Another Great Wrestler Coming To MMA

dsdoubled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So NCAA DI wrestler and Freestyle U-23 World Champion Richie Lewis has made it known he plans to enter MMA. He has been training with Frankie Edgar and Co for a while now and recently made the trip out to Sacramento to train with Team Alpha Male. He says he isn't quitting wrestling yet and may do both (like Deron Winn) but after 2020 will be 100% focused on MMA.

Both gyms are good, I wish he would stick at Edgar's gym (with Mark Henry and Almeida). Their camp seems to have better boxing/better chance of getting to the top.

Both gyms are good, I wish he would stick at Edgar's gym (with Mark Henry and Almeida). Their camp seems to have better boxing/better chance of getting to the top.
Yeah I agree. Plus, hes a native New Jersey guy too. And as a 70 kilo wrestler he will be training with guys about his size.

I get so friggin excited when a top quality wrestler declares their intention to enter MMA. We should make a running list and add to it when appropriate.

I'm not familiar with him, anyone know what weight he is approximately?

Awesome to see..

Frankie Edgar has spent a lot of time with Rutgers wrestlers over the years and is a friend of the program. He trained with a Anthony Ashnault as part of his prep for UFC 200

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...-Answer-UFC-Star-Frankie-Edgar-113920308/Amp/

Rutgers has a really underrated wrestling program.
Yeah I remember their S&C coach Martin Rooney was pretty prevalent in the MMA world too. I remember looking into Frankie's wrestling days and finding out he wrestled up a weight for the good of the team. This is probably why he never made All American. I think it was for fellow future MMAer Rad Martinez.

I'm not familiar with him, anyone know what weight he is approximately?
Hes a pretty interesting story. Never won a title in HS, JUCO, or DI but then kinda surprisingly made the U23 world team and took gold at worlds.

Back