you guys were on something

You're right, from not too much ago I have been sparring too light. Now I spar like I fight, and I felt better results. I tend to spar only with the ones I think are at my level, and we throw knees too. We try to emulate our sparring as much as possible to the real fight, and I think it's better.

Thanks for your comment, very informative.
It's definitely good to spar like that once in a while, but I wouldn't do it too often. The accumulation of brain damage is not worth it. Save the real damage for the fights. You're a tough guy, you know you can take it now.

I used to spar balls to the wall all the time, could always take a shot and keep going. Never worried about defence that much and as a result I am starting to notice that I get headaches easier and easier in sparring. The last few times I've sparred I have had slight concussions (well, I do spar hard) and it's really forced me to rethink my whole sparring strategy. I can still take good shots, but I am paying for it with insane headaches I never used to have. If I keep going without giving the brain rest, it'll not end well. It takes a long time, but don't be that guy who expires in the gym.

You should spar hard once a while, but don't spar like that several times a week. Your brain will thank you for it.

I think you are the better fighter even if he won the fight through agression and possibly having better cardio.

But you are a natural fighter imo.

Keep it up and you ll figure it out on your own.

Also be careful sparring that hard often. You are messing your head up.

Red has better hands, using more Western Boxing....esp. for countering...lots of jabbing out and circling. Black seems to be a Muay Thai purist, with mostly straight up blocking and returning....has size and reach advantage too, but losing due to Red's superior Boxing.

Back