ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Neflix sucking this kind of stuff up and not giving it a cinema release just make me more determined than ever not to sign up with them or Amazon.

Neflix sucking this kind of stuff up and not giving it a cinema release just make me more determined than ever not to sign up with them or Amazon.

Don't know what you're going on about but Netflix is great as I can watch it wherever and whenever I want, fuck going to the theater.

<DisgustingHHH>

Fuck internet critics. Especially the ones in Rotten tomato. Their scoring on TLJ and Black Panther proved that they aren't reliable. I'm waiting for the audience's score.

I must be the only person who thought Ex Machina asked me to believe too many things up front for me to buy into it

I’m so excited for this movie. Would love to see this in theaters but Netflix will work.

It is internationally. In March

I wonder why. Dumping it to Netflix made sense for Cloverfield Paradox, since it actually kind of sucks.

But that doesn't seem to be the case for this film.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why. Dumping it to Netflix made since for Cloverfield Paradox, since it actually kind of sucks.

But that doesn't seem to be the case for this film.
It didn’t jive with test audiences. Essentially the movie was too smart, and after seeing what happened with other high IQ science fiction recently, I think they decided that Netflix would better help recoup the 40 million dollar budget.
Of course, if it ends up doing really well they could kick themselves, but it seems like they were too uncertain.

Hey, let's send 5 women in for an apparent military objective.

After super advanced and technological nation of Wakanda, a highly trained military unit of women does not surprise me one bit. SJW at its finest

Even TV series are getting SJWed. Anyone seen Godless lol? Men died in mine explosion in a town so the town is now ran by women. Hollywood is erasing white men at any opportunity.

It didn’t jive with test audiences. Essentially the movie was too smart, and after seeing what happened with other high IQ science fiction recently, I think they decided that Netflix would better help recoup the 40 million dollar budget.
Of course, if it ends up doing really well they could kick themselves, but it seems like they were too uncertain.

I wonder why they would make that decision for Europe but move forward with a theatrical release in the US.

I don't know if "dumping" is the right word... Netflix has been bidding traditional studios for the rights to movies for a while and trying the simultaneous release thing as well.

Personally this is the kind of movie I'd rather watch at home, but I will be seeing it regardless.

Going to try to check both this and Game Night out this weekend. Was pretty surprised but enthused to see the positive response to the latter as well.

I don't know if "dumping" is the right word... Netflix has been bidding traditional studios for the rights to movies for a while and trying the simultaneous release thing as well.

Personally this is the kind of movie I'd rather watch at home, but I will be seeing it regardless.
They sold it to Netflix not even a month before it’s release because of how it scored with audiences. Dumping still isn’t the right word, but it strikes me as a bit of scramble to save some money.

Just realized this thread was first created in Oct 2014.

The fuck? News about this movie has been coming out for over three years?

Yea I just now noticed that. Watching the trailer has me worried this is an all female cast movie with a thinly veiled message to stop climate change and save Earth. I'm hoping that isn't the case.

They sold it to Netflix not even a month before it’s release because of how it scored with audiences. Dumping still isn’t the right word, but it strikes me as a bit of scramble to save some money.
It seems from the trailers that they had a problem trying to market this movie. Is it really an Alien/Thing mashup? Or is that what they threw at the brainstorming whiteboard that stuck?

IMO after Ex Machina you'd think the studio would have a little faith.

Yea you can resist but Netflix is here to stay. It got too big too fast and now its a monster. I'm the same way with companies like Google. You couldn't pay me money to use Google.

Back