anecdotal experience with shoulder surgery?

Armchair Ninja

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
My son today had arthroscopic surgery on his shoulder. He has dislocated it twice amusingly enough while swimming. Never had a problem rolling for probably 18-20 months. It sucks because he has been a slow learner in his bjj and was starting to make good progress. His surgeon said probably 6 to 9month recovery before any kind of hard working out again.
My request would be if anyone here has suffered from this and how they did upon returning. My wife is trying to write off ever returning to jj but I hope that's not the case.

What was his injury? My sister had surgery for a torn labrum (probably what your son has?). It was at least six to nine months before she returned to heavy activity, and more like twelve before she wasn't actively protecting it while rolling. That was six years ago and it still bothers her every so often.

Last edited:
Surgeon said the labrum was torn most of the bottom half circumference. Some bone wear from apparent movement back and forth over some time. This was the second occurrence. Removed a bone chip. "Tightened" the joint ligaments which was the primary goal until he saw the other damage. We couldn't do mri which world have shown more pre-op. We could only do ct which shows less detail. Sounds at least in part like your sister's surgery. Eventually though she returned to more or less normal activity?

Eventually though she returned to more or less normal activity?

95%+ functionality, albeit with intermittent discomfort and buildup of a "loose" feeling in the joint if she isn't religious in continuing her rehabilitation. After a surgery like that, preventive rehabilitation should be something your son continues forever.

I will thanks. Just good to know it's not an automatic end to his training.

How old is he?

Jeez dude if he's not done growing and you're encouraging him to sustain potentially life long injury to a vital complex joint is NOT cool!

U gotta wait till musculature and skeletal structure is mostly developed before repairing it and even still you're putting him at risk of early arthritis!

Damn man u r playing with fire!

Im 42 and had 3 rotator cuff surgeries 13-15 years ago. Yea it still hurts if i get a good kimura or americana put on me but it doesnt really hinder me from doing any BJJ

I have a torn labrum. For about a year now. I still roll. Ain't nobody got time for that money racket/voodoo witch craft called surgery. Yes it hurts but WTF you gonna do.

How old is he?

Jeez dude if he's not done growing and you're encouraging him to sustain potentially life long injury to a vital complex joint is NOT cool!

U gotta wait till musculature and skeletal structure is mostly developed before repairing it and even still you're putting him at risk of early arthritis!

Damn man u r playing with fire!
No I dont mean to sound like I'm pushing him back in next week or something.. I know it will be cclose to a year or more before he can even think about it. Its just something he has stuck with and liked and hopefully can return to eventually without major risk involved.Again he never has injured himself rolling. just swimming.
edit: he's 17 by the way

repost from another thread-
I had ac joint repair, rotator cuff repair and torn labrum (all done at same time).

The rehab sucks, but put in the time. Even on the stupid little exercises. I was very anal about following my therapists orders.

Mine was done in October. I did NOTHING but rehab until January. Nothing. Hardly went to the gym so I wasn't tempted.

In January, I did some very light drilling, mostly top game movement (no posting).

In February, I did some light rolling with selected partners. No noobs, no white belts, no one I didn't trust 100%

By March I was going fairly good, and started rolling with everyone. Anyone started to go for shoulder locks I tapped. I got stuck on my side in an uncomfortable position - tap and reset. Have to check your ego.

By April i was back to full go, approximately 6 months after surgery. Almost 3 years later I'm training 3 times per week and have no issues what-soever.

TLDR- do your rehab. Take your time. Start out slow. Tap if anything hurts or starts to hurt. Profit.

Back