ANGELA LEE REMATCH NOV.24th vs. mei...

dissufc

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
MMA: Angela Lee set for mei yamaguchi rematch in Singapore

The 21-year-old champion will defend her strap against the Japanese veteran who she first defeated to win the One Championship women’s atomweight title a year ago.

04 Sep 2017 05:30PM (04 Sep 2017 06:46PM)

SINGAPORE: Rising mixed martial arts (MMA) star Angela Lee is slated to fight Mei Yamaguchi again in a replay of their historic clash a year ago, said One Championship on Monday (Sep 4).

The MMA promotion’s supremo Chatri Sityodtong announced on Facebook that reigning One women’s atomweight (52.2kg) champion Lee (eight wins, no losses) will defend her title against Japanese veteran Yamaguchi (16 wins, 10 losses) on Nov 24 at Singapore’s Indoor Stadium.

He said they had both “agreed to what will arguably be the most anticipated rematch in the history of martial arts in Asia”.

Lee, 21, was crowned the youngest champion of a major MMA organisation in May last year when she edged 34-year-old Yamaguchi by decision in a five-round thriller also held in Singapore.

Canadian-American by nationality, but with a rabid following in Asia owing in part to her Singaporean-Korean parentage, Lee has successfully seen off two title challenges since, her most recent being another signature submission victory earlier this year over Brazilian striker Istela Nunes.

"I've evolved so much since my last fight with Mei," she said. "In our first fight, I was 19 years old, fighting for a world title and the nerves got the best of me. I didn't perform to the best of my abilities."

"Since that fight, I've defended my belt twice. I've continued to sharpen my skills and I've gained the confidence that comes with being the champion."

Yamaguchi, who remains the only fighter to go the distance with Lee, followed her loss by dropping a close decision to Nunes before bouncing back with a win over Taiwan’s Jenny Huang - who also fought for the belt previously.

“I'm going to revenge Angela Lee on Nov 24 (sic),” the Japanese fighter posted on Facebook shortly after the announcement.

Said Lee: "On Nov 24, you will see another spectacular display of heart, tenacity and technique - only this time, it won't go to a five-round decision."

better than ronda by a mile

am gonna laugh is she retires at 24 undefeated and rich and become a famous actor or something

They already ran out of opponents for her at "atomweight."

better than ronda by a mile

am gonna laugh is she retires at 24 undefeated and rich and become a famous actor or something

Nah, she wants to fight JJ and dominate every chick in her weight category.

He said they had both “agreed to what will arguably be the most anticipated rematch in the history of martial arts in Asia”.

{<jordan}
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

i can't even take any part of one fc seriously, anymore. what a horrendously disappointing org.

They already ran out of opponents for her at "atomweight."

Considering how razor-close the first fight was and that Mei just beat a better version of the girl that Angela defended her title against quicker than she did (and did it on the ground, where Angela was afraid to go with Jenny), it's really silly to act like this's a bad fight.
I also dislike how you only criticize the new ONE weigh-in system divisional titles with women's atomweight. I don't think I've ever seen you sarcastically call Eduard Folayang a "lightweight" or Ev Ting a "featherweight".

Considering how razor-close the first fight was and that Mei just beat a better version of the girl that Angela defended her title against quicker than she did (and did it on the ground, where Angela was afraid to go with Jenny), it's really silly to act like this's a bad fight.
I also dislike how you only criticize the new ONE weigh-in system divisional titles with women's atomweight. I don't think I've ever seen you sarcastically call Eduard Folayang a "lightweight" or Ev Ting a "featherweight".
Angela wasn't afraid to go to the ground with Jenny, as she finished her there. She simply had a smaller opponent with even worse striking than her own and decided to show off her own.

Anyway, Mei is 1-2 in her last three. and it's only been a year since the first fight. Hardly the conditions for a rematch. Yes, they ran out of opponents for Angela.

As for the goofiness of renaming al of their weight classes? I've railed on that many times in the past. Only difference is the others aren't fight people from a weight class below and being hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I was hoping Gina Iniong would be Lee's next opponent. She beat Mei in the PXC before Lee fought her.

Angela wasn't afraid to go to the ground with Jenny, as she finished her there. She simply had a smaller opponent with even worse striking than her own and decided to show off her own.

Anyway, Mei is 1-2 in her last three. and it's only been a year since the first fight. Hardly the conditions for a rematch. Yes, they ran out of opponents for Angela.

As for the goofiness of renaming al of their weight classes? I've railed on that many times in the past. Only difference is the others aren't fight people from a weight class below and being hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Both of Mei's losses were extremely close; you're really not being fair to just discredit that and the fact that the forums were flooded with "Mei Yamaguchi got robbed" comments after both of those fights. And it'll have been a year-and-a-half. That's a fine amount of time for a rematch.
Mei also went to the ground with Jenny from the beginning, while Angela didn't wanna try it until she'd been outstriking her badly for 12 minutes. Attacking someone where they're strongest straight out and beating them there is a testament.
Also, really? "Even worse striking than her own"? That's heavily implying that Angela has bad striking, which is ridiculous, cuz' her striking is very good. What was so bad about her striking?

