Angela Lee vs Rena Kubota

I don't know; One brought Mei over from Deep Jewels and Gina Iniong over from Pacific Xtreme Combat. Hopefully they'll eventually bring over Rena over from Rizin, Seo Hee Ham from Road, Ayaka Hamasaki from Invicta and Weili Zhang from Kunlun. They seem to have the deep pockets.
ONE wants exclusive contracts and RENA won't leave Shoot Boxing, only reason she is in MMA is because of RIZIN. ROAD wouldn't let Ham go to ONE either, besides I don't think Ham wants to fight at Strawweight again. I would be surprised if ONE offers Weili more money than Kunlun. Hamasaki is dead set on getting to the UFC, it's the whole reason she moved back up to Strawweight.

Those are different from DEEP JEWELS which pays so little and let's fighters leave all the time and PXC which wants to be a feeder org and I think they might have gone under.

and you expect her at just 19 y.o. to run through that woman with ton of experience and destroy her in 1 round, right? if Rena ever stops fighting carefully handpicked opponents and faces somebody even close to Mei Yamaguchi's level i will be shocked.
Handpicked? She's fought a bunch of grapplers when she's pretty much a novice grappler herself. Whoever she faces in the GP finals will be comparable to anyone Angela has faced, she has been built up at a reasonable speed.

Speaking of handpicked opponents, Angela keeps fighting people from a division below her.

Handpicked? She's fought a bunch of grapplers when she's pretty much a novice grappler herself. Whoever she faces in the GP finals will be comparable to anyone Angela has faced, she has been built up at a reasonable speed.
come on she defeated someone with freakin flying armbar in her debut, haven't you seen? that's no way novice.
decorated Hungarian bjj practitioner Dora Perjes isn't exactly "a bunch".

Comments like "they will never get to fight" does annoy me. There's no way you can know, and they might very well be fighting outside of One or Rizin in the future, like going to UFC or so. There's no way you can know, and it may be very well possible.

I don't know; One brought Mei over from Deep Jewels and Gina Iniong over from Pacific Xtreme Combat. Hopefully they'll eventually bring over Rena over from Rizin, Seo Hee Ham from Road, Ayaka Hamasaki from Invicta and Weili Zhang from Kunlun. They seem to have the deep pockets.

Deep Jewels pays crap, that's how they lured Mei over. Rena is contracted to Shootboxing, and only fights mma because of Shootboxing's affiliation with Rizin. Ham is the Road FC champ and number one in her division. Also, both are a weight class below Angela. Angela looks drained weighing in at 115. Hamasaki is set on getting to the UFC. Zhang is not likely leaving Kunlun for ONE, if she already passed on the UFC's offer.

If you actually look at each fighter's situation, it's clear to see this is a pointless discussion.

come on she defeated someone with freakin flying armbar in her debut, haven't you seen? that's no way novice.
decorated Hungarian bjj practitioner Dora Perjes isn't exactly "a bunch".
She only began seriously training grappling about 2 years ago. Knowing a flashy move doesn't make her not a novice, it just means she trained that one technique. She has shown talent in grappling but that's more to her natural ability and great team she has around her, she has still shown grappling vulnerability though. Perjes had her in a dangerous spot and Nguyen had her back, threatening with a choke for a bit.

Nguyen, Perjes, and Miyuu are all grappling based with Miyuu being one of the greatest female freestyle wrestlers ever. She's also fighting a grappler next in Irene Cabello and may have another grappler on her hands if her and Asakura both advance to the Grand Prix finals.

She only began seriously training grappling about 2 years ago. Knowing a flashy move doesn't make her not a novice, it just means she trained that one technique. She has shown talent in grappling but that's more to her natural ability and great team she has around her, she has still shown grappling vulnerability though. Perjes had her in a dangerous spot and Nguyen had her back, threatening with a choke for a bit.

Nguyen, Perjes, and Miyuu are all grappling based with Miyuu being one of the greatest female freestyle wrestlers ever. She's also fighting a grappler next in Irene Cabello and may have another grappler on her hands if her and Asakura both advance to the Grand Prix finals.
if 2 is not enough, how many years of serious grappling trainings with a great team do you need to not be considered as novice then?

being world class amateur wrestler doesn't make you a grappler - all of Mrs. Yamamoto losses were by way of subs. i haven't seen all her fights, but judging by her record Andy Nguyen isn't a grappling based either, more like a well-rounded fighter.

Last edited:
Actually a fascinating match up. Angela is much bigger but less experienced. Saw Rena's fight against that Hungarian lady. If she got into some of the positions with Lee, she would be in a really bad spot. However, considering how Lee was being punched by Yamaguchi, Rena could more than put her in trouble standing.

