Anderson Silva has had more boring fights than GSP.

lol reading comprehension is not your strong suit, I see. Even besides the fact you clearly didn't read my post, what makes you think everyone enjoys the exact same fighter, just because you like said fighter?

I find Tony Ferguson awesome and don't understand the hate but guess what, tons of people dislike him and guess what again? They're entitled to their own opinion.

"I didn't particularly find Silva to be an exciting fighter." That's what you said and I interpreted that as you don't find him exciting... where is the problem there? Some people hate Tony because he is cringe on the mic but almost everyone finds his fights exciting... I haven't seen one comment calling his style boring on Sherdog. My reading comprehension is fine and your use of examples isn't very good.

"I didn't particularly find Silva to be an exciting fighter." That's what you said and I interpreted that as you don't find him exciting... where is the problem there? Some people hate Tony because he is cringe on the mic but almost everyone finds his fights exciting... I haven't seen one comment calling his style boring on Sherdog. My reading comprehension is fine and your use of examples isn't very good.

So wait, I didn't say his finishes were exciting? I like how you're telling me how I should and should not feel about the entertainment level of a fighter. Literally the worst fans possible are the ones that tell you what you should and should not like.

I didn't find his style of fighting to be particularly exciting. When he got the finishes, they were cool as hell. Everything up to that point was usually slow and dull.

silva vs cote wasnt that great either.

Vs who? Which of the following fights did you find boring?
Serra 1 or 2 -- NO
Kos 1 or 2 -- No, but I can see an argument for the second fight being a jab fest
Fitch -- No
Hughes 1, 2 or 3 -- No
Penn 2 -- No
Alves -- No
Hardy -- Not boring, but annoying he didn't get the finish
Shields -- Boring
Diaz -- Boring, but it was Nicks fault
Hendricks - No
Bisping - No

Condit - No

So wait, I didn't say his finishes were exciting? I like how you're telling me how I should and should not feel about the entertainment level of a fighter. Literally the worst fans possible are the ones that tell you what you should and should not like.

I didn't find his style of fighting to be particularly exciting. When he got the finishes, they were cool as hell. Everything up to that point was usually slow and dull.

No you said his finishes were fantastic followed by "but what exactly is exciting about a guy that never engages his opponents ever?. Plus your first sentence was "I don't particularly find him exciting". For me Anderson had that "Oh shit" factor when you knew you could by moments away from another HL reel finish of top level competition. Nobody finished guys like Anderson did. Plus his fights against Sonnen 1&2, Vitor, Bisbing, Franklin and 1-2, Dan Henderson were all great fights with great finishes.

GSP/Koscheck 1
GSP/Alves
GSP/Hardy
GSP/Shields
GSP/Koscheck 2
GSP/Condit
GSP/Diaz

7 > 4

Last edited:
No you said his finishes were fantastic followed by "but what exactly is exciting about a guy that never engages his opponents ever?. Plus your first sentence was "I don't particularly find him exciting". For me Anderson had that "Oh shit" factor when you knew you could by moments away from another HL reel finish of top level competition. Nobody finished guys like Anderson did. Plus his fights against Sonnen 1&2, Vitor, Bisbing, Franklin and 1-2, Dan Henderson were all great fights with great finishes.

I didn't find the Vitor fight particular exciting......until the finish. What did they do before the finish? Nothing.

tbh we can talk about some of these fights.

Leben: exciting fighter but always limited and with no other skills than durability and chin, a fight booked to make Silva shine against a perfectly suited opponent
Lutter: a fight in which he pulled off a finish but a fight that he was losing
Henderson: he lost the first round decisively, then he pulled out another finish
Irvin: a "circus "fight between a huge MW and a really mediocre fighter that couldn't cut anymore
Griffin: while way better than Irvin we are talking about a fighter never considered really "elite", his heart and his TUF participation were the reasons of his popularity (and his "win" against Rampage is still debatable, while i think judges scored correctly as i can remember)
Sonnen: first fight was almost embarrassing, the second one started same way before Sonnen went full retard (on top of that i still think Sonnen talked his way to the ts)
Bonnar: like Griffin, he was evenpretty much retired att, never been a A grade fighter, even at his peak before TUF

GSP may be "boring" but his only fight in which he looked like he cannot impose his will was the last defense against Hendrix, a huge WW who literally fell in a downward spiral after USADA and that embarrassed himself with the talk about steroid and the WADA stuff before the fight.
On top of that i cannot remember an undeserved contender for GSP, Diaz apart, even Hardy - who was nowhere near a legit ts - was the best fighter available between the ones GSP had not already beaten.
I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm just saying Silva's fights were more fun to watch. Silva was not as dominant as GSP in a lot of them, but he would pull out the spectacular finish and win, in the end. Silva is a better showman and has a more exciting style. He is also a cheater and GSP is the better fighter.

The real conclusions should be:

1. Different fans enjoy different things in fights

2. The excitement level of a fight is based on what BOTH fighters do

Both Silva (PEDs or not) and GSP were absolute dominant champs. I generally enjoyed both of their careers and some of their fights are highlights in modern MMA IMO. Both guys were also in fights that I did not enjoy very much. Mostly because they were often so dominant that there was almost no sense of suspense.

GSP tended to dominate every minute of every fight. Silva was all about the explosive finish. What they had in common was extreme patience. Neither guy would break their discipline very easily.

I didn't find the Vitor fight particular exciting......until the finish. What did they do before the finish? Nothing.

For me it was the anticipation of two of the most technical and quickest strikers at MW facing off together... knowing that any shot could end the fight. When Vitor exploded with quick punches being dodged by Anderson like he was in the matrix I was at the edge of my seat.

GSP v -

Condit
Shields
Alves
Kos (1)
Hardy

All boring. The best part of the Condit fight was him getting his head kicked off.

The Hendricks fight was fun cause it was a back n fourth. The Bisping and Kos (2) fights were fun

Condit fight was one of, if not his most exciting fights lmao

Back