Andre Berto wants to join the UFC

I didn't know that about his family members being in MMA but I still think it's too late for him to start.

They'd just give him unwinnable matchups to humiliate him in all likelihood anyway. I doubt it will happen though.

They'd just give him unwinnable matchups to humiliate him in all likelihood anyway. I doubt it will happen though.

I see Dana taking this on.
I don't know how well versed Berto is in grappling and such, but this will probably end bad for him.
Which is exactly why Dana would do it.

Also I can't see him making more money there so this is an odd choice.

I don't know about that. I think with Toney Dana was so sick of him hassling that he gave him Couture for the lols, but really, getting boxers crossing over would be in their best interests I would say.

I think every MMA fan would like to see a boxer take on an MMA fighter who was willing to stand with them. Why not give him Cerrone or something? He doesn't give a shit, he'd stand and trade.

I don't know about that. I think with Toney Dana was so sick of him hassling that he gave him Couture for the lols, but really, getting boxers crossing over would be in their best interests I would say.

I think every MMA fan would like to see a boxer take on an MMA fighter who was willing to stand with them. Why not give him Cerrone or something? He doesn't give a shit, he'd stand and trade.

A lot of MMA fans and the promoters themselves are very insecure about their position in relation to boxing. The fans even chanted "UFC UFC UFC!" in that Toney vs. Couture matchup. Dana White said he'd never take Tim Sylvia back after his loss to Ray Mercer, for example. Berto having success gives credence to all the folk who hate MMA who say dumb stuff like "yeah but I bet Joshua could KO them all" etc etc. For Berto to have any shot he'd need to build himself up from the grassroots level like Holly Holm did when she entered MMA. If you just popped him in there with Cerrone, Cerrone might stand for a bit but he'd almost certainly take him down eventually because the guy wants to win fights. Even Mark Hunt took down the boxer Yosuke Nishijima several times in their fight, despite having a huge weight advantage and winning most of the standup.

smart. mma has been the dumping ground for washed up boxers to make a few more paydays for a while now.

Dude already seems like hes punch drunk.

Stay yo ass retired homeboy. For your own good

Has anyone else said "They're welcome to him", yet?

I'm pretty sure I saw his brother fight in Strikeforce a while ago? But yeah- Berto has taken MORE than enough trauma for a lifetime. Stay retired man.

A lot of MMA fans and the promoters themselves are very insecure about their position in relation to boxing. The fans even chanted "UFC UFC UFC!" in that Toney vs. Couture matchup. Dana White said he'd never take Tim Sylvia back after his loss to Ray Mercer, for example. Berto having success gives credence to all the folk who hate MMA who say dumb stuff like "yeah but I bet Joshua could KO them all" etc etc. For Berto to have any shot he'd need to build himself up from the grassroots level like Holly Holm did when she entered MMA. If you just popped him in there with Cerrone, Cerrone might stand for a bit but he'd almost certainly take him down eventually because the guy wants to win fights. Even Mark Hunt took down the boxer Yosuke Nishijima several times in their fight, despite having a huge weight advantage and winning most of the standup.

Dana White says shit and then goes back on it all the time, he said at one point they'd never have women fighting in the UFC for instance. But Dana is smart and knows that if he did give Berto a shot it would get some more boxing eyeballs over to the cage, so I'd think he'd at least entertain it.

Agreed that any MMA striker would eventually go the TD, if he could get someone who agreed to stand it would be ideal but that's dangerously close to fight fixing. I think Kimbo had some sort of deal with Elite XC where the fighters he took on wouldn't take it to ground, then Seth Petruzelli knocked him out ha ha

On the general topic it's a shame we can't yet see a boxer in their prime come over to the UFC. They would still be up against it but would be great if say a Joshua made the switch, did a year or two of grappling and then fought, dude would be hard to beat especially being a HW.

NB: "A year or two" of grappling won't make a Demian Maia of course, hopefully just enough to get out of bad spots.

I'm pretty sure I saw his brother fight in Strikeforce a while ago? But yeah- Berto has taken MORE than enough trauma for a lifetime. Stay retired man.
Yes, his brother used to fight for elite xc when shown on showtime

Are you seriously discussing berto vs anyone? If he wants to lose sure, do it.

Yes, his brother used to fight for elite xc when shown on showtime
ah- yes! thanks. Pretty sure I saw him fight in San Jose, live. Saw quite a few events there- the Shark Tank.

I'm not sure he has the style to transition. If he were smart he'd take at least a year to train and debut against a winnable fringe contender.

They signed cm fkin punk..... So if they don't sign Andre Berto, then fuck the UFC.

Back