Would watch and hope Asian MMA can unite. There's no point in keeping to each other's small regions. Creating a large mega promotion makes more sense.

I've been training BJJ for 10 years, and armbars are my money technique. I have never hit a flying armbar in my life. It's extremely difficult to do.

But yes, I'm sure she's completely neglected all aspects of fundamental BJJ, and has just learned one esoteric technique.

I've been training BJJ for 10 years, and armbars are my money technique. I have never hit a flying armbar in my life. It's extremely difficult to do.

But yes, I'm sure she's completely neglected all aspects of fundamental BJJ, and has just learned one esoteric technique.

When she debuted for Rizin they dug up old footage of her learning an armbar from Rumina Sato, while a few months before she was getting tooled up on a web series sparring with the tiny rookie Vice website editor that Fujii trained. Standing subs are allowed in shootboxing, so yeah it's not all that weird she learned how to do that before she could pass a guard.

She's basically a Ukrainian grappler, who is in the process of learning proper wrestling/bjj now. I think she's gonna have real problems with Asakura, if Asakura gets through that Brazilian.

Last edited:
Deep Jewels pays crap, that's how they lured Mei over. Rena is contracted to Shootboxing, and only fights mma because of Shootboxing's affiliation with Rizin. Ham is the Road FC champ and number one in her division. Also, both are a weight class below Angela. Angela looks drained weighing in at 115. Hamasaki is set on getting to the UFC. Zhang is not likely leaving Kunlun for ONE, if she already passed on the UFC's offer.

Lol you know that isn't true, don't about nonsense. Under the new rules Angela weighs in at 115 and has to be adequately hydrated (and yes I know rules can be bent) There are also no public weigh ins under the new rules...so none of us know how she looks.

Under the old (normal MMA) weigh in rules she also fought at 115 but weighed in at 113.5 looking like this:
IMG_8777e-web.jpg

She's a small 115lbs, she couldn't fight at 115lbs in ONE if she wasn't (since the new rules).

while a few months before she was getting tooled up on a web series sparring with the tiny rookie Vice website editor that Fujii trained.

That was a cool series, too bad the model chick dropped out halfway through.

Comments like "they will never get to fight" does annoy me. There's no way you can know, and they might very well be fighting outside of One or Rizin in the future, like going to UFC or so. There's no way you can know, and it may be very well possible.

A lot of the people in ONE and RIZIN (which include their big muckity-mucks like Angela and RENA) don't consider the organizations to be low-level feeders that they're just biding their time in until they can make it to the UFC, though.
Besides that, most of the time fighters get to the point where they realize what a phantom chase trying to prove that "I'm the best fighter in the world" is and that making good business decisions is more important than throwing everything away to try to reach that goal. So they don't really want to fight in the UFC unless the UFC meets that demand (that is, they give a better contract than what they're currently getting.)
Bibiano Fernandes is like that. ONE's paying him better than anywhere else in the world is and I think he has like 6 kids, and he's said outright that that's paramount now, so he's staying there (and ONE has a cushy executive job waiting for him after he's retired.)

It's not like the best atomweights in the world are in the UFC anyways, and unless the UFC plans a deep Asian expansion (which history has shown they're not), they're not gonna be outbidding RIZIN and ONE for Angela and RENA's services. They're also locked into exclusive contracts, and those aren't things that can just be broken-- if they were, Mark Hunt would be out of the UFC right now.

None of those other people are really big enough draws in Southeast-Asia to wanna give 'em lucrative contracts, though. The big reason ONE and RIZIN have had success is cuz' they know what their audience wants. Southeast-Asians want people who live in Southeast-Asia-- they could give a fuck about anyone else (there's a reason they started out with guys like Arlovski, and Manhoef, and Sylvia, and Baroni, and have shifted entirely towards Aung La N Sang, and Ev Ting, and Kevin Belingon, and Stefer Rahardian)-- and the Japanese want cute Japanese girls and fighters (ideally Japanese) that show that Yamato-damashii spirit, along with some theatricality.
Unless there's some good ancillary reason (and you'll be hard-pressed to find that with women's fighters), they're not really willing to go out of their way to sign anyone who doesn't fit those criteria. That money could be better spent elsewhere.

If there was gonna be a fight between them, there'd have to be some cross-promotional thing going on where both companies would make good money from it, and I don't think the numbers are there to justify it.

As if One hasn't been carefully grooming Angela Lee with handpicked opponents themselves. Take Yamaguchi out of the equation and their level of competition is comparable.

