Anime and Manga v33

JBSchroeds

99 problems, and they're all turtles!
@Silver
Reaction score
This is the Anime and Manga thread, up to version 33. This is a place to give reviews, look for suggestions, and discuss whatever you may be watching/reading.

If you are new to these threads, then welcome. We've been a fixture of the Mayberry for over two years now. There are a bunch of well informed regular posters, and people are more than willing to give suggestions. The one thing to keep in mind: there have been over 32,000 posts in these threads talking about well over a thousand different titles. It would be impossible to list everything in this OP, so I've decided to a list the works that are among the most often recommended. Please feel free to bring up anything you'd like, but remember, just because it isn't in the OP doesn't mean nobody else likes your favorites.

Popular Suggestions
Anime
Akira
Aria
Azumanga Daioh
Baccano
Casshern Sins
Claymore
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Evangelion
Fate/Zero
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the first series is quite a bit different and was done before the manga was finished)
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Ghost in the Shell
Gintama
Golden Boy
Initial D
Last Exile
Legend of Galactic Heroes
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th MS Team
Monster
Ninja Scroll (Movie is better than the TV series)
Nodame Cantabile
Outlaw Star
Planetes
Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
Samurai Champloo
Spice and Wolf
Space Brothers
Trigun
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the original is a classic, but shows its age)
And just about anything by Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc

Manga
20th Century Boys
Again!!
All Rounder Meguru
Berserk
Break Blade
The Breaker
Crows, Worst
Dorohedoro
Gantz
GTO
Hajime no Ippo
Historie
Histories Strongest Disciple Kennichi (HSDK)
Holyland
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru (KSKM)
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
Mushishi
One Piece
Pluto
REAL
Rookies
Slam Dunk
Tough
Tower of God
Until Death Do Us Part
Vagabond
Vinland Saga
Yotsubato!

Streaming Video (Hulu/Crunchyroll/etc)
Many good shows are available through video services such as Hulu and Crunchyroll (Netflix used to be a good source for anime, but they've dropped most of their library in the last year or so). The following are links to some of the better series available. If you have anything you think should be added, mention them or PM me, and I'll add them to the list (please include the URL).

News and Information
There are quite a few good sites to get news and information about anime/manga. Here are some of the most useful:
Anime News Network - Also referred to as "ANN", this site has lots of headlines, season previews, video releases, and other such info
Baka-Updates Manga - This site is an excellent resource for looking up information on manga. It has author info, series ratings, and release info on scanlation progress.
My Anime List - A useful resource that allows you to track what you've watched and give a score or review.
Anime Database - Good research tool for finding series, with searches by genre, production studio and more. Also lists fansub groups who may be working on a title.

Compilation of Anime Database Rankings
ANN
MyAnimelist
Anime-Planet
AniDB
Hummingbird

Old Threads:

Last edited:
Uh... First?
watching akame ga kill now.

Tokyo ghoul and this are my two top shows this season.

So, I heard anime is dead again.

But a 25 minute OVA is ready to save it. The next Akira.

Anime better not die. It will be sad if that happens.

lol JBS got mad lazy with that OP.

He ninja edited it.

JBS senpai y u do dis.

Why is there no more hstd Manga.
I miss that delicious art.. :'(

The final couple of posts in the last thread cracked me up, regarding the anime industry thing and UTD being a savior.

Last GITS: Arise OVA just released today. They should definitely make more...They should just make a series again.

^

Can you watch the OVA's without having complete knowledge of the series?

GITS: Arise was such a huge disappointment :icon_conf. I think someone described it perfectly. "It's Ghost In The Shell for teenagers".

Watered down dialogue cheesy writing, and over the top action scenes.

^

Can you watch the OVA's without having complete knowledge of the series?

It's supposed to be an origin reboot, kind of like a serious cyberpunk version of the Avengers where the Section 9 team comes together. I've watched every GITS show in the franchise so I might be biased in my answer but I think you should be okay, just some of the references to Masamune Shirow's world aren't explained to someone new to the series.

Ghost: human "soul"/consciousness that defines the difference between a machine and a human with a cyborg body. A lot of the different plots involve people's minds getting "hacked" and mind controlled.

GITS: Arise was such a huge disappointment :icon_conf. I think someone described it perfectly. "It's Ghost In The Shell for teenagers".

Watered down dialogue cheesy writing, and over the top action scenes.

It's not as good as SAC imo. But I give them kind of a pass because I don't consider the OVA's as part of the same continuity.

It's supposed to be an origin reboot, kind of like a serious cyberpunk version of the Avengers where the Section 9 team comes together. I've watched every GITS show in the franchise so I might be biased in my answer but I think you should be okay, just some of the references to Masamune Shirow's world aren't explained to someone new to the series.

Ghost: human "soul"/consciousness that defines the difference between a machine and a human with a cyborg body. A lot of the different plots involve people's minds getting "hacked" and mind controlled.

I've watched the movies and the first season, but I'm more eager watching a short OVA then watching the 2. season right now.

I've watched the movies and the first season, but I'm more eager watching a short OVA then watching the 2. season right now.

I think the OVA's are the most mainstream and easiest to digest stories in the franchise.

Edit: There's really no connection to the other works in terms of story.

Something about this picture is so goofy.
heavenandhell.jpg

The greatest moment of Zoro losing his way occurs at about the 2:40 mark in this:

The top 100 anime according to Japanese readers in 2001:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2001-01-15/animage-top-100-anime-listing

1. Hakujaden (Tale of the White Serpant), Movie, 1958.
2. Tetsuwan Atom, TV, 1963
3. Horus, Prince of the Sun, Movie, 1968
4. Kumo to Tulip, Movie, 1943.
8. Ashita no Joe, TV, 1970
9. Lupin III, TV, 1971.
10. Gatchaman, TV, 1972.
11. Mazinger Z, TV, 1972.
13. Space Battleship Yamato, TV, 1974.
19. Space Battleship Yamato, Movie, 1978.
20. Future Boy Conan, TV, 1978
22. Aim for the Ace!, TV, 1979.
23. Akage no Anne, TV, 1979.
24. Mobile Suit Gundam, TV, 1979.
25. The Ideon: Be Invoked, Movie, 1982
27. Armored Trooper Votoms, TV, 1983
28. Galaxy Express 999, Movie, 1979
29. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, Movie, 1979
30. Urusei Yatsura, TV, 1981
31. SDF Macross, TV, 1982
35. Daicon films, 1983
38. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, Movie, 1984