ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I thought it had its moments, the mutant bear was creepy.
The ending was not very good, and what happened to Raddick (valkyrie from Thor). She just wanders off and turns into a plant?

Yeah, she had plants growing out of the scars on her forearms as she was walking away

I think it was like a child playing with an insect, unaware that the insect is being damaged.

It was the best representation of something "other" that I've ever seen on screen.

under%2Bthe%2Bskin.gif

We know it's bad for us.

Ebola just wants to live but, you know, fuck Ebola.

It behaved very similarly to the Engineer's black goo weapon. only it behaved like a higher, albeit primitive, life form.

The shimmer was expanding and the characters expected it to consume Earth. Does that count?

But was it taking it over, or was it doing what it does naturally?
Was this a remnant from the origins of life, or a weapon from the Engineers?

But was it taking it over, or was it doing what it does naturally?
Was this a remnant from the origins of life, or a weapon from the Engineers?

I dunno, but that distinction didn't really matter to earthlings.

Oh, interesting. I heard it wasn't that good, but have been meaning to watch it. It's a contender for best "other", you say...

I liked it but would never, ever recommend it.

The film is like a bad morphine trip.

Not sure I'd consider it a contender, I think many films have creatively expressed something other than human.

Arrival%2B-%2BLanguage.gif

I liked it but would never, ever recommend it.

The film is like a bad morphine trip.

Not sure I'd consider it a contender, I think many films have creatively expressed something other than human.

Arrival%2B-%2BLanguage.gif
This movie was awesome.

Does anyone have any idea on why the shimmer destroys itself?

I didn't really understand why her copy started to not copy her

Because everyone who entered the shimmer died.

Maybe evil wasn't the right word. Dangerous might have been more accurate.

But the thing is the alien wasn't even really an alien and just a copy of Portmans character. Eventually it would've fully evolved into Natalie Portman. As we see towards the end of the lighthouse scene

Dangerous maybe but def not evil. Here's the thing, nature is dangerous in general so I don't think the shimmer is any more dangerous than being alone on the African plains or in a rainforest jungle.

But the thing is the alien wasn't even really an alien and just a copy of Portmans character. Eventually it would've fully evolved into Natalie Portman. As we see towards the end of the lighthouse scene

Dangerous maybe but def not evil. Here's the thing, nature is dangerous in general so I don't think the shimmer is any more dangerous than being alone on the African plains or in a rainforest jungle.

The shimmer reminded me of Jumanji

Right? Its just the jungle from Jumanji

I think it was a dangerous situation for her, like when she was pressed against the door, but I was really feeling afraid because of how alien it was and the unknown potential for danger.

I think it was like a child playing with an insect, unaware that the insect is being damaged.

It was the best representation of something "other" that I've ever seen on screen.

The copy had no idea what it was doing. Imo it was learning and I guess with that learning comes a bit of danger

Back