Andre Ward Obviously Hasn't Retired

He's D-O-N-E, Done. If he really had the itch to fight, he would unify with Stevenson. But his trainer came out recently and said that the reason they didn't fight Stevenson was because the money wasn't there. He also said that moving up to CW to fight Bellew was too risky, and the risk outweighed the reward.

So this thread is about Ward pretending to retire so he can take PEDs without being tested and bulk up so he can come back and fight some more?

That is the most obvious and ridiculous fighter bashing I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Decided its best to bow out with good health.
Yeah, and the guy isn't going to get in the ring with a 6'6" monster with no weight limit. People are talking shit about fighters a few lbs apart not fighting and think ward can have a few protein shakes and outbox the heavyweight champ? Yeah he isn't lineal yet but settle down guys, it's absurd to think he's walking into the gym one day and going leeroy Jenkins after Joshua.

Unifying with Stevenson would be a much easier way to get that recognition.

Is that really true, that Ward takes a setback on pay if the promoter doesn't take a huge loss? What do you guys think?

I wish thd fight could happen, but sounds like Ward is retired for the right reasons.
I would have love to see Ward vs Stevenson for sure...Rocnation I don't think they are in boxing anymore, they loose a shitload of money with Ward and Cotto. I think Ward stays retired no way he gets paid what this guys paid him

He's D-O-N-E, Done. If he really had the itch to fight, he would unify with Stevenson. But his trainer came out recently and said that the reason they didn't fight Stevenson was because the money wasn't there. He also said that moving up to CW to fight Bellew was too risky, and the risk outweighed the reward.
Jumping straight to Cruiserweight is a very tough pursuit, but if done for longer than a year, he'd be able to put on the weight in a more efficient way.

Does Ward want to fight Bellew looking like Marquez against Mayweather, or will he prefer to fight Bellew looking like Marquez against Pacquiao 4?

Unifying with Stevenson would be a much easier way to get that recognition.
Stevenson wouldn't have fought him in my opinion.
Stevenson's promoter said he doesn't fight out of Canada and that 'the money isn't there'. There would just have been excuse upon excuse for the ageing Stevenson, who isn't as good as Kovalev was anyway. I don't think Ward would be bothered for that noise.

So this thread is about Ward pretending to retire so he can take PEDs without being tested and bulk up so he can come back and fight some more?

That is the most obvious and ridiculous fighter bashing I've ever had the displeasure of reading.
I'm a massive fan of Andre Ward. Jumping to 200lbs is no easy feat and I personally believe many have taken PED's to make the jump, or to jump from the traditional Cruiser (190) to HW, so this is nothing new.

Stevenson wouldn't have fought him in my opinion.
Stevenson's promoter said he doesn't fight out of Canada and that 'the money isn't there'. There would just have been excuse upon excuse for the ageing Stevenson, who isn't as good as Kovalev was anyway. I don't think Ward would be bothered for that noise.

All very true, I just remember him itching for unification a little after Crawford.

i honestly think we waits to see what happens with ggg, he clearly was waiting to see the result of that fight, retired that week cause he wont fight ggg coming off a draw (ggg won, but it is what it is)

i can see ward coming back for one more fight, not a run, he's talked about that fight in the past, he can easily fight at 168 again, so i wont be shocked if in a year, after ggg beats the piss out of canelo again, that fight is announced

i honestly think we waits to see what happens with ggg, he clearly was waiting to see the result of that fight, retired that week cause he wont fight ggg coming off a draw (ggg won, but it is what it is)

i can see ward coming back for one more fight, not a run, he's talked about that fight in the past, he can easily fight at 168 again, so i wont be shocked if in a year, after ggg beats the piss out of canelo again, that fight is announced

Nah man Ward doesn't want to risk more injuries regardless of how winnable any particular fight might be. He almost retired several times in the past and finally has a boatload of money to do it on his own terms. He can make a damn good living off the boxing analysis and commentary while having 5 to 10 million tucked away under a mattress somewhere and a little wooden box where he keeps Kovalev's soul. He made it to the #1 pound for pound spot and went out on quite possible the highest note any professional fighter has gone out on in 20 years.

He won all his biggest fights because he was too smart for his opponents but his biggest victory by far was over boxing itself. Getting to be considered the best fighter in the sport without sacrificing his entire brain or body and leaving the ring with both of those intact and a piggy bank much larger than any reasonable man could need is fucking amazing in this sport. It almost never happens. Only modern era guys who pulled it off are him and Floyd and Calzaghe. Go out on top and stay out on top. I love boxing but fuck this sport for what it does to all my heroes.

Nah man Ward doesn't want to risk more injuries regardless of how winnable any particular fight might be. He almost retired several times in the past and finally has a boatload of money to do it on his own terms. He can make a damn good living off the boxing analysis and commentary while having 5 to 10 million tucked away under a mattress somewhere and a little wooden box where he keeps Kovalev's soul. He made it to the #1 pound for pound spot and went out on quite possible the highest note any professional fighter has gone out on in 20 years.

He won all his biggest fights because he was too smart for his opponents but his biggest victory by far was over boxing itself. Getting to be considered the best fighter in the sport without sacrificing his entire brain or body and leaving the ring with both of those intact and a piggy bank much larger than any reasonable man could need is fucking amazing in this sport. It almost never happens. Only modern era guys who pulled it off are him and Floyd and Calzaghe. Go out on top and stay out on top. I love boxing but fuck this sport for what it does to all my heroes.

yeah like i said man thats the ONLY fight he would come back for, i don't see him going up in weight

he was talking about retirement in 2014 so yeah he's definitely not making another run through any division, but one last fight, i can see that

if he stays in retirement or goes out on top from now on i won't be surprised

Only modern era guys who pulled it off are him and Floyd and Calzaghe. Go out on top and stay out on top. I love boxing but fuck this sport for what it does to all my heroes.

Great post but you forgot Ottke...:eek:

Though he will never be on any p4p list nor should he be I would say Maidana also beat boxing by fighting his way into huge money fights regardless of how limited his skill set was and always putting on the best show he could. Plus he went out early and at the top of his game unlike almost everyone else.

Now he just goes to live fights, enjoys time with his family, drinks beer and apparently eats the same dinosaurs Fred Flintstone did. Good for you Maidana!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back