That cute Brazilian lesbian Istela Nunes she fought was a Muay Thai world champion and coming off a victory over Mei Yamaguchi, so I think that stacks her up with V.V a far as competition-level goes.

Rena tko her,Lee can't stand with her or has the wrestling too keep her grounded.

So did you guys find that a good match? I know right, I am good at doing fights!!

eseseses681 said:
A lot of the people in ONE and RIZIN (which include their big muckity-mucks like Angela and RENA) don't consider the organizations to be low-level feeders
Don't attack the strawman, please. I have never said those organizations are low level or anything like this, and if you had read my other posts regarding the ONE FC you'd see I consider it a pretty high caliber organization and think everyone should think this as well.
eseseses681" said:
So they don't really want to fight in the UFC unless the UFC meets that demand (that is, they give a better contract than what they're currently getting.)
Oh, really? I didn't know you were so close to Rena Kubota and Angela Lee to know what they might be thinking...

Did they ever say that they aren't going to another organization, like UFC? That they'll stay there in their respective organizations because choosing otherwise wouldn't be wise? If so, show me this interview, please. Or at least show me that you are so close to them that you know what they ought to be thinking.

Might not mean much, but Angela Lee at least seemed pretty excited with the prospect of fighting with a UFC straweight (?) champion, and seemed kind of annoyed at people saying she wasn't competing at a high enough level. If anything it shows he has a good deal of pride and is confident enough that her skills can give a very tough match to the UFC fighter.

They get a lot of money there, nobody is denying that, but there's no way you can be sure that they don't wish to spread this fame worldwide and earn the admiration of people all over the World... Angela Lee at least has at least shown he is pretty self-confident and has a lot of pride, to which fighting in the UFC to prove her might against those so called "best in the World" might very well run through her head.

Notice that I am saying "might", I am not someone pretending to be so close to them that I'd show certaintity to what they'd do in the future. Is it possible that they might never face each other? Sure, of course... but there's no way you can set such thing down as a dogma.

eseseses681 said:
It's not like the best atomweights in the world are in the UFC anyways, and unless the UFC
Attacking the Strawman, again. I have never said nor implied that.

leto1776 said:
If you actually look at each fighter's situation, it's clear to see this is a pointless discussion.
And... you are still missing the point. This is a HYPOTHETICAL battle, as are a lot of battles in this forum. I am not forced to create a fight that IS BOUND to happen. Otherwise, too many topics here would be worthless since those fights aren't likely to occur. No.

BTW, I think it's still possible they might agree in holding a tournament in which those three organizations (UFC< ONE FC and RIZING) will be participating and then, of course, its fighters as well. That'd be like a dream, and I think it's very possible... a crossover Tournament, in which fighters like Rose Namajunas, Angela Lee, Rena Kubota would be facing each other!!

Of course they won't fight outside their home organizations like that Rin Nakai girl who has NEVER (EVER) fought outside of Pancrase...

if 2 is not enough, how many years of serious grappling trainings with a great team do you need to not be considered as novice then?

being world class amateur wrestler doesn't make you a grappler - all of Mrs. Yamamoto losses were by way of subs. i haven't seen all her fights, but judging by her record Andy Nguyen isn't a grappling based either, more like a well-rounded fighter.
<Huh2>

Lol you know that isn't true, don't about nonsense. Under the new rules Angela weighs in at 115 and has to be adequately hydrated (and yes I know rules can be bent) There are also no public weigh ins under the new rules...so none of us know how she looks.

Under the old (normal MMA) weigh in rules she also fought at 115 but weighed in at 113.5 looking like this:
IMG_8777e-web.jpg

She's a small 115lbs, she couldn't fight at 115lbs in ONE if she wasn't (since the new rules).

angela-vs-jenny-1200x800.jpg

This was a day before weigh-ins, and she's looking pretty dehydrated here. None of the usual roundness in her face.

The lack transparency in the new weigh-ins only make them more suspect, not less.

Of course they won't fight outside their home organizations like that Rin Nakai girl who has NEVER (EVER) fought outside of Pancrase...

Rin left Pancrase completely to fight in UFC, and signed with them again when she was cut by UFC. When she fought in Rizin, she was on loan from Pancrase.

Rin left Pancrase completely to fight in UFC, and signed with them again when she was cut by UFC. When she fought in Rizin, she was on loan from Pancrase.

That's my point. Saying this match will never happen is ridiculous because fighters aren't beholden to one company for their entire career and both of those girls looks like potential draws in key expansion markets so of course the likes of the UFC, Bellator etc. will make approaches for them eventually.

Back