Angles/Side Steps

Jrohm24

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Just started boxing about 4 weeks ago (few years of Muay Thai experience), I’ve been wanting to really get better at getting good angles on guys and being where they aren’t, circling around them (Loma style would be a convenient way to put if), so I was shadowboxing earlier at home trying it and felt so awkward and off when I tried it. Like I was jumping more than getting around with good footwork. I know video would help maybe I’ll post one tomorrow at the gym, but for now anyone got any go to tips/advice?

Just started boxing about 4 weeks ago (few years of Muay Thai experience), I’ve been wanting to really get better at getting good angles on guys and being where they aren’t, circling around them (Loma style would be a convenient way to put if), so I was shadowboxing earlier at home trying it and felt so awkward and off when I tried it. Like I was jumping more than getting around with good footwork. I know video would help maybe I’ll post one tomorrow at the gym, but for now anyone got any go to tips/advice?
some good drills for basic mobility.
make a square: basically have square area and travel around it eiterway sidestepping, when you come to a corner pivot. Switch up which way you are going.
hop steps forward and back.
footwork rounds: a round just working footwork try to switch up directions. make use of pivots and hop steps.
simple drills that will increase your basic ability to be mobile in any direction you want/need. simple is best as well if you feel awkward moving than going ack to the basics and slowly reworking the motions repeatedly will go along way to rewiring your body's reactions especially when under stress.

edit: most boxing gyms will have you doing exercises like these but the volume and importance varies depending on the trainer. When i went Tocco's Sinister had me and another guy doing 3-4 rounds of each exercise as well as smoother footwork basic drills he utilizes

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tile-exercise-for-boxing.2255705/

You are going to have to learn to not just do the drills/exercises, but to do them efficiently or they won't be much good.

To make them efficient, you will have to learn to do them correctly (in the first place), which you aren't going to do without face-to-face instruction and guidance from a technical trainer or other boxer watching you and correcting you as you do your drills.

Pay them-- they'll do it (all trainers and boxers like money)

Last edited:
You are going to have to learn to not just do the drills/exercises, but to do them efficiently or they won't be much good.

To make them efficient, you will have to learn to do them correctly (in the first place), which you aren't going to do without face-to-face instruction and guidance from a technical trainer or other boxer watching you and correcting you as you do your drills.

Pay them-- they'll do it (all trainers and boxers like money)

Not all Boxers, Tyson gave his away faster than he could make it..........:rolleyes:

If only Tyson had invested wisely, in cheap fried chicken shops. The catch phrase could have been, "More tender than your face after 10 rounds with Tyson".

Then he'd get sued by the existing Tyson chicken company

<seedat>Good thing he didn't

Back