And why are the renaming of the weight classes silly? I've yet to see a good argument for that beyond "everyone else has it one way, so they should too." Next to no fighter enters the cage at 145 pounds for a featherweight fight, so putting so much emphasis on that is ridiculous, it's like an open secret that the fighters enter the cage anywhere from 10-20 pounds above the prescribed weight-limit, and people have been wondering "what to do about dehydration?" for years, and ONE found a solution.
Jinh Yu Frey has said herself she dehydrates from 115 to make 105. I really don't see how Angela and Istela Nunes (who's the same size as Angela) and the like being given a dehydration test and weighing in at 115 is somehow different.

Last edited:
Both of Mei's losses were extremely close; you're really not being fair to just discredit that and the fact that the forums were flooded with "Mei Yamaguchi got robbed" comments after both of those fights. And it'll have been a year-and-a-half. That's a fine amount of time for a rematch.
Mei also went to the ground with Jenny from the beginning, while Angela didn't wanna try it until she'd been outstriking her badly for 12 minutes. Attacking someone where they're strongest straight out and beating them there is a testament.
Also, really? "Even worse striking than her own"? That's heavily implying that Angela has bad striking, which is ridiculous, cuz' her striking is very good. What was so bad about her striking?

And why are the renaming of the weight classes silly? I've yet to see a good argument for that beyond "everyone else has it one way, so they should too." Next to no fighter enters the cage at 145 pounds for a featherweight fight, so putting so much emphasis on that is ridiculous, it's like an open secret that the fighters enter the cage anywhere from 10-20 pounds above the prescribed weight-limit, and people have been wondering "what to do about dehydration?" for years, and ONE found a solution.
Jinh Yu Frey has said herself she dehydrates from 115 to make 105. I really don't see how Angela and Istela Nunes (who's the same size as Angela) and the like being given a dehydration test and weighing in at 115 is somehow different.

Have you actually watched Angela's striking? It's better than Jenny Huang, but that's really not saying much at all. Angela also said the before the fight that she wanted to show off her striking. It had nothing to do with avoiding the ground game. She finally found an opponent with striking worse than hers, and wanted to "prove" to the doubters that she could strike.

As for the weight classes, when everyone else in the sport is moving towards universality, why move away? just to be different? Just so the champions can keep the "same title?" That's just silly.

As for the red, I think you're being willfully ignorant there. One, a piss test for dehydration is ridiculously weak. Not hard to pass at all. Two, You can look at Angela and most of her opponents, and see that she's being given much smaller opponents.

Have you actually watched Angela's striking? It's better than Jenny Huang, but that's really not saying much at all. Angela also said the before the fight that she wanted to show off her striking. It had nothing to do with avoiding the ground game. She finally found an opponent with striking worse than hers, and wanted to "prove" to the doubters that she could strike.

As for the weight classes, when everyone else in the sport is moving towards universality, why move away? just to be different? Just so the champions can keep the "same title?" That's just silly.

As for the red, I think you're being willfully ignorant there. One, a piss test for dehydration is ridiculously weak. Not hard to pass at all. Two, You can look at Angela and most of her opponents, and see that she's being given much smaller opponents.

Dude, actually break down her striking skills and explain to me why her striking skills are bad. You implied she has bad striking, and all you said to prove your point was "Jenny Huang's worse than her." Facing a different opponent doesn't make your understanding of distance any better or make the form with which you throw jabs and front kicks cleaner.
And, if I got this right, you're basically admitting your aversion to ONE's new weight-class system is because you want everything to be the same. But you're calling their system silly? Not wanting to have to strip their champions of the titles they earned (which would be horrible PR and would make the champions-- a lot of them their top stars-- hate the organization) is way more understandable than that.
And you completely dodged what I said with your red highlight (and used a baseless accusation while doing it): how is Jinh's 115 cage-weight any different from Istela Nunes or Angela Lee's? You just said "pfft, the dehydration test is bullshit and easy to pass, maaan", even though Ben Askren, a lifelong weight-cutter who knows all the tricks of the trade, said he can't figure out a way around it. And you said that Angela's been given opponents who look smaller than her. You know... like Istela Nunes.

Angela-Lee-Istela-Nunes-size.png

And Mei Yamaguchi (the fact that Mei's a big atomweight isn't something that gets brought up in these discussions...)

mma.women_-696x464.jpg

Angela really had a size advantage on them...

You still haven't given a reasonable justification for why you denigrate ONE's system so much. Unless "I just don't like ONE and I like attacking them for any- and every reason, no matter how illogical-- ROAD FC FTW!" is reasonable.

Back