Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort - one of the best striking match ups of all time

I remember there was so much tension in this fight. Neither fighter wanted to risk attacking with big combinations and then Anderson just shut Vitor out with one strike followed up by some strikes on the ground and that was it. Masterful.

There was alot of tension, but watching it live, it felt like Anderson was doing his calculation stuff like usual while Vitor was getting impatient wanting to knock Silva out. Then when Vitor paused at what he thought was a safe distance he got front kicked and history was made.

I'd love to see this fight again, but Silva made the fight so epic that he could only do worse now. There is no topping a front kick KO.

Watching it live it was intense as fuck for the 3 mins it lasted!

Yeah it probably still is to date, I'd even say it's up there with DC jones as the best fight between two goats.

Last edited:
Anderson was unstoppable during his run.
He did shit nobody had seen before.
Well yeah, because he was fighting grapplers with rudimentary striking techniques. Mostly wrestle-brawlers with TDD defense and brawling-style haymakers that they used to stuff pure BJJ guys and wail on them like cavemen, while being able to just wrestle-hump anybody that had decent striking but no grappling.

Even Vitor was only successful under similar circumstances, where he'd use his superior athleticism, explosiveness and speed to overwhelm them rather than solid striking technique. Every time he fought somebody with somewhat decent striking and composure under pressure, he got clowned. Liddell clowned him, Couture outboxed him with ease, Reem forced him to panic wrestle and tapped him, even Sakuraba made him look foolish. I'll even leave out modern, post-TRT Vitor to be fair, and the only decent strikers he beat were Rockhold and Bisping while he was juiced to the gills. If Vitor couldn't overwhelm you fast with his speed and power, he was a sitting duck.

Well yeah, because he was fighting grapplers with rudimentary striking techniques. Mostly wrestle-brawlers with TDD defense and brawling-style haymakers that they used to stuff pure BJJ guys and wail on them like cavemen, while being able to just wrestle-hump anybody that had decent striking but no grappling.

Even Vitor was only successful under similar circumstances, where he'd use his superior athleticism, explosiveness and speed to overwhelm them rather than solid striking technique. Every time he fought somebody with somewhat decent striking and composure under pressure, he got clowned. Liddell clowned him, Couture outboxed him with ease, Reem forced him to panic wrestle and tapped him, even Sakuraba made him look foolish. I'll even leave out modern, post-TRT Vitor to be fair, and the only decent strikers he beat were Rockhold and Bisping while he was juiced to the gills. If Vitor couldn't overwhelm you fast with his speed and power, he was a sitting duck.

Holy hell. I write two lines and you come back with a wall of text...

Which I did not read by the way.

giphy-downsized.gif

What is wrong with you people...

I don't really remember RINGS rules; why wasn't Schilt allowed to tap him at 5:20 in the match? Was it a Pancras-style rope break or something?

EDIT: NVM I guess it was a special rules match with quick standups.

Holy hell. I write two lines and you come back with a wall of text...

Which I did not read by the way.

giphy-downsized.gif

What is wrong with you people...
I'd hardly call 7 sentences that you can read it 15 seconds a "wall of text."

Threads praising Anderson are like industrial fish nets to catch dumb haters.

Anderson is the GOAT and he forgives your bum souls.

Anderson Silva (GOAT MMA Striker) and Vitor Belfort are two of the greatest MMA strikers of all time.

Both guys were in their primes.

Anderson was on a 13 fight win streak and had 7 title defenses.

Vitor (former UFC 12 HW tournament champ) was in his prime as well. He was on a 3 fight KO streak with included victims such as Rich Franklin and the very scary KO of Matt Lindland.

And then this happened...

View attachment 371313

Losing the "C" from his name was the biggest mistake Vitor made in his career. He needs to bring it back, then he can be champion

In recent memory Dillashaw vs Garbrandt was an awesome high level striking match-up, same with Conor vs Aldo/Diaz.

8E95CAEC-74B1-405F-9EDD-92ACD14F1FE5.png

Like almost lose to Leites and get smashed by sonnen?

After Sonnen fight Silva did not have a mark on his face. He was coming in the fight with a back injury and I believe that since he smashed sonnen in the rematch. Oh and WTF are you talking about almost lose to Leites? Have you even seen the fight? Leites did nothing else than pull guard.

Back