Anime and Manga v39

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JBSchroeds, Dec 1, 2017.

1. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Gold Belt

Hinamatsuri - too fucking funny.
    Golden Kamuy - kinda meh but the wife loves itm

OvaryHugger likes this.
  2. OvaryHugger

OvaryHugger Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

Thanks, queued up Hinamatsuri. Will watch after shokugeki no soma. Few episodes of that left.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  3. Lavitz

Lavitz Gust of Wind Dance

Just caught up with FLCL progressive. Started out a little weak but each episode gets better.

Still not on the level of season 1. Can’t wait to see how the rest goes.

4. doomrider7

doomrider7 YROO XRKSVI! GIRZMTOV!

Golden Kamui and Wotakoi are solid. Also, new chapter of One Piece is out and I already love things. That fucking random ass octopus is my new favorite character.

Edit: I second Hinamatsuri. Posted a while back, but a good upcoming anime for the Fall Season that I'm looking forward too is Reincarnated into a Slime which is getting 26 episodes.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  5. doomrider7

I'm really debating where paying homage and ripping off begin and end. Like I can say this one as homage, but if he's basically also using the same plot points damn near piece for piece then yeah that's BS.

heavyarms21 likes this.
  6. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

This happened because he wrote the first two volumes of the manga for a shounen magazine before it was discontinued. After that, it was picked up by a seinen magazine and re-titled as "Trigun-Maximum"

The manga is far better in my opinion because it fleshes out the entire story and characters more ( more wolfwood story, for example). Also, the transition from goofy to serious happens a little more smoothly, but it was a different "feel" for sure once he started writing for the seinen magazine. The goofy, yet serious, protagonist seems to be a staple in anime, though, so I never thought much of it.

It's unfortunate that the manga didn't get as much attention as the anime did because the manga is top tier in my opinion, especially after the first two shounen volumes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    offshore33 and Gregolian like this.
  7. Takun

Takun Normal :)

I'm so disappointed in Ippo now...I suspect he'll return to the ring at some point but if this manga somehow ends and Ippo never wins the world title or at least faces Ricardo, then it just feels totally pointless.

8. Lavitz

We got about another 1200 chapters at this rate.

We finally got this scene. The stand battles for this part are going to be amazing.

[​IMG]

Emporio Alnino likes this.
  9. GSP4tw

GSP4tw Black Belt

Really Oda, really? How are you gonna jump back to Luffy and the crew on the Sunny already? We just spent what felt like an eternity focusing on them and we got 3(?) chapters away from them.

10. Lavitz

Not much happened this chapter. Art was on point though. Lol Nami is all legs. Arc should be Zoro heavy so don’t worry.

11. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

when is the last time the whole crew has been together? They split up right after the Punk Hazard arc when they went into Dressrosa arc. Maybe Luffy is going to get caught by Kaido's crew and not be shown until the end of the arc.

12. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

Not so fun fact before we saw Zero in the chapter before last it had been over 800 days...

13. doomrider7

Found some Raws and finished reading Stravaganza. Incredibly good art as usual of anything printed by Enterbrain similar in style to stuff like Otoyomegatari, Gisella Alain, and Ran to Haiiro no Sekai. The story was really good, but...I dunno how to explain it. Like when things happened they felt...Rushed? Like it was on deadline if that makes any sense. It's only 6 volumes long and I'd definitely like your guys's input on it*.

*By which I mean I found another manga for you to peruse and rate JBS.

14. Lavitz

What finished series do you guys miss?

HSDK and Toriko for me.

Would be cool to get a couple chapters as Kenichi as a master in a spin off.

Toriko was great and the space exploration would have been interesting. But alas.

Lol Naruto and Bleach. Despite being mediocre they did get some more traffic in here. The Big 3 were truly a force for discussion.

doomrider7 and heavyarms21 like this.
  15. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

I miss HSDK the most mostly because it ends open ended with room for more stories. Like you said I would like to see Master Class Kenichi

k1ngjester, milliniar and SidJustice like this.
  16. SidJustice

SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

HSDK by far. That super fast ending (tons of manga seemed to end that way for awhile). I loved that damn manga, right up until the end.

heavyarms21 likes this.
  17. doomrider7

Need to pick up and finish HSDK again, but yeah that one. Same for Oh My Goddess simply because as others have said, it was such a constant that you'd think it would run forever. As for the rushed feeling endings, I think it's due to the authors not quite having planned things that far and hitting the ground running. There have been some new manga that have kind of picked up the slack left by Naruto and Bleach such as Seven Deadly Sins, Kitetsu no Yaiba, Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End, but they haven't even touched the levels of popularity.

Note: I left out Promised Neverland since that's very different than the above mentioned.

heavyarms21 and milliniar like this.
  18. GSP4tw

GSP4tw Black Belt

It was more that the the One Piece fans would discuss the chapter a lot more back then. Bleach would get a couple posts complaining about it and Naruto would get a few posts. But what's slowed down the threads has been the One Piece fans not having a page+ of discussion every week.

heavyarms21, milliniar and JBSchroeds like this.
  19. JBSchroeds

JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

I actually do miss Naruto. Or at least, I miss good Naruto. Even decent Naruto. When that series was on its game it was a damn good shonen. It's really a tragedy what happened to it by the end. Good god, those last dozen or so chapters were such a clusterfuck.

I would also say The Breaker, but supposedly that'll be coming back for more.

Oh, here's a more old-school choice: Slam Dunk. While it ended in a satisfactory way, it could have easily been continued and there was still room for interesting stories.

salamander, heavyarms21 and milliniar like this.
  20. Lavitz

Yep, ending was really going by fast. Favorite fight was Sakaki vs Hongo. Favorite Grand Master was Akisame. From Yami, Diego. The series was pretty fast paced and easy to marathon.

And of course the best character in the story by far was mysterious teenager Garyu-X
    [​IMG]

There was a lot going on. Too many plot points and characters. But that literally happens to 90% of battle manga that are ending. It’s kinda hard for me to pinpoint the story at it’s peak. Pre skip stuff was awesome.

I glanced over Boruto but just doesn’t have the same charm as early Naruto. I guess many in here did enjoy when Naruto was on point. Kishi would sometimes draw moments of greatness.