Andy Souwer lost on KO yesterday

Prime Souwer was a waaaaaaay different beast

Ozcan is good and fast but a Prime souwer would beat him up

Prime souwer who had wins of the best 70kg division on kickboxing history over guys like Sato,Kraus,Masato,Zambidis,Kyshenko

Tbh even in Souwer's prime Tayfun Ozcan could have KO'd him.
Ozcan is a beast and imo near the best Dutch kickboxing has to offer at the moment.
No. Prime Souwer was a force. People forget...

Prime Souwer was a waaaaaaay different beast

Ozcan is good and fast but a Prime souwer would beat him up

Prime souwer who had wins of the best 70kg division on kickboxing history over guys like Sato,Kraus,Masato,Zambidis,Kyshenko
Don't forget Buakaw... kinda...

Don't forget Buakaw... kinda...
i would never forget bud

the problem is that Souwer never beat him(maybe in 2005 you can give the fight for him because it was a clinchfest and neither of them were scoring well) but no way he defeated Buakaw in 2009,saying it as a fan of both.

Ozcan got sent to the shadow realm by Wu Xuesong, he'd get pieced up by prime Souwer.

i would never forget bud

the problem is that Souwer never beat him(maybe in 2005 you can give the fight for him because it was a clinchfest and neither of them were scoring well) but no way he defeated Buakaw in 2009,saying it as a fan of both.

I'm a big Souwer fan but even I can make that argument about a lot of Souwer fights. His style has always been more point focused rather than damage which is also what made him so exciting because of his pace... no way could he generate that much force with each shot following so quickly.

Him losing is natural progression. He is becoming what Kozo Takeda was in his younger days.

I'm a big Souwer fan but even I can make that argument about a lot of Souwer fights. His style has always been more point focused rather than damage which is also what made him so exciting because of his pace... no way could he generate that much force with each shot following so quickly.

Him losing is natural progression. He is becoming what Kozo Takeda was in his younger days.
His style is high paced and busy but I wouldn't say he didn't focus on power and wasn't a finisher. In fact he had a lot of gameplans that put guys into positions to be finished using combos and ring generalship to land finishing shots.

Buakaw is way famous than other Max champions outside Japan even back in his prime.
He really did capture the imagination of the fans even the non-hardcore.
I remember reading the news a decade ago that either Federer/Nadal went straight to watch fight after practice.
Dude was on the cover of National Geographic, there isn’t a kick or Thai boxer alive that has gotten anywhere near Buakaw’s level of exposure.

His style is high paced and busy but I wouldn't say he didn't focus on power and wasn't a finisher. In fact he had a lot of gameplans that put guys into positions to be finished using combos and ring generalship to land finishing shots.

Earlier in his career yes but not recently. since around 2015-ish even after the quality of his opponents dipped, a lot more decisions and mixed results.

although I admit I didn't check how his peers are doing (Buakaw, Kraus etc).

Still my fave kickfighter of all time tho... always felt his best weapon was his fight IQ

"by KO"
or
"via KO"
not
"on KO"

/grammar nazi

Earlier in his career yes but not recently. since around 2015-ish even after the quality of his opponents dipped, a lot more decisions and mixed results.

although I admit I didn't check how his peers are doing (Buakaw, Kraus etc).

Still my fave kickfighter of all time tho... always felt his best weapon was his fight IQ
He's certainly fallen from his peak so speed power reflexes all of that stuff has dropped off. Same can be said for the other guys from that era, with Buakaw seeming to hold up the best from the bunch.

I got to attend an Andy Souwer seminar like 4 years ago he is a very smart fighter and has a lot of subtle game plans that you wouldn't even notice as a viewer. Things like forcing an opponent that is cornered to escape a certain direction so that you can land a big shot as they cut out and things of that nature. Real nice dude too.

I disagree. Souwer's style may not have appeared like that of a typical one-punch knockout artist; he was a combo machine, but his strikes were deceptively powerful. You can see that in his fight with Kozo Takeda, for example, where he knocked him out cold with one punch in the middle of a combination.

It's just rare to see a fighter generate power in such a short distance in quick succession; the eyes usually associate powerful strikes with having more wind up and individual. But it is not necessarily the case. There's technique behind it, the alignment of one's center of gravity. A boxer like Corrie Sanders was a similar kind of anomaly. Genetics play a factor in that, but Souwer's technique was truly superb; his blending of hand and leg strikes are probably the best I've ever seen. He could throw one after the other so fluid and seamlessly. The way he KOed Zambidis, throwing a quick jab while simulataneously coming over the guard with his leg, using his hand to mask the head kick... was genius.

I was a bigger fan of Buakaw back in the MAX days, but I've grown to appreciate Souwer's style a lot more. Both of them could whip out quick combinations, but I'd argue that Souwer's strikes carried more power between the two (their KO ratios would attest to that). As Buakaw adapted to the K-1 ruleset, he also changed up his stance from the squared, traditional Muay Thai stance, to one that was more angled, which appeared to have granted him more power; he started knocking down and finishing almost all his opponents for a while. But I think injuries also held Buakaw back from striking to his full potential, not wanting to throw too hard to exacerbate them, and relying more on his hands.

Last edited:
His timing and iq was what made him great. Also being a sore loser and hating losing. Real competitor that guy. That gago drago ko was awesome.

Back