Andy Souwer lost on KO yesterday

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Yesterday Andy Souwer lost against Tayfun ozcan by KO in round 4, how would this fight go if Souwer was in his prime and Ozcan in his prime?

You forgot to mention that Andy got KO'd... by a guy in black spats and with an overhand right counter over a jab.

Talk about the man in the mirror

Surprised there isnt more discussion on this. You do not see that everyday Souwer was done too no doubt

He is old

Same age as Buakaw. Interesting how their popularities are so vastly different given their similar accolades, both being K-1 MAX veterans and 2x champions. Souwer arguably has the more exciting style between the two, but I guess looks ultimately do make all the difference.

Same age as Buakaw. Interesting how their popularities are so vastly different given their similar accolades, both being K-1 MAX veterans and 2x champions. Souwer arguably has the more exciting style between the two, but I guess looks ultimately do make all the difference.
Imagine if Masato get KO'd.

This forum will have a meltdown

Buakaw is highly accomplished in two rulesets and has a lot more longevity than Souwer, so it makes sense. Buakaw is also in movies which can only help.

Imagine if Masato get KO'd.

This forum will have a meltdown
Considering he hasn't fought in nearly a decade, this forum would have a meltdown if he took a fight.

Andy has been kind of under the radar fighting in random KB promotions and taking MMA matches at the same time. He's still very skilled and dangerous but he fell out of his prime when K-1 was still around.

This fight in 2016 got some hype:

Buakaw is highly accomplished in two rulesets and has a lot more longevity than Souwer, so it makes sense. Buakaw is also in movies which can only help.

So is Souwer; he was a multiple time Shootboxing champion. Buakaw was plagued with injuries for many years, and worked around it by just controlling and neutralizing his opponents for the most part; which wasn't the most exciting thing to watch, yet his popularity did not appear to waver with casuals in spite of that.

Skill-wise you could argue many other fighters being on Buakaw's level or better. But what sets him apart, and appears to be mainly responsible for his success on a global scale, is his physique/relatively good looks.

Considering he hasn't fought in nearly a decade, this forum would have a meltdown if he took a fight.

Masato fought exhibition matches against Kid Yamamoto and Gomi for New Years Eve events. He definitely looked rusty; Gomi was landing pretty easily IIRC.

Buakaw may be the most famous Thai in the world. Andy Souwer isn't even the most famous Dutch guy in K1.

As a blueprint technique-wise, I prefer Souwer way way more than Buakaw.

Buakaw is way famous than other Max champions outside Japan even back in his prime.
He really did capture the imagination of the fans even the non-hardcore.
I remember reading the news a decade ago that either Federer/Nadal went straight to watch fight after practice.

Buakaw is way famous than other Max champions outside Japan even back in his prime.
He really did capture the imagination of the fans even the non-hardcore.
I remember reading the news a decade ago that either Federer/Nadal went straight to watch fight after practice.
He alone got me into Muay Thai and Kickboxing. He just has all of the attributes of a star. Glad he's able to cash in on it after ditching Por Pramuk, and still appears to be fighting at a high level.

Masato fought exhibition matches against Kid Yamamoto and Gomi for New Years Eve events. He definitely looked rusty; Gomi was landing pretty easily IIRC.
Fully aware, and fully don't care just like everyone else because "exhibition"...

Bound to happen. He has high mileage. When he fought petrosyan it was obvious he was declining already.

Still, he is a legendary fighter and someone a newbie(or even experienced) striker should watch and learn from.

Yeah it's pretty upsetting anytime a legend gets KO'd with a shot he's been known to tag a few guys with.

Tbh even in Souwer's prime Tayfun Ozcan could have KO'd him.
Ozcan is a beast and imo near the best Dutch kickboxing has to offer at the moment.

Tbh even in Souwer's prime Tayfun Ozcan could have KO'd him.
Ozcan is a beast and imo near the best Dutch kickboxing has to offer at the moment.
Everything is possible, Souwer is a beast but Ozcan is the real deal at this moment

He is alright but not elite. Petchaiyo Banchamek beat him up pretty bad in enfusion. Prime Souwer would have picked him apart.

Back